Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Joannafit
What's New?

Fat loss; total calories in/out or counting macros?

B

buttabeen

TID Lady Member
Jul 10, 2011
How do my macros look to you? Good/bad?

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Macros look ok, but that doesn't mean they are optimized. Dieting can be a fine balancing act. It takes assessing and reassessing. Anytime you have a halt in dieting, there can be one of a few things going on...

1. Body recomp. This is where you might be putting on some muscle and losing a little fat, making the scale sit still. This is when a body fat analyzer and/or the mirror should become the gauge.
2. It's time for a refeed. Over long periods of time, the body's metabolism adjusts, or, it becomes "damaged". Metabolic damage has been a relatively new idea and discovery which is caused by too much dieting or prolonged bulking and the metabolism kind of crashes.
3. You need to readjust macros. As time goes on, you gain muscle, lose fat, metabolism changes etc, and the original macros are no longer as effective. You can bump protein a bit and keep everything else the same to start the assessment of this issue.
4. It's time to decrease calories. This is the VERY last option after attempting the above. You do NOT want to drop calories if you don't have to. Dropping too much too fast creates a problematic issue, that will cause metabolic damage. Trainers have been guilty of doing this with women for many years. I have seen women sitting at the 900 calorie mark, and that's with a good amount of muscle mass. It can take up to a year to fix that damage and get her back on track!!

If I think of anything else, I'll post up. I am out of time for a moment.

fattytophatty

fattytophatty

TID Lady Member
Dec 26, 2014
buttabeen, how are you doing now?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic