Threads
Members
Latest Member
BluueWater_Hunter

Going to start hitting up a PowerLifter Gym

Starwind

Starwind

Nov 6, 2011
Met up with some powerlifter and he is having me come in on Saturday to see what program I'd best fit in? Would like some more insight into beginner powerlifting stuff. I'm excited for it and not too sure as to what to bring. Anyone have any advice? I've only been working out in my garage for so long I haven't really pushed it like this place will I'm sure.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Just bring yourself. You'll learn what you need to buy once you're there.

J-dub

J-dub

MuscleHead
Feb 16, 2013
BI's right just bring yourself and you'll be fine. The only thing I can think of is to bring a lot to drink, I mix powder gatorade into a 1.5 gallon jug, about 1/2 strength.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Depending on the team you'll probably either end up jumping on to the whole team's training cycle, or have someone who knows what's up tell you to focus on a few things.

Coming from the perspective of a big lifter on a well known team I've seen a lot of new guys come and go - and be asked to stay the **** gone.
If you want to keep training with this team make sure that you get there a few minutes early to warm up - nobody likes to wait on anyone, especially someone with no vested interest in the team.
When you get there introduce yourself and say hi to everyone. We had a new kid come in last week who knew one of the guys, he just stared at me and the other bigger guys on our bench warming up, never said anything, and ran off after his 5 sets without saying hi or helping anyone. We all thought he was a mental midget and had no idea if he wanted to train or if one of the guys was training him as a client.
Ask questions and LISTEN - even if you don't agree. If you are hearing a bunch of crap then just don't go back, but the first day in the gym isn't the time to show off your knowledge of other people's training programs.
Spot and load for everyone - regardless of how scared you are of the weight or how tired you are.
Thank everyone for their help and keep coming back. Everyone is always looking for reliable training partners.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Those are GREAT points Porky made.

Be early, be ready to work, be positive, be ready to learn, and be ready to help clean up when everyone's done.

Starwind

Starwind

Nov 6, 2011
I am very modest and not at all cocky. Meeting with a single guy who said he would point me in the right direction with one of their programs. I will be sure to be as helpful as I can be. I'm extremely thankful to have found such a place so close to home and 40 a month doesn't sound too bad to me. I am curious about shoes. I have a pair of chucks or a pair of new balance minimus shoes. What would be best? Thank you all for your input.

Warrior45

Warrior45

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 9, 2012
Depending on the team you'll probably either end up jumping on to the whole team's training cycle, or have someone who knows what's up tell you to focus on a few things.

Coming from the perspective of a big lifter on a well known team I've seen a lot of new guys come and go - and be asked to stay the **** gone.
If you want to keep training with this team make sure that you get there a few minutes early to warm up - nobody likes to wait on anyone, especially someone with no vested interest in the team.
When you get there introduce yourself and say hi to everyone. We had a new kid come in last week who knew one of the guys, he just stared at me and the other bigger guys on our bench warming up, never said anything, and ran off after his 5 sets without saying hi or helping anyone. We all thought he was a mental midget and had no idea if he wanted to train or if one of the guys was training him as a client.
Ask questions and LISTEN - even if you don't agree. If you are hearing a bunch of crap then just don't go back, but the first day in the gym isn't the time to show off your knowledge of other people's training programs.
Spot and load for everyone - regardless of how scared you are of the weight or how tired you are.
Thank everyone for their help and keep coming back. Everyone is always looking for reliable training partners.

That's a great post porky!

One thing I do have to say about myself, usually being the biggest/strongest guy in the gym, I think I intimidate the noobs sometimes, and come off the wrong way and that is why they don't say hello or even look at me. I have to remind myself this a lot because I get pissed off and automatically think the noob is a prick when actually I just scare the crap out of them....and they probably don't mean any disrespect.

It took my wife to get me to realize this, I never realized it myself, she pointed it out to me that I can be pretty intimidating naturally.

So I am saying this to say that us big guys need to be aware that our presence alone in the gym or powerlifting club can make noobs change their behavior when they are probably pretty cool bros, they are just intimidated lol.

RageBlanket

RageBlanket

Feb 13, 2013
What's your training background, OP?

any1uno

any1uno

MuscleHead
Dec 22, 2010
an open mind and willingness to learn. It's an addiction you'll never regret.

Starwind

Starwind

Nov 6, 2011
What's your training background, OP?

I've only trained at smaller gyms. Biggest one I ever trained at was a 24 hour fitness. I don't do any sports or anything. I do it all for a hobby if anything i guess. Built a home gym two years ago with a power rack, ironmasters, horse stall mats, etc. However, being in that garage 4 times a week is kinda demotivating. So I reached out to try something new. All around here there is a crossfit gym opening once a month and I'm not really into that. I remember growing up watching the strongman competitions and really liked seeing these guys pull and push unbelievable amounts of weight. I just always wanted to be a part of it. Seems a lot better than a regular gym, and a new experience is always fun. I'm 200lbs 6'1" at about 14%bf so I'm not big.

Last edited:
RageBlanket

RageBlanket

Feb 13, 2013
Then I offer this when visiting a PL gym; forget what you know, get ready to WORK (not insinuating you don't) in a way you're not accustomed to, and ask questions.

PL is a different game, that draws a unique crowd. I've not been part of a "community" that's more willing to help other people grow. No vanity, no bullshit, just lifting heavy and being awesome.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic