What's New?

Future bacon

• Thread starter The other Snake
  • Start Date
The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
As some of you know, every year I get 2 piglets to raise and have butchered the first week of Nov. I normally get them a month earlier but we had vacation and no one to tend to them.

Just got them on Monday and they are about 60 lbs. They have to be 225 by Nov. or the bacon is not wide enough for my liking plus the hams will not be fatty enough and will come dry. Nothing like a real fresh smoked ham on the Thanksgiving table!

pr54DRg.jpg

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
As some of you know, every year I get 2 piglets to raise and have butchered the first week of Nov. I normally get them a month earlier but we had vacation and no one to tend to them.

Just got them on Monday and they are about 60 lbs. They have to be 225 by Nov. or the bacon is not wide enough for my liking plus the hams will not be fatty enough and will come dry. Nothing like a real fresh smoked ham on the Thanksgiving table!

pr54DRg.jpg

Awesome!...How long will the meat last, friend!....Have u experimented with various ways to feed them for flavor purposes?....Curious?...

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Awesome!...How long will the meat last, friend!....Have u experimented with various ways to feed them for flavor purposes?....Curious?...

Your packed weight normally comes in about 70-75% of the on the hoof weight. Ballpark I get about 350 lbs back depending on how it's done. We spread the consumption out over the year. I get about 35 lbs of bacon back with good size pigs. With the scrapple and pork roll, I can spread it out over the year for Sunday breakfast. I have a few chest freezers they go in with a deer or two I get hunting, not to mention a 1/4 beef. My young men can eat!

I have given them eggcorns as a finisher but you can only round up so many eggcorns from the my woods. Truthfully, never tasted a difference. Plus they eat a lot once they are big. The 2 of them will go through a 50 lb bag of feed every other day.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Here is bacon.....my wife buys pork belly at the meat market and seasons it Italian style an dlets it cure. After 3 weeks it is ready to be sliced.

Bacon.jpg
I'd be afraid I'd get that wrong and everyone in the house would be puking. lol

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
So with the amount you need to feed them does this still come out in your favor moneywise?

My November calendar is wide open at this point as an fyi...

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Final product for a Sunday morning breakfast: Scrapple, smoked sausage, pork roll, home fries and bacon. I make my own home fries but the potatoes are not mine. If I make eggs, they are from my chickens but I'm no egg eater.

CbzkMfF.jpg

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
Final product for a Sunday morning breakfast: Scrapple, smoked sausage, pork roll, home fries and bacon. I make my own home fries but the potatoes are not mine. If I make eggs, they are from my chickens but I'm no egg eater.

CbzkMfF.jpg

Oh dear lord, that looks, so, so GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!..

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
Your packed weight normally comes in about 70-75% of the on the hoof weight. Ballpark I get about 350 lbs back depending on how it's done. We spread the consumption out over the year. I get about 35 lbs of bacon back with good size pigs. With the scrapple and pork roll, I can spread it out over the year for Sunday breakfast. I have a few chest freezers they go in with a deer or two I get hunting, not to mention a 1/4 beef. My young men can eat!

I have given them eggcorns as a finisher but you can only round up so many eggcorns from the my woods. Truthfully, never tasted a difference. Plus they eat a lot once they are big. The 2 of them will go through a 50 lb bag of feed every other day.

Da gum!....U make me want to start hunting again!....Impressive to say the least!!!!...

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
So with the amount you need to feed them does this still come out in your favor moneywise?

My November calendar is wide open at this point as an fyi...
Just call head before you get to the house to avoid getting bit, shot or possibly both.

Oh fuuk no! I kept track one year and you could buy it in the store on sale cheaper. That doesn't take into account my time. Commercial farming practices have little to no waste or labor. They do it on sheer volume. As an example, you can buy a 12 lb turkey ready to cook cheaper than I can buy a live one. You want some fun? Try butchering a turkey and removing all those feathers.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic