Members
Latest Member
jacobss

For you little guys.

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I've learned the only person I need to compare myself to or compete with is me.

To me, as long as I'm winning those, I'm always doing better and improving.

That's what this is about for me.

I couldn't care less what anyone else is doing.

If there doing great, that's awesome, I'm not a hater.

I'd rather see someone come out ahead.

HDH

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
You are correct. Strength does not scale linear. It is allometric. Wilks takes this into account.

Case and point. Little annoying boys, who just started powerlifting and have some cronies around them telling them they're awesome so they come online and start running their mouths, are always talking about their wilks coefficient.

Wilks is a garbage formula, as are all of the rest. There isn't a formula, and never will be, that takes into account everything necessary to determine relative strength. In my opinion, relative strength is about as useless as relative speed. Is Usain Bolt NOT the fastest man ever because he's taller than everyone else? Does your relative strength matter when you have to arm wrestle me for the last Twinkie on earth?

How do you account for the length of my limbs? The proportion of my arms to torso? The total weight over my knees when squatting 650 at 300lbs (maybe close to 900lbs?). I could go on and on. Even as far as, how do you account for "old man strength"? There is no way to figure it all out. Just be happy for your 1400lb total and don't try to compare yourself to other people, especially people bigger than you that have absolute strength far beyond yours. That could be hazardous.

Last edited:
S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
LOL at old man strength. old man strength > everything!

69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
Case and point. Little annoying boys, who just started powerlifting and have some cronies around them telling them they're awesome so they come online and start running their mouths, are always talking about their wilks coefficient.

Wilks is a garbage formula, as are all of the rest. There isn't a formula, and never will be, that takes into account everything necessary to determine relative strength. In my opinion, relative strength is about as useless as relative speed. Is Usain Bolt NOT the fastest man ever because he's taller than everyone else? Does your relative strength matter when you have to arm wrestle me for the last Twinkie on earth?

How do you account for the length of my limbs? The proportion of my arms to torso? The total weight over my knees when squatting 650 at 300lbs (maybe close to 900lbs?). I could go on and on. Even as far as, how do you account for "old man strength"? There is no way to figure it all out. Just be happy for your 1400lb total and don't try to compare yourself to other people, especially people bigger than you that have absolute strength far beyond yours. That could be hazardous.
I have to say I think the mechanical advantage of short arms is something I take into account when I watch a lift. A guy that is 6'4" with a 6'6" armspan making a big lift is far more impressive to me than someone who is 5'7" with trex arms.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
I agree 100% with the OP here.....

I'm tired of hearing people bitch about this. Case in point: go watch Robert Wilkersons video of his 495# overhead press... scrawny dudes are all up on youtube commenting about how it sucks because he weighs 400#.... You know, it's still 495#.

I had it out with a local lifter ( friendly-like, no hate) about this. He's 5'3" and 190#, I'm 6'4" and 310#... how about we factor in height? My deadlift lockout is at his sternum. I pull the bar a foot farther LOL

People need to get over this shit. Weight lifted is weight lifted. If gaining weight automatically made you stronger there'd be a lot more 400# guys walking (waddling) around.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011

OK dude.....You sure have a lot of class. First off, I am 40 years old, so I am not sure who you are calling a 'little boy'. Second, I have NEVER said I was a powerlifter. Actually I have stated many times that although it is something I would like to pursue, I have A LOT to learn about it.

Wilks is a garbage formula, as are all of the rest. There isn't a formula, and never will be, that takes into account everything necessary to determine relative strength. In my opinion, relative strength is about as useless as relative speed. Is Usain Bolt NOT the fastest man ever because he's taller than everyone else?

Yes....relative strength is pointless (read sarcasm). That is why weight classes are such a dumb idea.

Does your relative strength matter when you have to arm wrestle me for the last Twinkie on earth?

No but my relative intelligence does ;). You are out of your league buddy.....by A LOT more then your 100lbs of bodyfat.

How do you account for the length of my limbs? The proportion of my arms to torso? The total weight over my knees when squatting 650 at 300lbs (maybe close to 900lbs?). I could go on and on. Even as far as, how do you account for "old man strength"? There is no way to figure it all out.

Semantics....you can argue this till the ends of the earth. The simple and accepted ways of doing this is weight classes and Wilks or Schwartz Malone. Dont argue with me...it is the way the sport is constructed. But there is merit to it for sure.

Just be happy for your 1400lb total and don't try to compare yourself to other people, especially people bigger than you that have absolute strength far beyond yours. That could be hazardous.

Really?... My total is quite a bit more then that.....(approaching 1550 @198 40 years old. WITHOUT the need to overly rely on compounds to do it.) but in the end, I compete with myself.

You seem like a big bloated big mouth. And no, I am not intimidated by you and would say the same in real life. I am cool that you are who you want to be. Good for you. But to be totally frank, I would NEVER want to be as fat as you are. Nor would go want to use the amount of PED's you use. (Just my prerogative) If you like it, more power to you. Personally I enjoy having a 31" waist and a 49" chest and blood pressure that is 110/80. I enjoy the ability to do close to 40 wide grip pullups. I enjoy being athletic and looking good. I also enjoy being strong.

Could I be stronger if I got fatter?....probably, my strength really dips off as I approach 10% range....but looking fat and bloated is not a desire of mine. More power to you.

Last edited:
any1uno

any1uno

MuscleHead
Dec 22, 2010
In powerlifting it's not fat...it's called leverage! Get it right!

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Ok.....I have to post this. This is funny sh!t.

All this big talk from the 300lb guy about his absolute strength.... And these are your PB's as of 3 months ago.

Squat - 600
Bench - 410
Deadlift - 615

Will be smashing those PRs in May at my next meet, guaranteed. Looking for 620/425/655 for a 1700 total.

So lets get this right. You outweigh me by 100lbs....and you bench a whole 5lbs more then me. My deadlift is 5 lbs more then you. You have me quite a bit on squats. (I knowingly have work to do in that area).

Dude you are funny as sh1t. Get over yourself. And dont forget, I'm not a powerlifter. Never claimed to be one. (I would like to learn more about the sport and compete in the near future). I still have a 31" waist and abs moving the weight I do.

Wow..... MIND BLOWN....

Last edited:
PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Mac has something gotten into you lately? Just been sitting back watching the posts. Its almost like there is a whole other person sitting behind your keyboard.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Mac has something gotten into you lately? Just been sitting back watching the posts. Its almost like there is a whole other person sitting behind your keyboard.

I am a pretty low-key guy, and I respect most anyone that works to improve REGARDLESS of their level of achievement. Reading some of SAD's posts and his "I am huge and better then all the little people" posts is really getting on my nerves. I have no problem pointing out that he should shut his mouth and that he really is not all that strong.

I am of the school that there is strength in humility and respect. We all are similar in our goals to be better then we were yesterday....whether bodybuilder or powerlifter. I respect that. There is always someone stronger out there. And if someone thinks they are all that, I dont mind deflating their ego.

Apparently it really aggravates him as he felt the need to make a thread about me and MF. (the Wilks crew as he put it)

I hope I do not come across as a prick as there are a BUNCH of guys who have helped me out tremendously. When they post, I listen as I have learned a great deal. So...I am still the same guy, but I can only take so much bloated BS talk before I snap a little.

69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
I am a pretty low-key guy, and I respect most anyone that works to improve REGARDLESS of their level of achievement. Reading some of SAD's posts and his "I am huge and better then all the little people" posts is really getting on my nerves. I have no problem pointing out that he should shut his mouth and that he really is not all that strong.

I am of the school that there is strength in humility and respect. We all are similar in our goals to be better then we were yesterday....whether bodybuilder or powerlifter. I respect that. There is always someone stronger out there. And if someone thinks they are all that, I dont mind deflating their ego.

Apparently it really aggravates him as he felt the need to make a thread about me and MF. (the Wilks crew as he put it)

I hope I do not come across as a prick as there are a BUNCH of guys who have helped me out tremendously. When they post, I listen as I have learned a great deal. So...I am still the same guy, but I can only take so much bloated BS talk before I snap a little.
How tall are you? I'm not sure you understand how much of a disadvantage it is being as tall and long as SAD.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic