Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Evolution do you believe in it?

SuperG

SuperG

VIP Member
Jun 1, 2012
Like the title says do you believe in evolution? My friend and I have this conversation at least once every couple of months. My friend believes in god and is a christian. My belief is agnosticism. He says he didn't evolve from some stupid monkey. I tell him aliens made us (specifically Optimus Prime) because it seems to get him worked up. We have this conversation at the bar every time so the alcohol does not help.

I would like to hear what the members of this board believe.

Zomb131

Zomb131

MuscleHead
Jan 31, 2011
What is there to believe? There is PROOF!!!! Unlike any fucking bible can provide. What proof is there of god or jesus, NOTHING but here say in a book. Listen up jesus freaks, religion was created by the few to control the many. You're belief without proof = faith. A perfect example would be parents telling their children about Santa. If you're good, you'll get gifts, if you're bad you'll get coal. Sound familiar? I think so.

Then you have the WORST kind of christian. The ones who believe in god and evolution. There as bad as agnostics.

GOODFELLAS

GOODFELLAS

MuscleHead
May 24, 2012
Based on the other marriage thread since it looks like im gonna be burning anyway i will say yes i believe in evolution

SuperG

SuperG

VIP Member
Jun 1, 2012
Then you have the WORST kind of christian. The ones who believe in god and evolution. There as bad as agnostics.

I use to be atheist then I changed to agnostics because I hope there is something more when you die. Like I tell my friend the bible is a book written by man and man can be corrupted. It was not written by god and sent from the heavens. But if life is waking up going to work to make money so you can do and buy stuff then life sucks. Then you have the other option of not having a well paying job or no job at all then your life will suck. Praying will not pay the bills.

Zomb131

Zomb131

MuscleHead
Jan 31, 2011
I use to be atheist then I changed to agnostics because I hope there is something more when you die.

You should never confuse desperation with a religious enlightenment.

When I was in Iraq, i thought i found god, because I was desperate, I didn't want to die at 18. I soon found myself laughing at myself for doing so. Accept death, and that nothing comes after it. It's human nature to want to believe there is a place we go after death. Our brains/minds can not comprehend nothingness. How can it? We only know life, so the thought of a afterlife is comforting to many. Ignorance is bliss.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
I'm fully aware that this thread is in the off topic lounge forum, but fuck these types of threads that do nothing but divide the board and piss everyone off for no good reason at all. I'm here to get stronger and stay healthy, with an occasional foray into the off topic forum for comedic relief or healthy, educational discussions.

You are purposefully picking topics which are unending and unwinnable and alienating. You are a pot-stirrer for your own enjoyment. Done with you for good.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I blew a 505 lb squat the other day... It was embarrassing.

Just putting that out there....

SAD how is your bench coming along?

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
I don't mind these threads too much, as long as people keep their cool. If people don't agree with you, then so be it, you can still be confident in where you stand. I don't mind people who disagree with me who've actually thought about it. What is more hard to understand is somebody who has strong opinions, yet are ill-informed.

I happen to be a Christian and believe in Intelligent Design. That does NOT mean that I don't believe in the process of evolution. What has been shown to be true in practice and in the fossil record is that adaptive mutations have occurred within a given species that make that species more reslient in survival. For example the mutations in color, etc. that make better camouflogue, etc.

What eveolution has NOT shown effectively is mutations that have crossed a given species into another species, which is a necessary step for Darwin's theory to work as a model that explains our origins. Thus one can believe that the origin of the universe or the origin of species is a product of some form of intelligent creator and still agree that evolution operates within a given species.

In order to have effective mutations that cross species, there would be an extraordinary of transitionary forms in the fossil record, not what we presently have. It's funny when archeologists find some skeleton (1 out of billions) and trumpet that this "could" be some type of link, and then go on to force it into some model. In order for evolution to have successfully occurred across species, there would be millions upon millions of transitionary forms that "almost" made it, millions that made it, and millions more that further varied across another species. There would be transitionary forms all over the place. The fossil record is laughably incomplete.

On a rational level, the mathematics of genetic mutation and the number of mutations that have to occur make the evolutionary scientist a man of great faith. One could win the powerball lottery one thousand times in a row with a much greater probability than evolution having occurred from the primordial soup to where we are today. And to say that just give it enough time doesn't fix that... cosmologists say the universe can only be 10 billion years old at most. There simply isn't enough time for it to have occurred.

So, I'll agree that Darwin's theory is at least a good model to attempt to explain the origins of species. But after 150 years of research of the fossil record, the large data sets that have been collected do not support the model too well.

Look at the elegance of Maxwell's equations, Newton's laws of graviity, and the amazing building blocks of sub-atomic physics, and it doesn't take a Jesus freak to conclude that such elegance and beauty belies an intelligent designer. But that's just my two cents.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Will be going for a triple at 385 on Friday, my next heavy bench day. I tripled 495 on squat yesterday (huge PR) and tripled 505 on deads in the same workout. Also felt froggy and hit 405 for 10 on deads at the end of everything, resetting between every rep. It was my most rewarding and motivating workout I've ever had.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
I agree with SAD. These threads seem mostly to be for the purpose of provoking people to argue. I don't mind a good argument but I think I'll pass on this one.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Will be going for a triple at 385 on Friday, my next heavy bench day. I tripled 495 on squat yesterday (huge PR) and tripled 505 on deads in the same workout. Also felt froggy and hit 405 for 10 on deads at the end of everything, resetting between every rep. It was my most rewarding and motivating workout I've ever had.

Damn dude. PLK is doin you right it seems. I gotta get serious!

SuperG

SuperG

VIP Member
Jun 1, 2012
I'm fully aware that this thread is in the off topic lounge forum, but fuck these types of threads that do nothing but divide the board and piss everyone off for no good reason at all. I'm here to get stronger and stay healthy, with an occasional foray into the off topic forum for comedic relief or healthy, educational discussions.

You are purposefully picking topics which are unending and unwinnable and alienating. You are a pot-stirrer for your own enjoyment. Done with you for good.

Its interesting to get different opinions on subjects that make me think differently. For example the post above yours Zomb131 says "Our brains/minds can not comprehend nothingness. How can it? We only know life, so the thought of a afterlife is comforting to many." Never even thought about it like that and no one has ever made that statement to me. It made me really think. Do I agree with his statement? My head says yes but my heart hopes he's wrong. He knocked me for being Agnostic but I did not take it personally? No. He is entitled to his opinion even if I do not like it. When my g/f killed herself that's what changed me from Atheist to Agnostic. I hope my head is wrong and I hope that every member of this board that believes that there is no afterlife is wrong.

This topic and my thread about "Same sex marriage" is something that I would consider an "educational discussion." Religion is something that fascinates me. When the history channel has something on about religion I try to watch it or DVR it. Hell, I even read some of the bible when I was atheist. Sometimes if Joel Osteen is on I will watch him for a couple of minutes. The same sex marriage thread is something that may happen in my family one day that's why I posted it.

If I was trying to be a "pot-stirrer" I could have come up with something a lot better than this. If I was trying to be a "pot-stirrer" I would have posted on the Obama care thread or I would start a thread about politics. I could go on and on but I wont. No one is making you read anything i post or comment on anything that I post.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic