Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Hey, came here to learn!

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
Thanks gents. Is there anyway that you could tell from my lift stats, age, and weight if I should even consider AAS yet?
BP 225
Squat 250
Dead 275
Overhead Press 165
Like I said, been doing Starting Strength, wife likes the improvement, no more beer gut, but I sure would like to hit
2xbw bench (330lbs) 2.5bw squat (412lbs) and 3xbw dead (495lbs) do you think that is realistically possible without gear at my age? Sorry if dumb question, the other forums I've been on do not answer gear related questions.

Those are huge numbers. I would say that if you have a full time job then it's not going to happen natty. At your height 165 is a touch on the light side. How long have you been training?

V

Vvancruz

Nov 5, 2013
Only a little over 2 years. I am a late starter. Always been ok w/ how I looked but I guess I'm hitting the middle age thing where 20-29 y/o girls no longer give me the time of day. That and I'm meeting new people that are into fitness. I can't get into the cross fit-balance on a bozo ball crap, but I do respect big squat and deadlift numbers. Like I said, I was getting pretty fat and lost the weight, now trying to get bigger without getting fatter but not sure how much time I have to accomplish my goals. I mean, can one still gain quality mass into their 50's and 60's natural? My diet is pretty good, 2500cal w/ 1g or more of protein per lb of body weight, I only take vitamins and fish oil, my blood work is perfect, low triglycerides, low bad cholesterol high good cholesterol, BP is great, over all healthy just 'small'. :(

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
I would give it one more year than reevaluate. You will make gains so it's not a lost year. You really need to figure out if training is going to be a way of life for you or if this is just a phase. Are you married? How long did you date befor you popped the question?

I see you said you have a wife.

Last edited:
V

Vvancruz

Nov 5, 2013
Married 13 years. Dated two years before that. Really good friends before that for a few years. Sold my motorcycle to buy her ring, so it must have been love! I'm allowed to look and flirt, just can't touch. :) Ha! My wife even sends pics of me shirtless to her girlfriends 'cause compared to their pot-bellied out of shape husbands/boyfriends I look pretty good. But then compared to most guys on here, I'm just plain small. I don't think it is a phase. Been in two years and every time I can add weight to the bar (and I started with just the bar) I get stoked. In that two years had a hernia, then had another surgery to fix a mistake with first hernia, then a third surgery to fix me cosmetically from the first two. Finally, got too proud one day and tried to deadlift too much and pulled my back out, slipped disk according to MRI so I am super careful on deads and squats, maybe a little scared really. Just telling you this b/c even though I've made progress, I am not where I thought I should be by now even after a couple of setbacks / injuries. Another guy who started same time I did (but 20 years younger) is already in the high 300s to 400s on the big lifts. I'm a little jealous, but youth has its benefits...

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
When my old lady shows me off it's the biggest compliment she can pay. It's so great that you can experience the feeling. You've earned it. Starting gear is kind of like getting married to the weights. There will be sacrifices and a divorce is messy at best. I have a herniated disc at L4-L5. I have learned how to work with it like you have. You can't compare yourself to a 20 something year old guy. You really shouldn't compare yourself to anyone but yourself. You are lifting more than you ever have and that is something to be proud about. Enjoy each step of the process. Enjoy each milestone. Sometimes we get so hung up on the end game. Guys are never satisfied and always want bigger and stronger but never stop to appreciate how far they have come. Then one day they wake up 60 years old and small and wonder where all the days went.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
Welcome to TID, thanks for joining.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
Welcome to the board.

There was a guy that went by the handle Here2Learn on a once popular board.
He was hilarious. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic