Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

done with the new psych meds.

Warhead14

Warhead14

TID Board Of Directors
Jul 23, 2011
So va put me on new meds a month ago I quit taking them today because I was suffering from a lot of side effects like extremities shaking, urine that looks like OJ with pulp, thirst,muscle trembling, jerking, or stiffnes, difficult urination,severe mood or mental changes,talking or acting you cannot control. So my bad should be fixed when out of my system. Im done with VA I just went back to to get my nuvigil cheaper.
Watch this video. Skip to 149.06

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
So va put me on new meds a month ago I quit taking them today because I was suffering from a lot of side effects like extremities shaking, urine that looks like OJ with pulp, thirst,muscle trembling, jerking, or stiffnes, difficult urination,severe mood or mental changes,talking or acting you cannot control. So my bad should be fixed when out of my system. Im done with VA I just went back to to get my nuvigil cheaper.
The old VA starter kit.

Those motherfuckers kill me. Low test, they will fight you tooth and nail before giving you TRT and they do not even treat it correctly. Want to see a chiropractor, nope. However, they will pass out psyche meds and opiates like they are candy. I can literally call my doctor right now and ask for psyche meds or opiates and he will prescribe them, no questions asked.

I will say though, not all VA clinics are the same. The first one I went to was freaking awesome. They automatically tested you for low testosterone if you were over a certain age and gave you TRT if needed. When looking over my chart they seen I had degenerative disk disease and offered me chiropractic and acupuncture.

Pig Vomit

Pig Vomit

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2022
I'm sorry I didn't notice this post until now. Haven't been coming by much, I should change that.

I have complex PTS (we don't say D anymore) from my policing career. It was BAD. Flashbacks, depression, anxiety, panic attacks, etc. Don't know if you have PTS or not, I'm textbook.

I have been through a ton of different psyche meds. Some of the sides were just horrible. I gradually switched to meds with less sides. More sides, less sides, no sides, ***no antidepressant ever worked***. Doctors don't even know how they really work. Studies have shown that only a small percentage of people get benefits from antidepressants. I was not one of them.

After a good 2-3 years on them, I made the decision to come off. Did it slowly, but come off I did. Absolutely no change whatsoever in my mental status.

Things got bad enough that I felt I might take my own life, but I wanted to live. I eventually switched therapists, did a lot of EMDR (that works wonders), and went to a program called Save A Warrior www.saveawarrior.org. Save A Warrior probably saved my life. The EMDR and therapist also helped, but SAW was the kick in the butt I needed. I cannot say enough good things about it. You're a vet, it's free, all you have to do is get your butt to their beautiful compound in Ohio. They will pick you up at the airport, you stay on site, they feed you, etc. You just need to get there. I'm also involved in online peer support for PTS, and that is HUGE in my recovery as well. The stories are different, but the impact and reaction on our lives are the same.

If anyone here is a vet (I'm not a vet, SAW used to accept first responders but now they get all their funding from DAV and as a condition they no longer accept first responders) and wants to know more about it, feel free to PM me and I'll try to answer any questions you have. SAW is for PTSD, not just depression. Talk to your doc if you're not sure whether you have it or not. Complex PTS means you have childhood trauma as well. Mine was seemingly minor until I realized how much it shaped my reaction to my policing traumas.

There's been a lot of research into ketamine/MDMA/psylocibin/etc. It's very promising...HOWEVER...that's stuff that should be done in tandem with a specifically trained therapist talking to you while you are on the drugs. It's not a self-treat take what you want with no therapist thing. I may try it at some point, but I really don't feel the need right now. To do it right is expensive.

Just talking about my own experiences. Your mileage may vary. Happy to talk to anyone about this who feels it will help.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I'm sorry I didn't notice this post until now. Haven't been coming by much, I should change that.

I have complex PTS (we don't say D anymore) from my policing career. It was BAD. Flashbacks, depression, anxiety, panic attacks, etc. Don't know if you have PTS or not, I'm textbook.

I have been through a ton of different psyche meds. Some of the sides were just horrible. I gradually switched to meds with less sides. More sides, less sides, no sides, ***no antidepressant ever worked***. Doctors don't even know how they really work. Studies have shown that only a small percentage of people get benefits from antidepressants. I was not one of them.

After a good 2-3 years on them, I made the decision to come off. Did it slowly, but come off I did. Absolutely no change whatsoever in my mental status.

Things got bad enough that I felt I might take my own life, but I wanted to live. I eventually switched therapists, did a lot of EMDR (that works wonders), and went to a program called Save A Warrior www.saveawarrior.org. Save A Warrior probably saved my life. The EMDR and therapist also helped, but SAW was the kick in the butt I needed. I cannot say enough good things about it. You're a vet, it's free, all you have to do is get your butt to their beautiful compound in Ohio. They will pick you up at the airport, you stay on site, they feed you, etc. You just need to get there. I'm also involved in online peer support for PTS, and that is HUGE in my recovery as well. The stories are different, but the impact and reaction on our lives are the same.

If anyone here is a vet (I'm not a vet, SAW used to accept first responders but now they get all their funding from DAV and as a condition they no longer accept first responders) and wants to know more about it, feel free to PM me and I'll try to answer any questions you have. SAW is for PTSD, not just depression. Talk to your doc if you're not sure whether you have it or not. Complex PTS means you have childhood trauma as well. Mine was seemingly minor until I realized how much it shaped my reaction to my policing traumas.

There's been a lot of research into ketamine/MDMA/psylocibin/etc. It's very promising...HOWEVER...that's stuff that should be done in tandem with a specifically trained therapist talking to you while you are on the drugs. It's not a self-treat take what you want with no therapist thing. I may try it at some point, but I really don't feel the need right now. To do it right is expensive.

Just talking about my own experiences. Your mileage may vary. Happy to talk to anyone about this who feels it will help.
PV is spot on with this. I do not think there has ever been a study that showed that psyche meds by themselves accomplished anything significant (according to Van Der Kolk, it has never happened). However, when coupled with therapy they can be beneficial.

Thrawn

Thrawn

MuscleHead
Jun 12, 2023
The old VA starter kit.

Those motherfuckers kill me. Low test, they will fight you tooth and nail before giving you TRT and they do not even treat it correctly. Want to see a chiropractor, nope. However, they will pass out psyche meds and opiates like they are candy. I can literally call my doctor right now and ask for psyche meds or opiates and he will prescribe them, no questions asked.

I will say though, not all VA clinics are the same. The first one I went to was freaking awesome. They automatically tested you for low testosterone if you were over a certain age and gave you TRT if needed. When looking over my chart they seen I had degenerative disk disease and offered me chiropractic and acupuncture.
VA won't do pain or TRT. I've seen the VA's monthly TRT checklist sheet and it appears they want you to get off of it which makes no sense, I'll see if I could find it again but it was a very detailed flow sheet on age and test levels. I go see my private for trt and pain was on a lot more shit than I am now till, he got a visit from the government 5 years ago. Twice I've been there in there when corner investigator has shown up. But to quote the world renowned poet the verve"drug don't work" I take 20% of the pain meds I'm supposed to take because I don't feel them anymore. The 20% part is so don't go through massive withdrawals. As a mind placebo effect.

Thrawn

Thrawn

MuscleHead
Jun 12, 2023
I don't mean to dump my inner brain thoughts on y'all it's just frustrating when you recognize shit's not right and you see it getting worse.
Comparing that to you're getting worse but you can't tell although everybody else around you can.

Like I know different parts of the brain are being activated right now because. Take the pleasure zone of music normally blink, korn, third eye blind, Alice in chains, motley Crue, guano apes.
Compare that to these video links but please these are NOT SAFE for work and probably not safe if you have people around you, could be offensive to some. And I realize all these have a pretty common theme. So that tells me the enjoyment center of my brain is changing which I don't know what that fuck means because I'm not a brain guy, but I recognize shit's changing at least that's good.
Should probably say last VA appointment The doctor agreed of discontinuing the meds which I already did it anyway and lowered Wellbutrin to 100. if Estrogen levels crashed, The only thing that fixs that is more test and time correct? without taking external estrogen. I mean if I have to march my ass in the CVS to get some fucking birth control and extract the estrogen or take the whole damn thing and just block the progesterone I'll do that

Thrawn

Thrawn

MuscleHead
Jun 12, 2023
And I used the music part as an example of some of the changes because that's probably the easiest visual and audible comparison to give out. Just don't everyone to get caught up on the music side of it

Thrawn

Thrawn

MuscleHead
Jun 12, 2023

Thank you for the info and I'm glad you're doing better. But you told my secret how to drastically increase my dopamine and serotonin levels this weekend lol initially intended to take it as a couple since it's been oh shit 25 years since I've escaped reality and of course the scientific therapeutic effects on couples. when I brought it up my wife she lost her shit. definitely was not the reaction I was expecting. agree with you I haven't been on anti depressants in years but I was kind of desperate this time for anything that may help but in hindsight I don't think any has ever helped me just make shit worse usually side effect wise. Just as a precaution though which I'm not there but didn't want to do something impulsive , so the arsenal is out of the house and secure. 1 firearm left for the wife that I don't have access to.

T

trt-depression

Jan 15, 2024
What are the "new psych meds"? What med were you on? Yes, most antidepressants don't work and it's more of an art than science choosing an antidepressant. Escitalopram does work for me and for others I know but not for about 2 months and yes, side effects. I recently stopped and I have much more pain in my body and cannot control my anger and cannot sleep well. I may go back on it but the main thing I noticed are the physical effects and not the mental as it does help with nerve pain and makes you enjoy things, like a hot bath, where without it I do not enjoy much of anything.

TheClap

TheClap

VIP Member
Oct 25, 2011
What are the "new psych meds"? What med were you on? Yes, most antidepressants don't work and it's more of an art than science choosing an antidepressant.
Bump to this question. What meds were you on if you're willing to share. And while you're at it, what's your diagnosis. Maybe you said and I missed it.

Me, I'm one that has to be on psych meds. I'm bipolar and I don't really get the depression, but without a mood stabilizer I go right into a very dysphoric mania. Dysphoric as in not euphoric at all. Weed used to put me into a euphoric mania and so it was way fucking hard for me to quit. Some might ask why I quit. Because I'm an addict and that's exactly how I smoked it... all fucking day every fucking day. And mania causes brain damage. My memory got so so fucking bad. I'd have blackouts in my memory all the time. Even when I wasn't high.

Anyway, the point I really wanted to get to is this. If you've got depression or PTSD or anxiety or about any mental health problem, and you can afford it, you owe it to yourself to get ketamine infusions. Ketamine infusions saved my fucking life man. In 2016 I had been in a depression for over a year with barely a single reprieve. I had committed that I wasn't going to kill myself until I had tried absolutely everything, ECT included if it came to that. At that time one of my closest friends started working at a Ketamine clinic and recommended I go that rout. It's the best money I ever spent man. And it was fucking expensive, but after I got done I was a completely new person. I was my old self again. I didn't need another infusion until 2019. It was a lasting change. It makes you realize every little thing you have to be grateful for and you get to see what immense potential you still have. Plus it feels really really fucking good, so there's that. I've never snorted ketamine, but I'm willing to bet that it's a completely different experience IV.

Now I have my own IV pump and lots of ketamine so I have an infusion probably more often than I need. Hell if you were close to where I live I'd give you infusions for free. I've done that for a number of people now and the result is always the same. The light comes back on in their eyes and they become the best version of themselves they've ever been. I can't tell you how many times I've been called a medicine man and told I saved their life or gave them a life worth living.

If you can afford it then don't even question, go do it. And PM me if you like, maybe you do live close by.

Peace, and all the best to you. I mean that.

Thrawn

Thrawn

MuscleHead
Jun 12, 2023
I know Zoloft was one of them I can't remember the others. I discontinued all the meds though because I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and I do know hypothyroidism can cause tons of issues including mental. So my theory was to get the thyroid in check and reevaluate my mental state afterwards. Started at 50mcg t4, then 75,now 88mcg. More labs in 3wks. I'll post my most recent thyroid labs shortly. Magically though some aripipazole(abilify) showed up at my door a couple weeks ago. I told my provider that I'm not going to take it yet until my thyroid stabilized. VA did call this morning to schedule an MRI of the brain. It was a little shocking because 3 days ago I was referred to neuro and I didn't necessarily think that would be a move they would do first. They were concerned about my shakes which I do not have at rest I only have when muscles are being used.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic