Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

High cal off days

Anita Blumpkin

Anita Blumpkin

TID Lady Member
Jul 19, 2023
I typically end up eating more on my off days vs my training days. From what I understand especially in the female body. This could contribute more to fat storage than lean mass production.
Wednesday is my mid week day off training and I'm typically very sore and fatigued that day, this week my back was absolutely destroyed. More than I intended. Despite that note though, I do typically allow myself to enjoy Wednesday night, eat some extra volume mainly carbs but fats to. Is there benefit to that? Considering I'm just sitting and chilling not training. My Sunday refeed is also on a non training day.
On my training days my highest carb meals are always placed around training.
Thoughts?
Does it matter enough to change my routine? If I want to build lean mass as sufficiently as possible.

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
Maybe I'm too old school, butI have always found that to bulk I need to eat a lot. Period. Meal timing and everything else is just secondary to eating a lot of food.

Same with cutting, but in reverse. Of course, you're a competitor so things could be different. But IMO, if you're trying to bulk....you can't eat enough protein, carbs and good fats. Couple cheat meals a week and call it a bulk.

Anita Blumpkin

Anita Blumpkin

TID Lady Member
Jul 19, 2023
Maybe I'm too old school, butI have always found that to bulk I need to eat a lot. Period. Meal timing and everything else is just secondary to eating a lot of food.

Same with cutting, but in reverse. Of course, you're a competitor so things could be different. But IMO, if you're trying to bulk....you can't eat enough protein, carbs and good fats. Couple cheat meals a week and call it a bulk.
Ya your not wrong that's for sure. A lot of it is individual to each person but ya I eat clean and eat more when I'm hungrier whish always seems to be on rest days.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
If you are eating in excess of the calories used for energy then they are going somewhere, muscle, glycogen/triglyceride storage and/or adipose tissue. Since they are carbs and fats, anything not used for energy or stored in the muscle is going to accumulate as bodyfat. You can carb up to replenish glycogen on your non-traning days if you are actually depleted on a low/no carb diet and usually be just fine as long as you do not overdo it. However, if you are eating a fair amount of carbs throughout the week and you also have high carb days. It is unlikely all those carbs are going to glycogen storage.

Also, I would suggest not having a high carb day with fats. This tends to pack on more bodyfat than just high carb days.

Anita Blumpkin

Anita Blumpkin

TID Lady Member
Jul 19, 2023
If you are eating in excess of the calories used for energy then they are going somewhere, muscle, glycogen/triglyceride storage and/or adipose tissue. Since they are carbs and fats, anything not used for energy or stored in the muscle is going to accumulate as bodyfat. You can carb up to replenish glycogen on your non-traning days if you are actually depleted on a low/no carb diet and usually be just fine as long as you do not overdo it. However, if you are eating a fair amount of carbs throughout the week and you also have high carb days. It is unlikely all those carbs are going to glycogen storage.

Also, I would suggest not having a high carb day with fats. This tends to pack on more bodyfat than just high carb days.
Yes thanks for the reminder. What would be too much fat during high carb windows? I typically go no fat pre workout and under 10g post and high carb for both meals around training.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Yes thanks for the reminder. What would be too much fat during high carb windows? I typically go no fat pre workout and under 10g post and high carb for both meals around training.
I always try and go with 0 grams of fat for each meal on the high carb days, but that is not realistic. There will always be trace amounts of fat in even the leanest meats, so I just try and stay as close to 0 grams as possible with no meals ever going over 10 grams. If I am going to have a cheat meal that is high in fat, I will have it as my last meal on my low day and adjust my schedule to two low days in a row with the cheat meal on the first low day.

My normal "off season" schedule is: MTh as medium days, TSa as high days and WFSu as low days. MTThSa are my training days. If I am having that higher fat cheat meal, I will move Saturday's training session Friday and make it a medium day. Saturday and Sunday will be back to back low days with the Saturday cheat meal. Overly complicated, but it works.

Kluso

Kluso

VIP Member
Oct 30, 2022
I think you should start a log here @Anita Blumpkin. Could be beneficial for the whole community and other women in the future to learn from. Another way to keep track of progress and figure out what’s working/ not working and get input from others. Think about it!

Anita Blumpkin

Anita Blumpkin

TID Lady Member
Jul 19, 2023
I always try and go with 0 grams of fat for each meal on the high carb days, but that is not realistic. There will always be trace amounts of fat in even the leanest meats, so I just try and stay as close to 0 grams as possible with no meals ever going over 10 grams. If I am going to have a cheat meal that is high in fat, I will have it as my last meal on my low day and adjust my schedule to two low days in a row with the cheat meal on the first low day.

My normal "off season" schedule is: MTh as medium days, TSa as high days and WFSu as low days. MTThSa are my training days. If I am having that higher fat cheat meal, I will move Saturday's training session Friday and make it a medium day. Saturday and Sunday will be back to back low days with the Saturday cheat meal. Overly complicated, but it works.
It's not complicated really. I could definitely keep a log on here. I do track my intake and have put on 10lbs since stage. I tend to just keep everything the same every day except Sunday I'll do no carbs until cheat meal that night.

1bigun11

1bigun11

MuscleHead
Oct 23, 2010
I can’t grow without a calorie surplus, and I can’t maintain a prolonged calorie surplus without getting a little fat. The fat comes off easy enough for me during prep. Till then, let’s get huge!

Anita Blumpkin

Anita Blumpkin

TID Lady Member
Jul 19, 2023
I can’t grow without a calorie surplus, and I can’t maintain a prolonged calorie surplus without getting a little fat. The fat comes off easy enough for me during prep. Till then, let’s get huge!
Ya I hear ya on that one lol I typically can't eat enough to get fatter than 19%bf but I'm trying to stay leaner and play with things a but more this off season. I'll start a log on my profile.

1bigun11

1bigun11

MuscleHead
Oct 23, 2010
Ya I hear ya on that one lol I typically can't eat enough to get fatter than 19%bf but I'm trying to stay leaner and play with things a but more this off season. I'll start a log on my profile.
Yeah that log will be interesting. Looking forward to it.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic