Latest Member
Joannafit
What's New?

Gastric Bypass Surgery - Our Story!

MightyMouse719

MightyMouse719

National Champion & VIP Member
Jul 8, 2011
You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers, Hanni. Hope you get some good progress and good news soon regarding your wife's health.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hey bro,

Sorry to hear about that, tuff news to digest here, I will keep you two in my prayers.

My advice would be see if the surgery can be reversed? I am not sure, but it could be an option, then she just exercises and eats right. I am sorry bro.

Hanniballickedher

Hanniballickedher

MuscleHead
Dec 12, 2010
Thanks to all of you, she talked to them this morning and is waiting for an appointment. I talked to her about reversing it and we both agreed, the problem is it has been 8 years now and don't know if it is possible. It feels good to know people care, 24 years is a long time with the same person.

dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
Hey Hanni, I am a gastric bypass patient, now almost 12 years post op, and my mom was almost 2 years before me.... I watched my mom struggle with this, saying nothing is wrong etc..... soooo here is all I can offer as I was lucky, just had full blood test and the only thing that's low is free iron, but was also days before my period when I dip anemic normally..... sooo for me my mom she has a similair story, puking, can't eat, weight loss, injuries, and pain... the pain here was the kicker, 2 years of debillitating double her over pain went undiagnosed... until FINALLY they found she had acid reflux going down in to her intestines because of the remodelling of her digestive tract...a nexium daily and she miraculously healed, could eat again, and stopped puking!

For me I still puke time to time when I get something too big to fit through the opening, but I was having some severe sporadic chest pain, it was also debilitating, but random, and short lasting... saw my doc, turns out I also have a reflux type issue, not presenting normally due to the surgery.... a quick tums advantage or prilosec at onset wipes it out....

I know you didn't want advice.. but for someone who has seen and esperienced over 2 years of watching my mom dying from the same set of circumstances , undergoing multiple unneeded invasive surgical procedures(hysterectomy being one) I thought I would share my experience...

If you ever need anything or more info get in touch!
Well wishes to you and your wife

kingkrazy1012

kingkrazy1012

Dec 1, 2011
24 years is a long time. Being with the same person for that long is not easy.

I have been with my wife 13 and as pissed off as I can get I would hate to lose her.

keep up the faith.

Hanniballickedher

Hanniballickedher

MuscleHead
Dec 12, 2010
Hmmm I will see if someone has some Nexium just for her to try for a few days. Thanks.

dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
Hmmm I will see if someone has some Nexium just for her to try for a few days. Thanks.

Otc omeprazole, double dose is about the same effect, same time, in a.m. before eating, give it 7 to 10 days

Hanniballickedher

Hanniballickedher

MuscleHead
Dec 12, 2010
She found some, she is going to give it a try, thank you SO much, I will let you know how it goes.

P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
I knew somebody that was having a very hard time with her surgery for years. couldn't eat, vomiting, etc. She finally had another GI take a look at her and discovered that her pouch developed another pouch and it was holding food without anywhere for it to go. She had it fixed and most of her issues are gone now. I wish you the best of luck finding a solution to your wifes problems quickly.

Last edited:
Hanniballickedher

Hanniballickedher

MuscleHead
Dec 12, 2010
Well, she was admitted to the hospital last night after spending 10 hours in the emergency room due to all the beds being full. What prompted this was she passed out 2 times in the last 2 days and is to weak to walk, well as you know she had back surgery 8 weeks ago so now that has been aggravated. They have her on IV's for pain meds and hydration and I am sure that soon they will feed her that way until she can eat. Gonna be a long process.

dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
But worthy, thanks for update Hanni! I hope that with some nutrition back into her she can then start on a path to full recovery

Mrs.V.

Mrs.V.

TID Lady Member
May 29, 2011
I am 14 years post op for the original gastric myself and cannot absorb ANYTHING either...

Went to the doctor a couple of years ago and was diagnosed as malnourished as well...

Since then ALL of my vitamins HAVE to come Sublingual, injection or liquid (Golden Age)...My food comes in Slim fast, Atkins shakes, Boost, etc...

I'm not certain about the reverse, but I have heard the original one, like I had and I believe she has had to NOT reversible...I weighed 447 lbs when I had mine done and lost 320 lbs but was VERY weak and always tired, gaunt and sick...I had 22 lbs of skin removed as well...I was told in 1998 that I would be dead if I didn't have this surgery done, so in one way i am glad I had it, but in the end, this surgery did a lot more harm to me...Even though I am still alive today and at one time would have recommended the surgery, I am NOT a fan of it anymore...Lap Band, maybe...But damn, this surgery is tough years later...

I hope she is doing better today...Keep us posted...My heart is with you both...

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic