Members
Latest Member
jacobss

Equipped Single or Multi for beginner?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Currently I compete raw, and I'd like to get into gear in the near future. But I've had Turbolag and BrotherIron (whose info I trust) both comment about me going straight from raw to Multi-ply.

Just looking for some other experiences. Any of you do that? Or did all you equipped lifters start in single ply?

D

Dave Kirschen

Apr 23, 2013
I personally progressed from raw to single to multi, but that had more to do with where I was lifting then anything else.

I've seen plenty of guys jump straight into multi successfully.

I don't have a problem with a raw lifter going straight to multiply, as long as they keep the gear on the loose side at first, and are training with lifters who know how to coach a beginner.

As you progress, you can either grow into it, or have it altered, rather then have to bite the bullet and buy all new stuff.

Remember that single ply gear is is MUCH more supportive now than people give it credit for. I've seen lifters get over 200 lbs out of an off-the-rack single ply shirt.

If you do not have access to good coaches, then I would probably progress slowley from loose single ply stuff to tighter single and so on.

J-dub

J-dub

MuscleHead
Feb 16, 2013
The biggest thing for guys who want to make the jump into equipped is to get someone who can train you how to use the shirt. The way you wear the gear is just as important as what gear you use. I went right from raw to multi but I work on a team with dudes who know what they're doing.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
As long as you have a team to help there's no reason to not just jump in to multi ply.

At first you might want to wear the gear a little looser - just until you get used to it - but there's no reason why you shouldn't.

The big thing though is not to get impatient. You might be able to move an 800 squat or 650 bench your first few weeks in multi ( just throwing numbers out there, you might be more or less) but it doesn't mean that your tendons or bones will be ready for that abuse yet. So, go on and push for heavy weights, but give yourself more rest days, more lighter weeks where you can work reps and build tendon strength.

I probably spent three months single ply following similar advice before I realized that it was bullshit and got in a canvas suit and old denim shirt. I don't regret coming up that quick at all.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I personally progressed from raw to single to multi, but that had more to do with where I was lifting then anything else.

I've seen plenty of guys jump straight into multi successfully.

I don't have a problem with a raw lifter going straight to multiply, as long as they keep the gear on the loose side at first, and are training with lifters who know how to coach a beginner.

As you progress, you can either grow into it, or have it altered, rather then have to bite the bullet and buy all new stuff.

Remember that single ply gear is is MUCH more supportive now than people give it credit for. I've seen lifters get over 200 lbs out of an off-the-rack single ply shirt.

If you do not have access to good coaches, then I would probably progress slowley from loose single ply stuff to tighter single and so on.

Thanks for dropping into the Den Dave... Definitely glad to have you.

The biggest thing for guys who want to make the jump into equipped is to get someone who can train you how to use the shirt. The way you wear the gear is just as important as what gear you use. I went right from raw to multi but I work on a team with dudes who know what they're doing.

As long as you have a team to help there's no reason to not just jump in to multi ply.

At first you might want to wear the gear a little looser - just until you get used to it - but there's no reason why you shouldn't.

The big thing though is not to get impatient. You might be able to move an 800 squat or 650 bench your first few weeks in multi ( just throwing numbers out there, you might be more or less) but it doesn't mean that your tendons or bones will be ready for that abuse yet. So, go on and push for heavy weights, but give yourself more rest days, more lighter weeks where you can work reps and build tendon strength.

I probably spent three months single ply following similar advice before I realized that it was bullshit and got in a canvas suit and old denim shirt. I don't regret coming up that quick at all.

So from these three posts it seems that:

1. I need a team - which I have. They've actually taken a break from equipped lifting due to some injuries and wanting to build their raw strength up quickly. But they do plan to return to geared lifting.

2. Start with loose equipment.

3. Don't try and jump from a 500 something pound raw squat to an 800lb equipped squat.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Sounds like you'll be fine.... and by all means - go for those big numbers once you are comfortable in your gear - just give yourself time to recover.

Good luck.

Halo

Halo

VIP Member
Jul 5, 2011
Completely agree with PLK, I also spent a couple of months in single ply, then found my gym and team and it was easy to transition. The big thing in my opinion is having people who know gear to train with and to help you to figure it out. Sometimes I think it is easier to use the kind of gear your team uses at first because they probably know the ins and outs of that particular gear, just a thought. I know you'll do great POB!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic