Favorite calf exercise / Staple

Discussion in 'Training' started by HDH, Dec 17, 2014.

1. HDH

HDH TID Board Of Directors

Sep 30, 2011
    I like the seated, plate loaded calf machine.

You could do it with any type of machine but I always seem to get more out of the seated.

I hit it pyramiding weight up, a 2 to 3 second hold at the top and a 4 second negative. I'm doing a hold but not a squeeze or attempting mind to muscle because of catching cramps. I add weight after every set. At the last set, I lean forward and strip the weight while up in the hold position until the 2 45s remain and hit some forced reps with the same hold and negative.

Total sets- 5 - 6. All sets are hold and slow negatives.

I start with a 45 on each side for 10 reps with the hold and negative. Plenty of gas left but focusing on the heavier weight as I work through the sets.

2nd set, add 10lb to each side for 9 reps.

3rd set, add 10lb to each side for 8 reps.

4th set, add 10lb to each side for 6 reps.

5th set, add 25lb to each side for 3 then strip 25s on hold. Then 3 for each 10lb and strip on holds.

Pump the 2 45s to failure and force up, hold and negative for 3 or 4.

Depending on my time, routine or overall strength during the sets, I sometimes add an additional strip set, same as set #5. Only about 25% of the time though. Leg day can get pretty rough.

Burn yo chit up :)

What are your favorites?

2. HDH

Sep 30, 2011
    Bumpin' this up.

Whatcha doin' for calves folks?

3. Akhusker

Akhusker Member

Dec 25, 2014
    Nothing, I'm genetically blessed with footballs for calves. I haven't worked them in years
  4. HDH

Sep 30, 2011
    I hate you... J/K :D

I know a couple guys like that.

Mine started off pretty small and I had trouble for a while until I just kept at it and tried different things.

I also like using the donkey calf machine. 4 sets only but two sets ankles are turned in and two sets ankles are turned out.

I have to lower the weight a little when turned out because it puts to much pressure on my knees and ankles.

5. 5.0

5.0 VIP Member

Nov 3, 2012
    I've been doing slow single leg raises while holding db. The burn is crazy! I have problems growing these lil fukrs so I'm looking to see what works for others as well!
  6. Gregger

Gregger MuscleHead

Dec 16, 2012
    BW calf raises... 4 x 100
    is my goto but like calf presses on the leg press as well
  7. HDH

Sep 30, 2011
    I went out of the norm tonight with no holds or negatives and burned those ****ers down for reps, all three exercises :athrashi:

Should be interesting tomorrow :)

8. MuscleBeach

MuscleBeach Member

Jul 20, 2017
    My calves have always been a gutless hooker. I train them 4 days minimum a week to keep them up to par. Lately I've gotten into BFR training, I strap up just below the knee, and get to work and I gotta say, the pump I get is filthy!

Nov 1, 2010
    Once I started doing calves daily..3-4 sets of high reps with medium weight I started to see some improvements. My calves are not a "strong point" BUT not a weak point either.