jacobss
What's New?

Guanajuato, Mexico

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
This is what I would recommend as far as staying in a hotel....

Don't find one off the beaten path. Stay in one that is in the city where a lot is going on. In some other states, for example in my ex-wife's state of Nayarit, some of the hotel/motels are places that the owners are either working for, or forced to work with the cartels. They 'allow' the cartels to have keys or to break into the room in the middle of the night to rob and kidnap people.

A few years back (2015) we visited my ex's town where she grew up. We were not able to stay in her house there because she was having it rebuilt, so we had to get a hotel to stay in for a few nights. We stayed in one shit-fest and decided to get a better one for the remaining nights. The next day we got one that was on the outskirts of her town that was well kept up, but off to it's self somewhat. Later that day, we met up with some of her family and her cousin, who was in his 30's at least, flipped out when he heard where we were staying. He straight out told us that if we went back to it that night, we would have had a visit, he was 100% sure of it. We had all our stuff with us in the car still, so we never even went back to return the keys or anything, LOL. We ended up getting another one a few towns over from her town, a more populated one in a good area. We had to drive 45 minutes back and forth, but it wasn't bad for those few nights. There just was nothing else to check in to between.

We didn't stay with her family because they had like 200000 people already living in their small houses, lol. They also did not have an AC!

Also, her town is a fairly small safe one that never has any issues, but there is a large river that separates it from a slightly more populated town. The other town is where most people go for their shopping and stuff.....but it's limited too, and not a large city. It doesn't even have a Soriana's, lol. Anyway, we are walking down one of the main streets there, and she is pregnant with our daughter by the way, and she was all in her own little naive world while a bunch of bangers were driving by calling me a puto and other names out loud. I was super vulnerable. It was the only time I ever felt unsafe. The fact she also was in her own world, pregnant, also bothered me. I had to lay down some lines at that point on what and where we were going.

I stand out I guess. I never really think of myself THAT big, but most guys down there are not very large framed, and the ones who are on the larger side are fat. All the people around where I live always call me John Cena, lol. If you are in a more touristy area, you will be fine, just be on the lookout and stay on guard. They will spot you out no matter what.

Also, for food and water....stick to bottled waters. Find a grocery store when you get there and go shopping. If they have a Soriana's, then they have a 'decent' food court where you can pick up some cooked meats and stuff. Save going out for breakfast and maybe dinner....at more touristy areas.

I always like to bring or buy some kind of antibiotic to take daily to help fight against food poisoning and traveler's diarrhea. You can ask your primary MD to prescribe it for you...or look one up and buy it down there.

Don't stash all your money in one spot on you...ie all in your wallet. lol.

Have an exit plan of sort if possible.

beefnewton

beefnewton

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2022
This is what I would recommend as far as staying in a hotel....

Don't find one off the beaten path. Stay in one that is in the city where a lot is going on. In some other states, for example in my ex-wife's state of Nayarit, some of the hotel/motels are places that the owners are either working for, or forced to work with the cartels. They 'allow' the cartels to have keys or to break into the room in the middle of the night to rob and kidnap people.

A few years back (2015) we visited my ex's town where she grew up. We were not able to stay in her house there because she was having it rebuilt, so we had to get a hotel to stay in for a few nights. We stayed in one shit-fest and decided to get a better one for the remaining nights. The next day we got one that was on the outskirts of her town that was well kept up, but off to it's self somewhat. Later that day, we met up with some of her family and her cousin, who was in his 30's at least, flipped out when he heard where we were staying. He straight out told us that if we went back to it that night, we would have had a visit, he was 100% sure of it. We had all our stuff with us in the car still, so we never even went back to return the keys or anything, LOL. We ended up getting another one a few towns over from her town, a more populated one in a good area. We had to drive 45 minutes back and forth, but it wasn't bad for those few nights. There just was nothing else to check in to between.

We didn't stay with her family because they had like 200000 people already living in their small houses, lol. They also did not have an AC!

Also, her town is a fairly small safe one that never has any issues, but there is a large river that separates it from a slightly more populated town. The other town is where most people go for their shopping and stuff.....but it's limited too, and not a large city. It doesn't even have a Soriana's, lol. Anyway, we are walking down one of the main streets there, and she is pregnant with our daughter by the way, and she was all in her own little naive world while a bunch of bangers were driving by calling me a puto and other names out loud. I was super vulnerable. It was the only time I ever felt unsafe. The fact she also was in her own world, pregnant, also bothered me. I had to lay down some lines at that point on what and where we were going.

I stand out I guess. I never really think of myself THAT big, but most guys down there are not very large framed, and the ones who are on the larger side are fat. All the people around where I live always call me John Cena, lol. If you are in a more touristy area, you will be fine, just be on the lookout and stay on guard. They will spot you out no matter what.

Also, for food and water....stick to bottled waters. Find a grocery store when you get there and go shopping. If they have a Soriana's, then they have a 'decent' food court where you can pick up some cooked meats and stuff. Save going out for breakfast and maybe dinner....at more touristy areas.

I always like to bring or buy some kind of antibiotic to take daily to help fight against food poisoning and traveler's diarrhea. You can ask your primary MD to prescribe it for you...or look one up and buy it down there.

Don't stash all your money in one spot on you...ie all in your wallet. lol.

Have an exit plan of sort if possible.

Thanks for this. I've got a ton of Cipro and Flagyl I can take a few packs with me. Really good idea to take prophylactically (not both).

I won't have the issue of standing out size-wise. I think I'll probably get one of those portable door stoppers as well, which should buy me time if someone starts trying to get through. Do you think getting one of the nicer rooms will make me stand out? I can change the reservation. My thinking is those that reserve the nice rooms are instant targets, with someone notifying "someone they know" the moment they check in. This hotel is dead center of the city, though. I have a belt that goes under clothing that holds things like wallet, phone, etc. Nothing will be kept in pockets, and I won't be wearing a watch. I'm also going to dig out and wear some old, worn-out shoes. Shirts will just be t-shirts. My shorts are cheap garbage. I need to get some budget jeans though, because I probably shouldn't wear Polos. Just trying to give myself the appearance that I'm not worth robbing, because like you said, I'm going to be noticed by someone no matter what. Airport, streets, hotel, wherever.

I made sure to get a hotel with AC. That's some scary shit about that place you originally reserved. I really wasn't planning on taking much cash.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
Why I don’t go to Mexico… who’s up for Brazil…

beefnewton

beefnewton

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2022
Brazil is actually the only other country I've been. Wasn't too impressed, and they aren't fond of Americans. I stuck to the resort and didn't venture out. Managed to get some kind of parasite, and the vendors/beggars were constantly pestering me on the beach. Many were children. "Aren't you supposed to be in some kind of school?"

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic