Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

fall of forums/rise in social media

Thrawn

Thrawn

MuscleHead
Jun 12, 2023
With gear use higher than it has ever been is seems the forums are used by 40+ demographic. While the openness for people to talk, promote, and source on social media is insane. If I was an 18-year-old know nothing kid I could find a source and verify they are legit in less than 30 minutes. I see shit on insta, LinkedIn, FB, Snapchat, public commerce websites. I mean OpSec is not even a concern. I see people yelling scammer if their shit hasn't shipped in 3 days, people think it's Amazon prime. I highly suspect the average age of user has drastically decreased within the last 10 years. These are just observations of an old man.

BLTC

BLTC

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2010
With gear use higher than it has ever been is seems the forums are used by 40+ demographic. While the openness for people to talk, promote, and source on social media is insane. If I was an 18-year-old know nothing kid I could find a source and verify they are legit in less than 30 minutes. I see shit on insta, LinkedIn, FB, Snapchat, public commerce websites. I mean OpSec is not even a concern. I see people yelling scammer if their shit hasn't shipped in 3 days, people think it's Amazon prime. I highly suspect the average age of user has drastically decreased within the last 10 years. These are just observations of an old man.
I can't comment on the age of the average user as I suspect there's always been some level of teen age use but I do suspect damn near 75% of the dudes at my local/commercial gym are using.

beefnewton

beefnewton

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2022
This post right here... "oh hey I just decided to inject 25mg and it hurt. Guess I can try glute next time." No one questions why he's doing it or anything else.. levels, etc. That forum is a great read. It's like a health version of the Babylon Bee.

Last edited:
R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
I can't comment on the age of the average user as I suspect there's always been some level of teen age use but I do suspect damn near 75% of the dudes at my local/commercial gym are using.
If they are, do you notice a greater emphasis on training, accompanied by reduced phone use?

Glycomann

Glycomann

VIP Member
Jan 19, 2011
I belong to 2 gyms plus I have a decent home gym. One gym is upper crust and very young, very narscisistic and a lot of PED use, general whorage and such. the other gym is more old school with older members adn not a lot of users. Frankly, I like working out alone in my basement these days more than a commercial gym. Second is the older crowd gym and last is the young, fake tan, perm hair, scantily dressed whore gym.

Thrawn

Thrawn

MuscleHead
Jun 12, 2023
This post right here... "oh hey I just decided to inject 25mg and it hurt. Guess I can try glute next time." No one questions why he's doing it or anything else.. levels, etc. That forum is a great read. It's like a health version of the Babylon Bee.

I am now dumber for clicking the link and spending 5 min there. Dude was better off just putting a needle in his thigh to "test"

Wtf is this? I may be behind but is there a rational reason for this?

"From reading on the forum, people either buy the testosterone gel from online pharmacy or buy testosterone base powder from xxxx and mix it with tocovit or dmso or alcohol and put 1mg on lips."

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Every time I pose a physique update on IG, I get at least 5 sources that start following me with a few who will send me messages, saying they got me on my next cycle. Haha.

I am a member of a couple private bodybuilding pages on Facebook and they are pretty open about use with their personal profiles there for everyone to see.

Thrawn

Thrawn

MuscleHead
Jun 12, 2023
Every time I pose a physique update on IG, I get at least 5 sources that start following me with a few who will send me messages, saying they got me on my next cycle. Haha.

I am a member of a couple private bodybuilding pages on Facebook and they are pretty open about use with their personal profiles there for everyone to see.
Get a picture of the source with faced blacked out. You will know if they are in it for passion or the money.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
Get a picture of the source with faced blacked out. You will know if they are in it for passion or the money.
These guys have no problems showing their face. They don't even care that I may be LE. I still rock the military flat top haircut that a lot of cops do and they sill reach out.

Wallyd

Wallyd

VIP Member
Dec 10, 2013
These guys have no problems showing their face. They don't even care that I may be LE. I still rock the military flat top haircut that a lot of cops do and they sill reach out.
I’ve seen this many times. They just don’t seem to give af.

K

KyleB

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2012
This makes me think about the stuff on my IG feed. There are a lot of stuff that shows up in my feed in regards to exercise...and now a lot of is 'sponsored', people of all ages trying to flex for a camera. Makes me wonder if they are there to just sell stuff behind DMs. Honestly, I just find it easier to stay off social media or take it with a grain of salt and just focus on myself.

Not even specific to training, but anything in general, social media is superficial. I have young relatives that use it to seek validation. It's not even about the whole, 'there is no emphasis on hardwork, eating etc etc.' You can almost not learn anymore from forms of social media, more precisely the shorts or image content. I know of a lot of younger relatives that struggle with weight, that take pics in the mirror at gym and in bathroom and I will ask them why they do it, when they only go once a week and complain about how they are gaining weight. 'I have image issues you know that, makes me feel better about myself'. Yea I know that's a family problem, but like it goes on with everything else, take pics on vacation, the high points, no emphasis on a sustainable dynamic to make their confidence and self esteem stay high on a daily basis. I know I sound like an old man but it's something I'm noticing more and more as I get older.

barbellbeast

barbellbeast

MuscleHead
Oct 4, 2010
I get very many reels show up on my FB of kids that can't even be in their 20's, no muscle mass beside what they may have gained from high school sports(if even that), and they have a channel spitting out videos of either super basic instruction, or spreading information that's incorrect. I miss the days of befriending the competitive bodybuilders in the gym and picking their brain. Or the discrete forums that came after.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic