To stay away from the Ls tick
Which I do have on my org truck

oh and I gave 2k for his truck

a lot of stuff im going to swap to mine since mine is old n worn mileage wise

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I would, since you have easy access to it and you already plan on doing some work and not just doing a quick swap over.

Warrior45

Warrior45

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 9, 2012
Seems like a good idea to me however I also vote for a larger cam and better heads while it is out

If you ain't first, you're last

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
I’d change it out while doing the work otherwise. You asking us means you already know

CFM

CFM

National Breast Implant Awareness Month Squeezer
Mar 18, 2012
I have 240 on one 5.3 and 280 on another when I sold them, still were not using oil.

With only 89k, you'll be good another 150k +

I love the 5.3 !

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
Dude, just slap a rear main in it. You do not have to mess with the crank so it's easy. You could build the motor. You definitely could upgrade the oil pump. In our 5.3s for our patrol vehicles it called for 0w20 oil and we were having a lot of top end failure and oil pump failure. Switched to 5w30 and that failure rate has decreased 85% although we still have a higher rate of failure than the old Ford Ecoboosts which would blow turbo seals at or before 50K miles from too much idling and the turbo not getting enough oil then accelerating full throttle after a speeder over and over while the oil was at max temp. Hell you could change the lifters (i know, its a pain) the rings on these motors are good as gold and do not have bad wear probs. Lifters are their only real hangup. Chevy makes an HD oil pump for their police vehicles (tahoes) I do not know if it will fit the older 5.3 but maintains a higher pressure without a much higher volume which can wash out your old bearings.

Idling seems to be the big factor that is bad for both.

I digress, I assume the studs are for the exhaust manifolds? Not a bad idea, They will be corroded onto the head threads. (have a tap set ready. You could also throw a set of shorty headers on and get 10-12 hp, slightly cooler running engine and even with a stock exhaust better sound without being loud. I have only had 1 LS engine, not a 5.3. They made for a nice mod and you can find them used on the forums when people pull them off their trucks to sell for $200 sometimes.

ITAWOLF

ITAWOLF

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2010
I’d change it out while doing the work otherwise. You asking us means you already know
Hahahaha u know it
Just a lot of irons in the fire and tricking myself into cutting corners

ITAWOLF

ITAWOLF

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2010
Dude, just slap a rear main in it. You do not have to mess with the crank so it's easy. You could build the motor. You definitely could upgrade the oil pump. In our 5.3s for our patrol vehicles it called for 0w20 oil and we were having a lot of top end failure and oil pump failure. Switched to 5w30 and that failure rate has decreased 85% although we still have a higher rate of failure than the old Ford Ecoboosts which would blow turbo seals at or before 50K miles from too much idling and the turbo not getting enough oil then accelerating full throttle after a speeder over and over while the oil was at max temp. Hell you could change the lifters (i know, its a pain) the rings on these motors are good as gold and do not have bad wear probs. Lifters are their only real hangup. Chevy makes an HD oil pump for their police vehicles (tahoes) I do not know if it will fit the older 5.3 but maintains a higher pressure without a much higher volume which can wash out your old bearings.

Idling seems to be the big factor that is bad for both.

I digress, I assume the studs are for the exhaust manifolds? Not a bad idea, They will be corroded onto the head threads. (have a tap set ready. You could also throw a set of shorty headers on and get 10-12 hp, slightly cooler running engine and even with a stock exhaust better sound without being loud. I have only had 1 LS engine, not a 5.3. They made for a nice mod and you can find them used on the forums when people pull them off their trucks to sell for $200 sometimes.
Yep I’m gonna update the pump for sure and manifold bolts — seems those all give up
True story — my bro works at a scv shop and I was hanging out - he’s manager
They order all their oil from Autozone
I asked him to hook me up with a change
Cost me less then 20

meh said look at this shit

he gets Valvoline oil 5w-40 full syn for 92cents a qt
They had 42 in stock

I bought them all

5w40 won’t hurt

trentracks

trentracks

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 23, 2011
What you put into now is an investment use quality GM or quality aftermarket ARP for fastness. There’s lots of counterfeit Chinese stuff beware

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic