What's New?

Ever take a body scan?

• Thread starter cockswole_gentleman
  • Start Date
cockswole_gentleman

cockswole_gentleman

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2023
Are any of these even remotely close to accurate? This is the first time I've done any kind of scan of any type. Bare feet, and hold the metal grips in your hands.

Attachments

• IMG_20231214_130317937.jpg
    IMG_20231214_130317937.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 37
beefnewton

beefnewton

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2022
Looks like an InBody. I think they're accurate enough, especially when comparing to previous scans, which is where I find the most value. They are accurate enough that I get pissed off when I get one done.

Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
Bioimpedance meters are accurate in their inaccuracy. What I mean by that is if you do a body scan and it says you're at 15% and you lose 2% body fat it'll say you're at 13%. It's accurate as far as that goes for the most part but I don't feel that there close to a dexa scan or buoyancy test. I read an article a while back that tested all of them and I think they said the bioimpedance meters were generally 3 to 5% off which is a huge amount in this world but if it keeps track of your actual numbers you can say yes I'm going down or up

What throws these things off is dehydration can make a difference how you grip the meter how far your arms are away from your body if it's the kind you hold on to. If you hold those meters with it close to your chest and then do it a second time with your arms fully extended generally the reading will come out completely different. That's my experience

The best way to see exactly what your body fat is is find someone local that does dexa scans those are as accurate as you can be in my opinion

MorganKane

MorganKane

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2012
Are any of these even remotely close to accurate? This is the first time I've done any kind of scan of any type. Bare feet, and hold the metal grips in your hands.

A friend of mine had one in their office.
It was very unreliable. Took a scan then came back less than a week later and did another one.
5% difference in body fat. This is some years ago so perhaps they are more accurate but wouldnt trust one.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
The gym at Lejeune had an In Body that I used when I was about 9 weeks out, sitting around 6-7% BF. It said I was 10%, so not that far off. My son got on it and he is fit, but realistically his BF is in the upper teens. His also came out as 10%, so I got back on the next day and it said I was 13%. Time of day, diet and hydration were exactly the same, so not reliable at all.

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
I think tuffoldman said it. Use it to see how your comp is doing compared to the last scan. I think it is a good tool.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
The one at AF is actually pretty close to spot on accuracy. I have seen them compare the two with calipers

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic