SDUBUBLACK
What's New?

Drink more beer!!!

F.I.S.T.

F.I.S.T.

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2011
Beer May Boost Bone Health

Ok guys,the next time your wife or girlfriend bitches you out about drinking so much beer,just tell her its for medicinal purposes!

Soluble OSA may be important for the growth and development of bone and connective tissue.

Silicon is present in beer in the soluble form of orthosilicic acid, which yields 50 percent bioavailability, making beer a major contributor to silicon intake in the Western diet. As dietary silicon in the form of soluble OSA may be important for the growth and development of bone and connective tissue, beer may be a significant source of dietary silicon.

Charles Bamforth, from the University of California, Davis, and colleagues studied commercial beer production to determine the relationship between beer production methods and the impact of silicon on the body. They examined a variety of raw-material samples and found little change in the silicon content of barley during the malting process. The majority of the silicon in barley is in the husk, which is not affected greatly during malting. The malts with greater silicon content are pale colored and take less heat stress during the malting process. The darker products, such as the chocolate, roasted barley and black malts, all get substantial roasting and have much lower silicon content than other malts, for reasons that are not yet known.

The hops samples analyzed showed surprisingly high silicon content with as much as four times more than is found in malt. Some studies have suggested that moderate beer drinking may help fight osteoporosis. The finding by these researchers that “beer is a very rich source of silicon” takes on a potential importance for preventative health pending further studies into the underlying mechanisms of the bone-boosting properties of beer.

Casey, T.R., et al. (2010). Silicon in beer and brewing. J Sci Food and Agric. In press.

Lil Ed

Lil Ed

VIP Member
Jul 15, 2011
I will take a Pliny the Elder from Russian River Brewery then!!!

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Another guy whose posts Im a big fan of posted this today and I added to it- however - there are far more research to state that alchohol is poison and has no benefit to those who want to live a healthy life

Alcohol…Why not? Hmmm…You may have a lot to learn if you ask that question and think that this decision will not have a negative impact on your training and development…….

Ok so for those of you that know me also know that I’m not that shy of the odd mug of rum. Take a look at my handle and you’ll know it was bred into me. Couple this with my dad’s Irish side and my liver never had a shot from day 1.

But in all seriousness though, I do see on the boards quite often threads started regarding questions like - “Is it ok for me to consume alcohol while on cycle?” or “How much alcohol is it safe for me to consume?” or even “Will a night or two out a week really affect my training that much?”

Over the years I have seen a lot of anecdotal evidence or broscience posted up in response to such questions. I have not however ever seen anyone try to make an explanation of why it its bad, meaning there has been really no explanation of what’s really going on here past just scratching the surface or speaking to the obvious.

So taking that into consideration let’s first look at what we all know and then try to have a look at it a little deeper. I will make the confession now that I am not a health professional, nor any am I remotely close to being qualified as any type of expert on this subject for that matter. You’ll be able to tell by my writing…lol. I do, for the record, make a kickass Caesar though….Anyways.

So there’s my declaration take it or leave it…and by all means please challenge it and/or add to it…After all that is why we are all here.

1. Alcohol is high in cals. None of which are quality cals. 7 cals/gram, so it doesn’t take too long for those babies to start adding up. Especially if you like strawberry daquiri’s like red rocket does. Cough cough…ghey! Seriously though have you ever thought about the amount of cals you consumed in a night of heavy drinking? Its scary! For arguments sake lets say 1g=1ml. How many mls did you consume? How much mix?

2. Alcohol suppresses inhibitions and as such many times leads to poor decisions being made. This not only includes that “last call girl” you just woke up beside but also leads to a trip to the late night drive through. Boom an additional two large could be racked up there without too much trouble. P.S – the coyote arm that you may have developed in the morning as a result of taking home that “last call girl” may also account for unwanted cals – but at least it should be a high protein meal…lol

3. Alcohol interferes with normal hormonal responses and can cause increased secretion of insulin….Which in turn can lead to low blood sugar ….We all know what happens then…and we all know what we do when that crash comes. Bad news on both accords.

4. Alcohol dehydrates us terribly. Need I say more?

5. A bad hangover usually leads to a day on the couch watching movies, eating more comfort food and probably a long snooze. Not great for the waistline, not great for pushing through plateaus. Not to mention a really bad one can make us feel like shit for days and keep us out of the gym entirely or simply cause us to go through the motions and not to push oursleves.

6. Alcohol is toxic to our body. We all know this too well from our first experience with the tequila bottle we stole out of our dad’s liquor cabinet back when we were kids. How toxic? I would suppose that most don’t really know. Well, ethanol is only moderately so, but consider this - take away just one methyl group (one carbon atom and 3 hydrogens) and that ethanol we all know and love becomes methanol and that is extremely toxic to humans.

Now this may not mean much really to most of us. I mean we’ve made an entirely different compound by removing the methyl group so the above point is moot really. However, consider that the boiling points of these two compounds are only 2 degrees apart and we definitely want the people at Bacardi’s paying attention when they are separating one from the other. Doesn’t make you feel too warm and fuzzy towards you backwoods moonshiner now does it? And you guys thought ugl’s were dangerous! Lets all hope Dan Cote doesn’t moonlight…LOL!

Maybe more importantly we should consider the detoxification process our body goes through when trying to metabolize alcohol. This process leaves toxins in its wake as by-products. I won’t go into specifics but those who want to know more should research alcohol dehydrogenase and its potential to leave behind toxic forms of vitamin A.

7. Liver stress and decreased liver function. Ok maybe we should focus our attention more on direct effects but technically decreased liver function can affect how we metabolize what we are putting into our bodies as fuel and possibly mess with glycogen regulation and nutrient uptake so I see this as a more direct effect in this case.

8. Alcohol can be considered an anti nutrient because of the way it inhibits the normal metabolism of nutrients and our main energy substrates (macros). Couple this with the fact that alcohol is an irritant to our GI tract and its use can lead to the malabsorption of those nutrients. Add in the fact that increases urinary excretion of calcium and magnesium. Not good news especially since many of us are deficient in at least one of these already either because we don’t consume enough, or we consume too much of one. These compete for absorption in the same portion of the gut and over consuming one may lead to pooling of another….But that’s a discussion for another day. Wait though we’re not done here quite yet. Regular alcohol consumption increases Mg excretion in our sweat and lowers ability of magnesium resorption. Blah, blah, blah – the take away here is that alcohol consumption fucks with your ability to use the nutrients you need for proper function.

9. Alcohol negatively impacts thermoregulation in the body. We are particularly affected in cold environments. However see above as to what happens when we are hot. This leads to additional stress on our body and systems. Regardless, in this case things are not functioning optimally and that is not a good thing.

10. Alcohol impairs the repair process of injured tissues and there is evidence that suggests that alcohol may also impair muscle glycogen storage. Not good for taking things to new levels or needing a little extra when digging deep.

11. Long term health effects should be noted. But are beyond the scope really of what this was to be about. Most are familiar with the obvious ones so we don’t have to go into any detail. However, aside from those obvious concerns we all have heard about, one may wish to note that regular alcohol consumption may lead to cancer of the mouth, throat or esophogus and possibly other forms of cancer as well. Not to mention that as AAS users, we may be at more risk than the general public in regards to liver issues because of the use of some of the tools we decide to use. So saying that lets dive into other significant concerns. Chronic alcohol abuse may also weaken the heart, alter the brain and CNS. Alcohol also can increase blood lipids (triglycerides mostly) and even pancreatitis. The latter most can have major negative impacts on blood glucose control and the digestive process.

Its poison- for one alchohol blunts the natural production of testosterone, it inhibits deep sleep, the body metabolizes the alchohol as triglycerides- I actually thought it was common knowledge - Ive also been training over 30 years, including teaching and training over 100s people in fitness and MA- alchohol is poison to the bodys recuperative and regenerative system, recent rerearch concludes that any amount can create a suitable environement for several forms of cancer to grow, it either directly or indirectly though driving accidents and poor judgement is responsible for more deaths than any substance on this earth, however the attitudes such as the context of the above blood persist and therebhye contributing tothe downfall of moral caliber in this society. There is no place for alchohol in training. However everyone has there weakness and some try to minimize it through excuses and justification. POISON...............

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Alcohol causes cancer, and here’s the evidence

Alcohol causes at least seven types of cancer
This week, the Department of Health is launching a new advertising campaign to raise awareness of how alcohol can affect your health in the long-term.
Many of us are aware of the short-term effects of drinking too much – feeling sick, a hangover, a spot of embarrassment, a vague but hard-to-pin-down sense of guilt – but the long-term effects often slip under the radar. These include a higher risk of many cancers, heart disease, stroke and more.
Cancer Research UK is supporting the new campaign so we wanted to use this blog post to discuss some of the science around alcohol and cancer.
So is alcohol really linked to cancer?
Yes. Surveys tell us that only about a third of people realise that alcohol can increase the risk of cancer but actually the evidence in this area has been very strong for a number of decades.
The International Agency for Research on Cancer produces reports that are widely seen as the gold standard for working out what causes cancer and what doesn’t. They first said that there is “sufficient evidence” that “alcoholic beverages are carcinogenic to humans” way back in 1988. Since then, many more studies have been published. There are too many to list completely here, but this is a good review for the scientifically minded among you. IARC, incidentally, confirmed their ruling in 2007, and again last year.
Which cancers are affected? And how many?
Alcohol causes at least seven types of cancer, including cancers of the mouth, oesophagus (food pipe), pharynx (upper throat), larynx (voice box), breast, bowel and liver. There is also increasing evidence linking alcohol to pancreatic cancer.
Estimating the number of cancers that are linked to alcohol is always going to be a rough business. One analysis by IARC estimated that in Western European countries like the UK, around 5 per cent of cancers are linked to alcohol, which works out to around 15,000 cases a year. In the Oxford Textbook of Medicine, Professors Richard Doll and Richard Peto estimated that 6 per cent of cancer deaths in the UK are caused by alcohol, adding up to around 9,000 a year.
What level of drinking affects the risk of cancer?
There is a clear linear relationship between the amount of alcohol someone drinks, and their cancer risk. In other words, the more people drink, the higher their risk.
But cutting back drinking so you don’t feel drunk doesn’t mean you avoid risks to your health. Alcohol can increase the risk of cancer at levels too low to make an average person drunk. Studies have consistently shown that as little as three units a day – the amount in a pint of strong lager or a large glass of wine – can significantly increase the risk of mouth, oesophageal, laryngeal, breast and bowel cancers. At this level, the risks are fairly small but they get bigger the more you drink.
However, it seems that alcohol only increases the risk of liver or pancreatic cancers if people drink large amounts. This is because alcohol affects the risk of these cancers by causing cirrhosis or pancreatitis, conditions that are linked to heavy drinking.
Which is worse: binge drinking or spreading my drinking across the week?
We don’t actually know, and this is one of the big holes in the current evidence. Imagine someone who generally drinks nothing during the week but then knocks them back at weekends. So far, there’s not been enough research to tell if they have a higher or lower risk of cancer compared to someone who drinks the same total amount, but spread throughout the week.
There are hardly any published studies looking at the effects of different drinking patterns. One study suggested that weekend drinking had particularly strong effects on the risk of breast cancer, but it’s not conclusive in itself. As we said above, it’s the total amount that matters.
How high are the risks?
There’s a good meta-analysis (an overview of existing studies) that compares the effects of different levels of drinking on different cancer types. By collecting the results of previous studies, this analysis concluded, for example, that drinking 6 units a day (around 2 pints of strong lager):
• increases the risk of mouth cancer by 3 times (200 per cent)
• increases the risk of oesophageal cancer by 2 times (100 per cent)
• increases the risk of breast cancer by 55 per cent
• increases the risk of bowel cancer by 10-19 per cent
These figures are “relative risks”. They show how a person’s odds of developing cancer change as they drink, but they don’t tell you what those odds were in the first place. Those are called “absolute risks”.
For example, for a woman, the lifetime risk of breast cancer (the odds of developing the disease at some point in one’s life) is 11 per cent or 1 in 9. If that goes up by 55 per cent, the new absolute risk becomes 17 per cent or 1 in 6.
For a man, the lifetime risk of oesophageal cancer is 1.3 per cent or 1 in 75. If that doubles, the new absolute risk is 2.6 per cent or 1 in 38.
It is worth noting that breast and bowel cancer are far more common than mouth or oesophageal cancers so the absolute risk of developing these cancers is much higher. Even if that risk goes up by a relatively small amount, that translates to a large number of actual cases. For example, the Million Women Study concluded that if 1,000 UK women under the age of 75 drank an extra unit a day, they would develop 15 extra cancers, 11 of which would be breast cancer.
How do these studies actually work?
There are two main types. “Case-control studies” compare people with cancer to healthy people to see if differences in their drinking habits are linked to their disease. “Cohort studies” are generally stronger. They follow large groups of healthy people, collect detailed information about their lifestyle, medical history and more, and see what happens to their health over the course of years or even decades.
In both cases, it is important to collect information on other aspects of a person’s lifestyle that could also affect their risk of cancer. For example, if you were studying the link between alcohol and mouth cancer, it’s important to account for whether people smoked or not, since smoking is a major cause of mouth cancer and smoking and drinking often go hand-in-hand. Likewise, being overweight also causes cancer, and drinking alcohol can make people put on weight. These are called “confounding factors” and scientists use statistical methods to adjust for them. In this way, they can consider the effects of alcohol alone.
Typically, scientists measure alcohol consumption with questionnaires that ask people to report how much they drink. These questionnaires have an obvious drawback in that they rely on people being honest rather than playing down how much they drink – and indeed this is a criticism frequently levelled at studies of alcohol consumption.
But actually, it turns out that alcohol drinking is measured very well by questionnaires, at least for those used by the best and biggest studies. For example, the Million Women Study validated their questionnaire by comparing it to a 7-day food diary where participants write down everything they eat/drink on a daily basis for a week. They found a good level of agreement between the two measures. The EPIC study validated its questionnaire against actual urine and blood samples and found that alcohol was actually one of the parts of people’s diets most accurately measured by the questionnaires.
How does alcohol actually cause cancer?
There are probably many answers to this question because alcohol does a lot of things in our bodies. First and foremost, your body converts alcohol into a toxic chemical called acetaldehyde – responsible for many of the symptoms of a hangover. But acetaldehyde can also damage DNA – it sticks bulky molecules onto the famous double-helix and prevents our cells from repairing this damage.
Genetic studies support this idea. Some people in East Asian countries, like China and Japan, have genetic faults that either make them better at converting alcohol to acetaldehyde, or worse at getting rid of acetaldehyde. Either way, they build up unusually high levels of this chemical when they drink. And when they drink, they have a higher-than-usual risk of cancer.
As well as producing acetaldehyde, alcohol can also boost levels of oestrogen in the body, which could explain the link with breast cancer. And it increases the odds of developing cirrhosis, which, in turn, causes liver cancer. Finally, it can also make it easier for the tissues of the mouth or throat to absorb other cancer-causing chemicals, such as those found in cigarette smoke.
Do all types of alcohol affect the risk of cancer? Even wine? What about red wine?
You’ll see from the section above that, as far as cancer goes, the harmful effects of alcohol are common to all drinks, rather than any specific type. All alcoholic drinks, for example, produce acetaldehyde in the body.
There are some disagreements. Take wine, for example. It is difficult to untangle the possibility that wine consumption could simply be linked to generally healthier lifestyles. Some studies have found that wine increases the risk of cancer to a lesser degree than beer or spirits, others have said that it has the same effect, and yet others have concluded that it’s particularly harmful when it comes to cancers of the mouth or throat. For example, the Million Women Study found that women who only drank wine have similarly higher risks of cancer than those who drank all types of alcohol.
Red wine contains a chemical called resveratrol, which has some anti-cancer effects in laboratory cells. Many studies are looking at resveratrol as a possible drug for treating or preventing cancer, but as we’ve discussed elsewhere on this blog, this is a far cry from saying that red wine could protect people from cancer. A purified form of a chemical is not the same as the food or drink that contains it, and work in laboratory cells doesn’t automatically translate to effects in living people.
Isn’t some alcohol good for you?
There is evidence that drinking small amounts of alcohol can reduce the risk of heart disease in certain age groups. However, heavy drinking increases the risk of heart disease. Interestingly, a recent review of the global effects of alcohol estimated that alcohol causes twice as many cases of heart disease as it prevents.
We have to weigh up the heart disease effect against the links between alcohol and cancer, high blood pressure, some types of stroke, cirrhosis, liver disease, pancreatic disease and more. One analysis of 34 studies found that people who drink less than a unit a day have around 17-18 per cent lower risks of “total mortality”, which means that at any given age, they are less likely to die of any cause. These benefits disappear at roughly the level of alcohol drinking that the Government guidelines are set at.
It’s also important to realise that the benefits of light-drinking only applies to older age groups. According to one study, if you look at overall mortality, there is no beneficial level of drinking for women under 55 or men under 35.
The balance between the risks of cancer, heart disease and other conditions is why we are not suggesting that anyone avoids alcohol altogether. Instead, Cancer Research UK’s advice is to limit one’s drinking to one small drink a day for women (which is about two units a day) and two small drinks a day for men (about three to four units a day).
However, the important point is that, as we said above, there is a linear relationship between the amount you drink and your risk of cancer. This means that whatever you drink already, cutting down by some amount will help to reduce your risk. And, of course, doing so is entirely down to individual choice.
Alcohol and cancer
• There is no doubt that alcohol can cause seven types of cancer.
• The more you cut down on alcohol, the more you reduce your risk of cancer.
• There is limited risk if you only drink a little - such as one small drink a day for women or two for men.
• You don’t need to be drunk to increase your risk.
• Drinking and smoking together are even worse for you.
The consequences of drinking too much alcohol go well beyond the evening’s embarrassing antics or the morning’s hangover. Scientific studies have confirmed that alcohol can also cause cancer.
Obviously, not everyone who drinks will develop cancer. But on the whole, scientists have found that cancer is more common in people who drink alcohol than people who don’t.
Which cancers are affected?
Drinking alcohol can increase your risk of:
• Mouth cancer
• Pharyngeal cancer (upper throat)
• Oesophageal cancer (food pipe)
• Laryngeal cancer (voice box)
• Breast cancer
• Bowel cancer
• Liver cancer
Every year, alcohol causes about 6% of cancer deaths in the UK, killing over 9,000 people.
Along with smoking, alcohol causes the vast majority of mouth and food pipe cancers. In the last decade, mouth cancer has become much more common and this may be because of higher levels of drinking.
Can light drinking increase the risk of cancer?
Alcohol can increase the risk of cancer at levels far too low to make an average person drunk. It’s not just people who have ‘drinking problems’ who have higher risks.
As little as 3 units a day can increase the risk of mouth, throat, food pipe, breast and bowel cancers. That’s the amount in one pint of premium lager or a large glass of wine!
Alcohol has a weaker effect on the risk of breast cancer than on other cancers, but it starts having an effect at a lower level.
What about heavy drinking?
The more alcohol you drink, the higher your risk of developing cancer. Heavy drinking can cause cirrhosis of the liver, which can in turn cause liver cancer.
Heavy drinking can also cause heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, stomach ulcers, pancreatitis and, of course, injuries.
Are there safe limits?
There is limited risk if you only drink a little, such as:
• one small drink a day for women (about two units a day).
• two small drinks a day for men (about three to four units a day).
But remember that:
• your risk increases the more you drink, and
• some drinks may contain more alcohol than you imagine.
Which is worse: binge drinking or spreading my drinking across the week?
Research tells us that the total amount of alcohol you drink over time has a much bigger effect on cancer risk than when or how it is drunk.
People are more likely to develop cancer if they drink a lot of alcohol, no matter whether they save it up and drink it in one go, or drink it steadily over a week.
Does drinking matter if you smoke?
People who smoke and drink multiply the damage they receive, because tobacco and alcohol work together to damage the cells of the body. Alcohol makes it easier for the mouth and throat to absorb the cancer-causing chemicals in tobacco.
Studies have found that, on average, people who smoke and drink are up to 50 times more likely to get some types of cancer than people who neither smoke nor drink.
Do all types of alcohol increase the risk of cancer?
All types of alcohol increase the risk of cancer, even red wine. It is the alcohol itself that does the damage, regardless of whether it is in the form of beer, wine or spirits.
Elsewhere in this section, you can read about whether alcohol has any benefits for your health.
Why are women recommended to drink less than men?
The slightly different recommendations for men and women are based on biological differences between the two sexes.
• A woman’s liver produces less of an enzyme called alcohol dehydrogenase that breaks down alcohol. So alcohol stays in a woman’s body for longer.
• There is some evidence that drinking just one unit of alcohol a day can significantly increase the risk of breast cancer. Smaller bodies can absorb less alcohol than large ones and on average, women are smaller than men.
• Because of their curvy shape, women also tend to have more body fat and less body water than men. This means that any alcohol a woman drinks becomes more concentrated in her body that it would be in a man of the same size.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
In the UK their dept of Health and Cancer posted that there is NO SAFE amount, not even one drink. Those studies about it reducing the issues of heart disease were done because some post menopausal women with a poor prognosis to live were able to increase the weeks of their short lives by a few , ONLY because the heart disease was so advanced that the cancer would not have time to catch up, so all the pop culture thinks hey I drink to help my heart based on only being aware of poor study info

F.I.S.T.

F.I.S.T.

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2011
Those are some interesting posts.I would really like to see the documented studies on these theories.

IMHO though,I think most of what is said in those posts may relate to abuse of alcohol,not normal consumption.

F.I.S.T.

F.I.S.T.

MuscleHead
Sep 24, 2011
Here's a report from the mayo clinic boasting the benefits of moderate alcohol use disputing some of what is said above...

Alcohol use: If you drink, keep it moderate

Alcohol use is a slippery slope. Moderate drinking can offer some health benefits. But it's easy to drink too heavily, leading to serious health consequences.

By Mayo Clinic staff It sounds like a mixed message: Drinking alcohol may offer some health benefits, especially for your heart. On the other hand, alcohol may increase your risk of health problems and damage your heart.
So which is it? When it comes to drinking alcohol, the key is doing so only in moderation. Certainly, you don't have to drink any alcohol, and if you currently don't drink, don't start drinking for the possible health benefits. In some cases, it's safest to avoid alcohol entirely — the possible benefits don't outweigh the risks.
Here's a closer look at the connection between alcohol and your health.
Health benefits of moderate alcohol use

Moderate alcohol consumption may provide some health benefits. It may:

• Reduce your risk of developing heart disease
  • Reduce your risk of dying of a heart attack
  • Possibly reduce your risk of strokes, particularly ischemic strokes
  • Lower your risk of gallstones
  • Possibly reduce your risk of diabetes
Even so, the evidence about the possible health benefits of alcohol isn't certain, and alcohol may not benefit everyone who drinks.
Moderate alcohol use may be of most benefit only if you're an older adult or if you have existing risk factors for heart disease, such as high cholesterol. If you're a middle-aged or younger adult, some evidence shows that even moderate alcohol use may cause more harm than good. In fact, if you're a woman and drink alcohol, talk to your doctor about taking supplemental folate to help reduce the risk of breast cancer associated with alcohol use. You can take other steps to benefit your cardiovascular health besides drinking — eating a healthy diet and exercising, for example.
Guidelines for moderate alcohol use

The 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend that if you choose to drink alcohol you do so only in moderation — up to one drink a day for women or two drinks a day for men.
Examples of one drink include:

• Beer: 12 fluid ounces (355 milliliters)
  • Wine: 5 fluid ounces (148 milliliters)
  • Distilled spirits (80 proof): 1.5 fluid ounces (44 milliliters)

When to avoid alcohol use

Keep in mind that moderate use of alcohol doesn't mean that using alcohol is risk-free. For example, if you binge drink — such as having four or five drinks in the space of a few hours — you face serious health problems. Likewise if you drink and drive.
Here are other situations in which the risks of alcohol use may outweigh possible health benefits:

• You're pregnant or trying to become pregnant
  • You take medications that can interact with alcohol
  • You've had a previous hemorrhagic stroke
  • You've been diagnosed with alcoholism or alcohol abuse
  • You have liver or pancreatic disease
  • You have heart failure or you've been told you have a weak heart or dilated cardiomyopathy
  • You're planning to drive a vehicle or operate machinery
Some situations are less clear-cut. Use alcohol only with great care and after consulting your doctor if:

• You have a family history of alcoholism
  • You take prescription medications for a health problem
  • You use over-the-counter pain relievers or fever reducers
  • You have a family history of breast cancer
  • You have precancerous changes in your esophagus, larynx, pharynx or mouth
Consequences of heavy alcohol use

Although moderate alcohol use may offer some health benefits, heavy drinking — including binge drinking — has no health benefits. Excessive drinking can cause potentially serious health problems, including:

• Certain cancers, including breast cancer and cancers of the mouth, pharynx, larynx, esophagus and liver
  • Pancreatitis
  • Sudden death if you already have cardiovascular disease
  • Heart muscle damage (alcoholic cardiomyopathy) leading to heart failure
  • Stroke
  • High blood pressure
  • Cirrhosis of the liver
  • Suicide
  • Accidental serious injury or death
  • Fetal alcohol syndrome and other health problems in an unborn child
Drink alcohol only in moderation — or not at all

The latest dietary guidelines make it clear that no one should begin drinking or drink more frequently on the basis of potential health benefits. So don't feel pressured to drink alcohol. But if you do drink alcohol and you're healthy, there's probably no need to stop as long as you drink responsibly and in moderation.

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic