Members
Latest Member
SDUBUBLACK
What's New?

Head pain?

H

haydes55

Dec 11, 2013
Tl;dr pain in the back if my head after a warm up set sent me to hospital, what caused this?

Monday night was legs day, I lifted 240kg on the leg press for 15 reps for 3 sets (after warm up). Fairly intense workout and my legs felt the burn, but doing the last few reps I got a pain in the back/base of my skull which went away after I walked upstairs to the leg extension machine (cruel layout). The rest of legs day was fine.

Wednesday night was chest day, I warmed up for flat dumbell bench, 15 reps at 17.5kg 12 reps at 25kg and 10 reps at 30kg. This was fairly easy, not strenuous. I focused on breathing correctly and the squeeze of my pecs.

Here's where it gets weird. The pain in the back of my head comes back, mildly at first so I finished the set (warm up). I walk it off for 10 secs and the pain just gets worse and worse, I had to sit down then the back of my head feels a pain similar to if I had just taken a hammer to my head. I never lost consciousness or experienced blurred vision etc. My training partners took me to hospital. The pain kept coming in waves, I would feel fine, then a minute later a rush of pain would have me incapacitated.

I had a CT scan, found no issue.

Any idea what caused this? What can I do to prevent this happening again? Has this happened to anyone else?

Stumpy

Stumpy

Olé, Olé, Olé VIP
Sep 29, 2010
Are you training naturally, how is your blood pressure?

H

haydes55

Dec 11, 2013
Are you training naturally, how is your blood pressure?

Training natural, never taken roids.

I sometimes take preworkout shakes. I have protein shakes after workouts and a healthy diet.

My blood pressure was fine at hospital, slightly elevated but that was put down to stress at the time.

I've never had medical problems, I've only seen Doctors about 2 issues in the last 10 years, both broken bones from speedway crashes.

marx

marx

MuscleHead
Sep 29, 2010
How much water do you drink? Not enough water hits me with headaches, not that bad though!

H

haydes55

Dec 11, 2013
I drink between 2 and 4 liters every day. I have 3x700ml bottles of water every day at work and usually go through at least 2 more if I'm doing a workout. Water is definitely not the issue.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
I get these but not as intense as yours, when I push myself to the max. Drinking some gatorade or other drink with carbs in it usually helps. I would avoid preworkout drinks that have stimulators (caffeine, ephedra, etc.) in them.

H

haydes55

Dec 11, 2013
The main reason of head pain is change the weather or air. It effect on head and make pain.

well that's funny. My job sees me going in and out of hot environments every day up to 10 times per day. You'd think I would have reacted to a temperature change about 2 years ago.

Today I went from 18 degrees to 55 degrees to 20 degrees to 45 degrees etc.

We can rule out weather, humidity or any of that.

P

pepino

Jul 1, 2013
No high blood pressure? Scan showed no tumor? No NO before your workout or other stimulants?

Had a friend who played American football with me and now years later all of the hits that we took caught up to him because he can't squat without causing severe headaches.

You had previous crashes; perhaps you experienced concussions and they are now back to haunt you(?).

H

haydes55

Dec 11, 2013
No high blood pressure? Scan showed no tumor? No NO before your workout or other stimulants?

Had a friend who played American football with me and now years later all of the hits that we took caught up to him because he can't squat without causing severe headaches.

You had previous crashes; perhaps you experienced concussions and they are now back to haunt you(?).

BP was slightly elevated but not enough to worry about, and the Dr. Said it would be slightly higher due to the stress.

Scan showed no tumor and no bleeds.

I didn't have any pre workout before this workout. But I do sometimes use NO-xplode.

I've raced and crashed motorbikes from 12 years old til I was 20. Plenty of crashes, but never once been knocked out. I've had headaches after crashes, but nothing too bad. Neck and back haven't been broken or strained, but I have been to a chiropractor before to help because my back wasn't ideal.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic