BluueWater_Hunter
What's New?

fasting for fitness/bodybuilding

myosaurus

myosaurus

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 21, 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSQVl_8Zs6w
now this is a very controversial theory that goes against all the norms of BB diet, such as eating every 3 hrs. quite few members at PM seem to support these methods. if it did work, it'll be a great welcome opportunty to those who work long hours and can't adhere to every 3 hrs rule. this is strictly for cutting, for bulk it won't work well. let's hear anyone's take on these methods. anyone experienced with these?

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
i have seen tons of logs on fasted workouts. i followed one youngsters log and he worked construction all day and workouted out hard afterwards. he would fast for around 23 hrs everyday! i dont know how he did it but he had good strength and even made some gains. crazy, i have to tell you, i like to eat too much! :D i think if you have the body reserves it can probably work. the one thing that i would be concerned about is ones mental ability. i have a little tech who doesnt like to eat, she doesnt have any body image issues, she just doesnt like the taste of food :rolleyes: she is so lean and thin right now that her mental ability is almost gone. as she works and has used what little bit of food she has consumed it takes her 5 mins to put together 30 secs worth of info! drives me crazy! but if one was cutting for a show, it would be only for a short time i suppose! i have enough extra reserves that i could probably do it but im a pig :D

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
I'm not a real fan of fasted lifting (and for the record most guys into IF suggest protein/BCAAs before lifting) but science does support intermittent fasting. No reason exists to eat every 2-3 hours beyond trying to fit in massive food quantities on a bulk which can not be fit into an 8 hour window. Martin Berkhan is probably the leading expert on IF and fasting in general. I used to hate the idea but as I read the research opinions change. I'm testing an IF protocol myself right now (which includes carb cycling and macro manipulation based on activity).

For larger brothers on a bulk IF isn't really possible but for cutting or smaller people on a bulk it's proven.

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
I was trying to keep a open mind to it and follow what he was saying but looking at a skinny guy with know muscle was a little distracting....
Maybe somebody else could convience me but I really don't think that's something I would ever try.

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
I was trying to keep a open mind to it and follow what he was saying but looking at a skinny guy with know muscle was a little distracting....
Maybe somebody else could convience me but I really don't think that's something I would ever try.

Look at the validity of the message not the messenger. Information should always be judged on it's own merits not on who is conveying the message. It's not an uncommon mistake but a mistake none the less. I will not try and convince you, if you are interested the research and application examples are out there. I will tell you no nutritionist with a scientific base is making the claim that you need to eat every 2-3 hours anymore. No studies exist to back that idea but plenty exist to debunk it.

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
Yup nut nut that was exactly my point i was trying to not look at the messenger but when he uses him self as an example i wasnt sold on the idea... I try and have a open mind on everything, if i wasnt bulking right now id prolly look further into it :)

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
i say do what makes you keep doing it. i can tell you if i did fasted workouts like is mentioned, i wouldnt do it for very long and then i would rebound and gain 10#. i think that is the great thing about the human body, the same thing doesnt work for everybody so one just has to find out what is their thing :D

myosaurus

myosaurus

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 21, 2010
I'm not a real fan of fasted lifting (and for the record most guys into IF suggest protein/BCAAs before lifting) but science does support intermittent fasting. No reason exists to eat every 2-3 hours beyond trying to fit in massive food quantities on a bulk which can not be fit into an 8 hour window. Martin Berkhan is probably the leading expert on IF and fasting in general. I used to hate the idea but as I read the research opinions change. I'm testing an IF protocol myself right now (which includes carb cycling and macro manipulation based on activity).

For larger brothers on a bulk IF isn't really possible but for cutting or smaller people on a bulk it's proven.

I was surprised there many that backed the theory. it'd great to back off the hassel of eating every 3 hrs.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic