Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Joannafit

High Box Squats For Deadlift Assistance?

UncleAl

UncleAl

MuscleHead
Jun 20, 2012
We old school guys found the rack squat (bottoms up squat with pins set at sternum height) to be a very productive deadlift assistance movement, and you young guys swear by low box squats. How do you feel about something in between, like a paused squat from an 18" box? Worth a shot or just a jerk yourself off lift, like rack pulls from above the knees?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
We old school guys found the rack squat (bottoms up squat with pins set at sternum height) to be a very productive deadlift assistance movement, and you young guys swear by low box squats. How do you feel about something in between, like a paused squat from an 18" box? Worth a shot or just a jerk yourself off lift, like rack pulls from above the knees?

Not for conventional IMO no. Well really getting stronger in the posterior chain will help yeah. But a box squat is about pushing out. Not pulling back. Get what I mean?

I do high box squats for overload work often. I love them. But I also pull sumo. Maybe more carry over there

UncleAl

UncleAl

MuscleHead
Jun 20, 2012
Not for conventional IMO no. Well really getting stronger in the posterior chain will help yeah. But a box squat is about pushing out. Not pulling back. Get what I mean?
Yea. Good point. I pull with a deadlift only guy who is unable to squat deep, so I'm trying to find a variation we can use for assistance.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Front squat is a better lift for a deadlift builder.

UncleAl

UncleAl

MuscleHead
Jun 20, 2012
Front squat is a better lift for a deadlift builder.
Yes, it is. However, my training partner is unable to squat anywhere near parallel. I was hoping the consensus would be that paused high box is a viable alternative, since it still works the quads and rear chain nicely with sufficient weight on the bar. If not, barbell hack and rack squats will work.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
What is keeping him from squatting full range? Would a trap bar deadlift be do able for him ? Even a possible raised up trap bar.
I find it hits my quads well.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Curious what the parallel issue is. Knees?

Barbell hacks, front squat to a high box, zercher squat off pins or walked out, deficit pulls, box deadlift, chair deadlift. But hell do the high box squats. Why not? Leave no stone unturned!

UncleAl

UncleAl

MuscleHead
Jun 20, 2012
What is keeping him from squatting full range? Would a trap bar deadlift be do able for him ? Even a possible raised up trap bar.
I find it hits my quads well.
Double knee replacement and limited mobility. I'm going to try some correctives, but want to do workarounds in the meantime.

Love TBDLs, but unfortunately, the gym doesn't have the bar.

Thanks, Rotten.

UncleAl

UncleAl

MuscleHead
Jun 20, 2012
Curious what the parallel issue is. Knees?

Barbell hacks, front squat to a high box, zercher squat off pins or walked out, deficit pulls, box deadlift, chair deadlift. But hell do the high box squats. Why not? Leave no stone unturned!
He has had both knees replaced and has mobility issues. I am going to have him try the squat and in-line lunge portions of Gray Cook's functional movement screen to see where he's at, then (hopefully) recommend correctives. He was intrigued when he watched me do paused goblet squats, so we may start there.

Thanks for the list. I'm too much of a pussy to do Zerchers, but we'll try some of the other stuff. As always, appreciate your advice.

Last edited:
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Double knee replacement and limited mobility. I'm going to try some correctives, but want to do workarounds in the meantime.

Love TBDLs, but unfortunately, the gym doesn't have the bar.

Thanks, Rotten.

How old is your training partner?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic