Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Hemocrit/thick blood and why it is important that we monitor it

Zeek

Zeek

Mar 18, 2012
Another one of my close friends let me know today that his hemocrit was 59! 50 and above is bad news and with all of the posts around the boards with people suffering strokes recently I feel we should put the spotlight on this potentially silent killer.

Hemocrit is in essence the volume % of RBC's(red blood cells) in the blood. The higher percentage of RBC in the blood, the higher the hemocrit and thicker the blood.

the thicker the blood the higher the possibility for clots, strokes and problems along those lines.

If you are a guy who cycles, be sure to check these important numbers before beginning a cycle!

If you are already borderline plan your cycle wiser and avoid the compounds known to agitate this situation such as EQ.

If you are on trt either by your own doing or a doc or clinic you should be testing at least 4 x pr year.

I hope this can serve as a wake up call to some guys in serious need of it.

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010
Amen, good post! Know mine was on the high side last year and got a wake up call I didn't like to much.
Nandrolone can be about as bad as EQ on boosting RBC , keep an eye on this one as well if you use high doses for long periods.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
And donating blood is a solution to this problem?

Zeek

Zeek

Mar 18, 2012
Thanks for pointing that out Shine!

POB, there are some dietary changes that can help this since foods high in iron and especially multi vitmains high in iron can really thicken our blood.

The only real treatment we have available to us is donating blood. You can expect to drop 1 point from your hemocrit on avg for each pint of blood you donate.

It really is something that we living this lifestyle are plagued by, even guys on trt dosages need to keep a close eye on this.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
Good post, I know 2 years ago mine was right at the border, but I haven't had it checked or given blood yet, so that might be happening in the near future here.

After running different cycles over the years, I've recently just decided to cut back and just cycle test or use my TRT dose, but I always feel the best and the sides from test are low.

Thanks for posting that.

Georgia

Georgia

Mar 31, 2012
Scary stuff. If I do another cycle I will be getting blood work done first.

Zeek

Zeek

Mar 18, 2012
Just keep an eye on things JackD and make changes where they are needed and you will be GTG for the long term even if just on trt dosages.

Guys over 30 probably need to keep a closer eye on this than the young bucks Georgia but I am glad you are understanding the importance of it. You are a good man lets keep you healthy!

Georgia

Georgia

Mar 31, 2012
Just keep an eye on things JackD and make changes where they are needed and you will be GTG for the long term even if just on trt dosages.

Guys over 30 probably need to keep a closer eye on this than the young bucks Georgia but I am glad you are understanding the importance of it. You are a good man lets keep you healthy!

I would so masseuse chop your thighs right now.

Yeah man. I try to take caution in anything I do. Thanks for looking out Zeek

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
This is pretty common to hear about in powerlifting circles. Lots of guys donating blood to help keep healthy. This can also run in families ( called polycythemia ( sp?)) and the usual treatment is just giving blood. One of the warning signs that you are getting your RBC count up there is itching badly when hot, either from exercise or after getting out of a hot shower.

Polycythemia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know wiki pages aren't great references, but it's a start.....

P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
The itchy thing is interesting. I used to get a really itchy scalp and neck area when I even remotely got warm. I though it was my sweat glands not functioning properly but nice to know if I get it again to check my rbc

MorganKane

MorganKane

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2012
I had an pulmonary embolism from AAS.
If you dont know what it is - blood clot to your lunge.

My hemocrit and hemoglobin is high. using AAS increases that.
Add high E2 and you are sliding towards danger. Thats why its so important to control estrogen.

Now I do phlebotomy every 2 months or so.
Normally I do one on a friday then wait a week or two then do another one.

AAS and GH will increase the H&H.

I highly recommend to donate blood every two months while on cycle.

I think the danger of AAS is under estimated because the bad shit that happens is not shown as AAS but strokes, clots, etc.

AAS is very powerful hormones and shouldnt be taken lightly.

B

Bionic Bill

Jul 27, 2012
Good post... i donate blood regularly now but it wasn't always that way... I actually had spots on my shins turn dark... went to several different docs and come to find out the darkening was from iron... They said i must have small amounts of blood seeping and the iron is staining my skin.

Back then i would run a gram of test for 6 months or so straight. Wasn't the brightest choice i ever made.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic