Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

have to noticed people are dumber when in groups

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I observed this in the military. It didn't matter the ranks, gender, military occupational specialty, race, etc... when grouped up with similar demographics it seemed the IQ of the group dropped considerably and they did stupid shit. One would expect this as normal behavior in the junior enlisted 18-20 year olds, but if you put a bunch of senior officers or senior enlisted in a group they would do the same dumb shit the junior enlisted 18-20 year olds would do. Especially, when alcohol was involved. However, if you had a group of senior officers or senior enlisted and you placed a younger officer or younger enlisted in the group, they would maintain their professionalism.

Thrawn

Thrawn

MuscleHead
Jun 12, 2023
I observed this in the military. It didn't matter the ranks, gender, military occupational specialty, race, etc... when grouped up with similar demographics it seemed the IQ of the group dropped considerably and they did stupid shit. One would expect this as normal behavior in the junior enlisted 18-20 year olds, but if you put a bunch of senior officers or senior enlisted in a group they would do the same dumb shit the junior enlisted 18-20 year olds would do. Especially, when alcohol was involved. However, if you had a group of senior officers or senior enlisted and you placed a younger officer or younger enlisted in the group, they would maintain their professionalism.
I see it all the time and it confuses me. Think I had to post about it today because when my daughter has a friend stay the night she turns into an absolute dumbass. Not disobeying, I think it's the ability to communicate, im not sure but I feel dumber just being around listening to them talk.

myosin

myosin

VIP Member
May 27, 2011

Social circle- pretty much the same.... If/when I do, I am VERY selective who spend time with... It's not necessarily about wanting to be around people who think the same way I do, it's more about their actual character and HOW they think, and that they actually DO think.

Many reasons, but yes, you're right...
- Mob mentality
- peer pressure
- social contagion: some are trying to debunk this but it's real

All you have to do is look at the last three years with the whole virus BS.

myosin

myosin

VIP Member
May 27, 2011
I see it all the time and it confuses me. Think I had to post about it today because when my daughter has a friend stay the night she turns into an absolute dumbass. Not disobeying, I think it's the ability to communicate, im not sure but I feel dumber just being around listening to them talk.
Not to derail your subject- One thing my late Father (Psychology Professor) taught me about having kids: always lay out your expectations of behavior BEFORE you go somewhere, or do something, etc...
Example: going to a restaurant

- Before you leave the house, tell them how they'll behave... try to avoid "dont' do this... don't do that" as they can sometimes focus on that more and then actually end up doing it... instead say, "You will behave this way ABC, XYZ, etc"... if anything, you can state the "don't run around the restaurant... don't.... don't..." in the beginning, then lay out all the "you will do abc... you will do xyz, etc"

- THEN, tell them when you get to the restaurant, store, etc, before going in

His point was how much harder it is to play "catch up" with kids while they're misbehaving.

The real cool thing- works in a lot of adult relationships too

Thrawn

Thrawn

MuscleHead
Jun 12, 2023
Not to derail your subject- One thing my late Father (Psychology Professor) taught me about having kids: always lay out your expectations of behavior BEFORE you go somewhere, or do something, etc...
Example: going to a restaurant

- Before you leave the house, tell them how they'll behave... try to avoid "dont' do this... don't do that" as they can sometimes focus on that more and then actually end up doing it... instead say, "You will behave this way ABC, XYZ, etc"... if anything, you can state the "don't run around the restaurant... don't.... don't..." in the beginning, then lay out all the "you will do abc... you will do xyz, etc"

- THEN, tell them when you get to the restaurant, store, etc, before going in

His point was how much harder it is to play "catch up" with kids while they're misbehaving.

The real cool thing- works in a lot of adult relationships too
Her behavior meets expectations, I absolutely believe in what Starship Troopers calls administrative punishment lol I've only had to do it once, at 4yrs old, single swat, chose to be defiant at a funeral. Now this random little boy maybe 6 at the pool this weekend his parents must have told him 15 times to squirt the water in the pool and not at people's faces. If I have to say it more than once it's done. The fuck you look that kid gave deserved a beating by itself. Anyway back to mine it's the interaction with other child, the gibberish, giggles, stupid stares and facial expression, shrinking vocabulary, mimicking, watch me/one up. One of my pushable buttons is when people act or portray like the person they are currently with and intellectual ability drops so many standard deviations my ti89 can't graph it. I could understand one or two deviations so you don't look like a pompous ass but not lizard brain

Thrawn

Thrawn

MuscleHead
Jun 12, 2023

Social circle- pretty much the same.... If/when I do, I am VERY selective who spend time with... It's not necessarily about wanting to be around people who think the same way I do, it's more about their actual character and HOW they think, and that they actually DO think.

Many reasons, but yes, you're right...
- Mob mentality
- peer pressure
- social contagion: some are trying to debunk this but it's real

All you have to do is look at the last three years with the whole virus BS.
Social contagion just look at the amount of kids claiming something besides male or female. I'll pull a study I just read

Thrawn

Thrawn

MuscleHead
Jun 12, 2023
@myosin
During the pandemic, unprecedented numbers of teenage girls worldwide began presenting tic-like disorders. The doctors treating them were taken aback. Like gender dysphoria, tic-like disorders had always been more common among young males. And, as with gender dysphoria, the girls that the clinicians were seeing had experienced a sudden onset of symptoms despite having no prior history of such disorders. Researchers found that this phenomenon was a “mass psychogenic illness,” a social contagion, linked to TikTok.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic