Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Estrodial vs Total Estrogens question....

8thangel

Dec 20, 2010
Hi guys,

I've been on doctor prescribed trt for about 3 years now and have a question I can't find any information on regarding estrogen. During the course of my trt my doc has always tested for e2 aka estradiol. Well, he sent me in for labs recently and he wrote for the wrong estrogen test. It was for total estrogens and NOT estradiol. This apparently includes all the various estrogens vs e2 by itself.

So, here's my question... I did my own labs one week prior to my regular doctor ordered ones and my e2 level was within range @36pg/ml with ranges being 7.6-42.6pg/ml. Total test was within normal ranges as well. Now on his test the result that came back for "total estrogens" (not just e2) was sky high. The level was 1740pg/ml with normal ranges being 40-115pg/ml.

Now the doc that writes my trt is a friend who admittedly says trt is not his area of expertise but has been writing it as a favor to me more or less. He also happens to be a NMD and as a result is apparently worried about my high level even after I pointed out my normal range e2 reading from one week prior. After speaking with him I talked to another doctor friend of mine who is more well versed in hormones. She basically told me that he ordered the wrong test and it isn't even something they look at when testing men for trt. She said they only use e2 since it is the dominant estrogen and that the others were of no consequence in males. She said and I quote, "I wouldn't even worry about the elevated reading."

So this all sounds good to me and I called my trt doc to let him know. I also pointed out the fact that he always had written for estradiol to be checked and not total estrogens. He argued with me that he always tested for total estrogens but I have copies of all my labs from him that show otherwise. Additionally he said he was still concerned despite the other doctors information and that he'd have to do some research on it... Ugh

Anyway, do any of you have any information or a link to some that would give me something solid to take to him and show him? I've googled it in a number of different ways today and haven't found anything that helps me to share with him. Ultimately I may end up going to a different doc for my trt but would like to be able to show him the error in his thinking.

I should also mention that 7 weeks I ago I concluded a 16 week blast of test enth @700pw with some tren thrown in along the way. Pharm grade Aromasin was used to control e2 as well as .5mg of pharm grade Caber twice weekly while running the tren. All other values are normal except for some elevated white blood cell stuff but that was because I got a urinary tract infection. Primary doc just saw me for it and wrote for Cipro.

Sorry to be so wordy but wanted to give you as a clear a picture as possible to go by.

Thx,

8th

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic