Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
angelarbatt

Eric Lilliebridge 447kgs/985lbs Raw Squat w/ Wraps @ 290lbs...

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Wow, that's so impressive.

I don't think I'll ever squat very much. Squatting maximal weight intimidates me, and i don't want to be under max weight with doubts in my head.

I have so much respect for big squatters.

That's why you need to perform reverse band squats... it builds confidence.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
FIRST OFF..... NEVER and I REPEAT NEVER Watch any vid that has someone missing lifts, getting injured, etc. You don't need any negative shit in your head whatsoever. I NEVER watch that shit. You ONLY want POSITIVE reinforcement.

SECONDLY.... Start performing reverse band squats after your regular sets each and every heavy week. They will help build confidence and that is EVERYTHING in this sport. Choke some Green's from above and add 50lbs to your last set and hit some singles. The Green's will take around 100lbs off the bar at the bottom (in the hole). This will get you used to the weight on your back.

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
We're going to need a bigger bar!

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
I about freaked watching that! Incredible!

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Turbo I went thru some mental blocks with squatting a couple times.

The first time was when I missed a 600. The straps caught the bar. I think I told you the story. A side spotter didn't even try and grab the bar just stood there. Then shortly after that, just to make myself feel better I thought I would do 405 for a bunch of reps. Just wanted to end on a high note. My old lady was operating the mono for me. After one rep she shut it as I was descending. Caught half the bar which then dumped off my back, landed in the straps and almost knocked over the mono. It shifted forward about 4 inches. I didn't squat for another two months. I can't even watch the video of it now. Knowing I had to squat, I started just doing speed work off a high box. I used band tension to add some challenge at the top but mentally I wasn't crushing myself.

The second time was after my adductor tear in October. It took until fairly recently for me to do anything challenging. Seven months later now and today is the first time I took anything over 500 for a ride. I allowed myself to build confidence back up. It doesn't just come. That worry is what will stop you from getting injured. It is also what kicks in when you unrack the bar and brings about the flight or fight response. And when you choose to fight right then and there under that bar at that very moment is when you will know you are in control, not your fear.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Turbo I went thru some mental blocks with squatting a couple times.

The first time was when I missed a 600. The straps caught the bar. I think I told you the story. A side spotter didn't even try and grab the bar just stood there. Then shortly after that, just to make myself feel better I thought I would do 405 for a bunch of reps. Just wanted to end on a high note. My old lady was operating the mono for me. After one rep she shut it as I was descending. Caught half the bar which then dumped off my back, landed in the straps and almost knocked over the mono. It shifted forward about 4 inches. I didn't squat for another two months. I can't even watch the video of it now. Knowing I had to squat, I started just doing speed work off a high box. I used band tension to add some challenge at the top but mentally I wasn't crushing myself.

The second time was after my adductor tear in October. It took until fairly recently for me to do anything challenging. Seven months later now and today is the first time I took anything over 500 for a ride. I allowed myself to build confidence back up. It doesn't just come. That worry is what will stop you from getting injured. It is also what kicks in when you unrack the bar and brings about the flight or fight response. And when you choose to fight right then and there under that bar at that very moment is when you will know you are in control, not your fear.

Thanks for sharing the stories man, that stuff is hard to talk about. I remember you telling me about the first one. I don't blame you, I wouldn't be able to watch the video either. Like Brother Iron stated earlier, a big mistake I made was watching lifting fails. They get embedded in my head, so no more of those for me!

My squatting concern is something I've never really told anyone, except a friend. He's the one that got me back squatting back in 2010. Because I don't think I would have on my own. But I can tell you that everytime I got under the bar to squat that accident was on my mind and I was VERY cautious on my walk out and everything.

I'll take it slow and start with just a stick stretch bar and work my way back up.

Last edited:
monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
That's pretty much what I've done Turbo. Working my way up from an empty bar. I never had a conscious fear, but I know that when I started back, subconscious fear was holding me back. I've never lost the desire though and when I couldn't or didn't squat I was miserable. Even just holding a plate and squatting with it was better than nothing. I love it, it's my favorite lift and if I suffer another injury, I'll just be pissed while I can't squat.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
The first step is having a team ( who spots as well as they coach) to give you the confidence in your spotters.

BI is exactly correct that you can use reverse bands to regain confidence .... same for anyone wanting to work on speed, although I like bands from the floor more for that.

The second step is coming to terms with the fact that injuries are a part of life. If you don't lift you'll end up getting hurt from slouching, if you squat you might get tweaked here or there..... I've seen Ernie Sr. so beat up that he couldn't walk without a limp.... then the next week squat 800.

The next part is just getting your mind right. At a meet I did last year a friend in the flight before me snapped his forearm while benching. I mean he literally snapped it in half. It was a definite mind-fuch going out and opening with more than it took to snap his arm...... but I did it. That fear is normal, it's part of lifting.

My friend, a year later, is getting back in gear now and already benching around 400 at around 200lbs. Brandon Lilly has already come back and done a meet.
A buddy of mine blew out the ACL/MCL/PCL, and burst a capsule unracking a 920 squat at 181 drug free...... 2 years later he's already back to squatting over 800, still drug free.

Being tough doesn't mean never being scared, it means being scared and doing it anyways.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Wow, that's so impressive.

I don't think I'll ever squat very much. Squatting maximal weight intimidates me, and i don't want to be under max weight with doubts in my head.

I have so much respect for big squatters.

Try it while you are still young ! Just approach it systematically . Before you get old like old bastard me! I use a lot but now I get knee issues that I try to fix . Cycle your workouts Google Bulgarian periodization.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Try it while you are still young ! Just approach it systematically . Before you get old like old bastard me! I use a lot but now I get knee issues that I try to fix . Cycle your workouts Google Bulgarian periodization.

The Bulgarians didn't periodize anything. They trained max effort every day they trained. They would work up to their daily max whatever that was and they would than drop the weight back down and try to work back up to a higher number. They also trained 6x week two times a day.

I wouldn't recommend anyone train with the Bulgarian method unless they want to get severely injured. That's why their coach Ivan was nicknamed "the butcher". He cripples literally hundreds to get his team of 13 lifters.''

Louie took this method and applied it to Westside which is why he would say they could compete on any day and they would call out each other all the time at the gym and have a mock meet.

any1uno

any1uno

MuscleHead
Dec 22, 2010
Porky brought up a point I was going to point out. If you watch the video just before his PR. You hear his father communicate with the spotters what to do. This is important.

The only advise I can offer to you turbo...if you don't have bands...do walk outs. Get some weight on your back to feel it. While training..work on your form. Don't worry about how heavy your going. If your form is sh*t..you're going to injure yourself. Get your form down and correct. Then start adding more weight. Always concentrate on that. Confidence will come if your form is spot on.

Mark Ripatoe (sp) has some great advice on correct form and bar position. I noticed the bar position and hand placement with Ernie's lifts. Pretty impressive.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic