Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Have you or would you?

Thrawn

Thrawn

MuscleHead
Jun 12, 2023
Since race is a social construct and self identifiable now would you, have you, or would you have your child select a different race to fill the diversity quota of a job, college application, or scholarship? And before you say the supreme Court struck it down for college admissions, colleges are already finding a workaround.
Example 1 when I was getting my MBA quite a few students from Brazil applied. Just about everybody in Brazil is mixed and they don't obsess over race as much as America does. The students that selected white(Even though they were all mixed)were not selected even though they had better scores than the diversity students. So would you play the system for an advantage?

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
Those questions are racist in themselves and I always factored they were fixed. I started picking other a long time ago.

K

KyleB

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2012
I think race, ethnicity, nationality all that is one of the most ignorant topics people discuss. Most can't even define the difference.

That being said, having seen the impact of genetic testing on my family has shown me that

-past generations may have said you were from 'x' country and really they were from less desirable 'y' and said it in hopes of giving future generations a more positive view of their history

-people just change last names to try and blur family history

I give all of these traits or labels of race, ethnicity, nationality etc zero value, you have to, if you want to try and view the world as unbiasedly as possible.

That being said, if my kid was a well to do individual, tried their hardest and wanted that edge or extra 1-2% on applications, go for it. I can't guarantee a similar kid in his position won't do the same. However I would tell them that if that is the route they choose they better have a back up plan other than saying 'i don't know' if they ever get questioned.

Thrawn

Thrawn

MuscleHead
Jun 12, 2023
I think race, ethnicity, nationality all that is one of the most ignorant topics people discuss. Most can't even define the difference.

That being said, having seen the impact of genetic testing on my family has shown me that

-past generations may have said you were from 'x' country and really they were from less desirable 'y' and said it in hopes of giving future generations a more positive view of their history

-people just change last names to try and blur family history

I give all of these traits or labels of race, ethnicity, nationality etc zero value, you have to, if you want to try and view the world as unbiasedly as possible.

That being said, if my kid was a well to do individual, tried their hardest and wanted that edge or extra 1-2% on applications, go for it. I can't guarantee a similar kid in his position won't do the same. However I would tell them that if that is the route they choose they better have a back up plan other than saying 'i don't know' if they ever get questioned.
I agree! What I love watching people get their DNA tested and find out they're not what they thought, while crying on YouTube. Here's a lighthearted one but some people it's pretty brutal to their whole self-identity.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I almost always select a different race each time the question pops up.

I had a fellow Marine when I worked on the General's staff who was white, but was actually born and raised for the first 10 or so years of his life in Africa. His parents were missionaries. We had quite a few black Marines on the staff and he would constantly remind them that he was the only true African American there.

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
The system in America is soooo fucked up right now that I myself identify as a detransitioning, black Ukranian refuge that walked across the Southern border.
I live like a KING.............
Take advantage every other MF'er does.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
Good thread topic, i've often had the same thoughts and questions run through my own head when filling out the race and ethnicity sections if needed on forms.

I mean, good ol' Elizabeth Warren is famous for it, as are many others.

It may all depend on where and who you are applying, I guess. I still always put Caucasian for mine, even though I have always wondered if puttin g somethibg else was more advantageous. I guess i'm just into being truthful......BUT, if i am gonna be screwed in the process, then I should have a plan in place. My kids are mixed, half white/mexican.

I know if i were to apply at Harvard, I would not put down i'm Asian, LOL!!!

It's all fukked to be honest, and it's used as a means to both favoritize and weaponize ideologies. IMO.

Thrawn

Thrawn

MuscleHead
Jun 12, 2023
Good thread topic, i've often had the same thoughts and questions run through my own head when filling out the race and ethnicity sections if needed on forms.

I mean, good ol' Elizabeth Warren is famous for it, as are many others.

It may all depend on where and who you are applying, I guess. I still always put Caucasian for mine, even though I have always wondered if puttin g somethibg else was more advantageous. I guess i'm just into being truthful......BUT, if i am gonna be screwed in the process, then I should have a plan in place. My kids are mixed, half white/mexican.

I know if i were to apply at Harvard, I would not put down i'm Asian, LOL!!!

It's all fukked to be honest, and it's used as a means to both favoritize and weaponize ideologies. IMO.
Anything that separates us into anything other human will divide us. People want to feel special or stand out, why do you think there are so many new pronouns (bug, demon, butterfly just a few I saw recently)and genders.
A controversial study was released where 1/3 of white college applicants lied about their race, 75% of those who lied claim they were native American.
Would I use it hell yea! I have no idea if it has helped me. It's possible Pacific islander and Asians get lumped in the same group which as we know is not a group you want to claim for admissions. ethnicity wise I'm Pacific islander and Polish(or Lithuanian or Russian or German) I mean Poland has been partitioned so many times throughout history. Seriously who admits to being polish lol. Got any good polish jokes? I have some pretty odd gene expression. Olive gold skin, left and right jaw to cheek can't grow facial hair, tried doing a goatee but after 4 months it looked like a normal person's week and a half. My head hair is THICK barber has to thin it out every time and it grows super fast. Daughter wanted me to grow it out and it could be Asian straight or Phil Spector afro no idea cause. Wow I got carried away on Gene expression but that gives me an idea for a new topic.

Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole

Jul 31, 2023
In today’s world, being human doesn’t appear to be enough albeit I guess it never has.
Many are those who have to belong to some grouping or tribe, as it were, in order to gain some sort of relevance that makes them feel special about themselves. e.g. The alphabet group is expanding into so many splinter groups so fast that I dare write that as I once knew what the initial 4 stood for, the other pluses are just confusing letters now.

It is indeed a given that certain groups are pretty self evident and in no need of introduction nor further study and just might need a leg up in the form of financial assistance due to whatever biases that might exist.
That said, assistance does not mean a life in that if one chooses to aspire to greater heights in life, one should have to be mentally and / or physically able to earn it.
An idiot with a gift of a chain saw doesn’t make him a lumber jack. It just makes him an idiot with a free chain saw.

The question proposed in the OP asks a question to wit my answer is no.
In the end, shortcuts do not work and even if they seemingly work for a period of time, the eventuality is that one finds that they did not provide enough knowledge to go through life with proficiency and honestly.
Whether it’s a federal assistance program or that free body building course on the back of a comic book, it’s just a carrot on a stick that has no real life teaching value to it.

Warhead14

Warhead14

TID Board Of Directors
Jul 23, 2011
I have no issue saying that I have several factors I use when looking to hire. Skin color isn't one of them. I want hungry, I want a GREAT ATTITUDE, I want raw, I want desperate, no fuckin wokies. If I sense you are a liberal by todays standard, c-ya. I have had some great success with dudes fresh out of prison. I am in construction and there is no time for paying attention to decorum, tone or image. Its black and white, to the point, no fucking around. I have so many kids coming to me with degrees that are soft as cotton and I can tell by interviewing them, they lack the right stuff. I have worked my entire life with "illegal aliens". They used to be hard AF, even they are going soft now. My buddy does the same work in Orgon and they use Russians and I hear the yare GREAT!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic