Latest Member
angelarbatt
What's New?

Get Your Tickets to the Gun Show

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Tiny pathetic looking biceps??? Front delts and thick forearms overpowering the bicep???? Try this out to spark up some serious fire in the belly of that muscle >:)

1. Prior to the actual biceps workout warm up thoroughly with a couple of light high rep sets. I have done this from day one and have never experienced any injury problems.
2. For growth, you have to train as heavy as possible within the recommended rep range.
3. For the first two sets (16 and 12 reps, respectively), use a weight that allows you to just complete the required rep range without failure occurring.
4. For the last two sets, use a weight for which failure occurs at the 10th and eight rep marks, respectively.
5. Don't go past failure into the forced rep zone. Not doing forced reps is another reason (besides warming up thoroughly) why I feel I've remained uninjured.
6. Use strict style without bending your torso. During a real heavy set of barbell curls, you may have to cheat a little to complete the last two reps or so, but don't cheat until it's impossible to complete the set without doing so.
7. As you complete each rep, visualize the biceps working, make mental contact with the muscle as it rolls into a contraction, and form an image of the peak swelling.
8. Particularly during the last two sets of each exercise, aim for the maximum pump and stretch of the fascia.
9. Rest between sets only for 30 to 45 seconds.
I use cables often because they offer the opportunity to exert stress and, therefore, greater muscle stimulation during the negative (downward) phase of a rep. During this downward phase, you can control the weight and release it slowly in a way that free weights just don't allow.

When I do single arm cable work, I complete one set with my left arm and then go straight back to my left and so on until I've completed four sets with each arm. Basically, I'm curling nonstop. The rest periods allowed each arm are only long enough to allow the time it takes to work the other arm.Curling in this nonstop manner ensures that I get a great pump, and the mechanics of the cable apparatus makes the rhythmic completion of sets very easy to do. With free weights, I'd have to gather four sets of dumbbells around me, but with cables, I just alter the pin in the machine and proceed from one poundage to the next

If your biceps are a weak bodypart, don't be afraid to train them several times a week. Getting the blood and nutrients into the muscle more regularly will spur them into growth, and your mental desire to improve will drive you to success.

----PoB----

Snachito

Snachito

Oct 8, 2010
Thank you POB this is EXACTLY my problem and I'll try some of your pointers!! If I do a front double everything looks good, but I just don't have biceps that "Pop" plus they aren't thick/wide if you look at them from the front (I think this is a brachialis problem)!! I'll try this out as I measured my arms first thing this morning and my right one is barely over 18 cold, left one is just under 18 cold and I want 20 inchers BADLY!!

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
No problemo brother...

HisAngriness

HisAngriness

Fancypants VIP
Mar 23, 2011
i would like to elaborate on these "cheated reps" you speak of.
it's ok to cheat the last rep or two up, but too many times i see guys swinging it up utilizing too much back. man, that shit hurts MY back just watching. try using more hips and legs to cheat it up if you must. also, once you get that cheated rep up, try to focus on lowering it back down as slow as you possibly can, controlling the negative. this way you are at least still working the intended muscle(s) for the exercise. otherwise you're just swinging a bar up and down while accomplishing nothing but risking back injury...

GreatGunz

GreatGunz

VIP
Jun 10, 2011
I personally am a very strict form lifter,My biceps training is intense and as you have mentioned PB I too use the higher rep range to the heavest work sets,Out of personal prefference I do not ever use cheat reps but this is just me....

PitbullNS

PitbullNS

MuscleHead
Aug 27, 2011
Great post POB, I like to stress to people that the bicep has 2 heads on it and if one is lacking more then the other there are ways to hit one head more then the other.

Ogre717

Ogre717

TID Official Lab Rat
Jul 22, 2011
I grew up with the mentality that form was everything. if your doing it wrong or cheating, your not reallying doing it. I understand the concept behind a cheat rep but if your cheating, that extra set doesnt help you build the bicep, its helping you build whatever set of muscles that moved the weight, because your bicep didnt.
Great post POB, I like to stress to people that the bicep has 2 heads on it and if one is lacking more then the other there are ways to hit one head more then the other.
Please elaborate on this.

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
Consider a cheat rep as a spotter... Just like ur spotter shouldnt be doing rows with every rep when you bench... You shouldnt be cheating every rep when you curl...

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I grew up with the mentality that form was everything. if your doing it wrong or cheating, your not reallying doing it. I understand the concept behind a cheat rep but if your cheating, that extra set doesnt help you build the bicep, its helping you build whatever set of muscles that moved the weight, because your bicep didnt.
Like gstacker says below they are like forced reps from a spotter... Your bi's are still involved to a great degree. Just a little momentum to get the bar going but you should still contract hard.

Please elaborate on this.

Bi meaning two. The short head (closest to body) and long head (away from body) make uP the bicep. If you rub your bicep for a bit you can feel where the separation is usually an if you're LEAN you can see it.

The old addage is narrow grip works long head wide grip hits short head. Direction of the palm or rotation of the wrist during the curl affects where you target. Experiment and see what you get!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic