Latest Member
SDUBUBLACK
What's New?

Do you train to failure?

oldschool1967

oldschool1967

VIP Member
Aug 6, 2011
if you train till failure, especially every workout, you will over tax your whole system, unless you are 16..
use that sparingly, every 3rd workout or so.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Based on the science we have training to failure is optimal for hypertrophy. The thing is I rarely see most pros train to failure. Didn't dorian train to failure on just about every set?
Personally I have always made my best size gains in the 12-20 rep range. My best strength gains in the 6-8 rep range. Then again if you look at Olympic lifters they have huge huge quads, spinal erectors, and often very well developed traps and delts but rarely do more than 3-5 reps during their training.

I also find it hard to believe training a muscle once per week is really optimal especially for small bodyparts like biceps,calves etc which often recover in 24-48 hours.

My coach rarely trains me to failure. Instead, he often has me train to the point where I can't keep good form on higher rep sets. On low rep sets we stop after only a few singles or doubles (with long rest periods in between).

If your goal is hypertrophy, I am guessing you should do direct training of biceps, calves and other small bodyparts, one to two times per week maximum. Don't forget the biceps get trained when you do compound exercises, like clean and press, deadlift, pullups, etc. and calves get trained when you do compound exercises like squats, deadlifts, etc.

For strength training, my coach recommends against direct training of biceps or calves. I train them anyway because I don't want to be the strongman in the room with small biceps and triceps! My calves grow without direct training so I don't do them. . .

Last edited:
gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
I rarely train to failure. At my age I feel I'm flirting with injury when I do. Maybe one movement on one body part per month just to see where I'm at. I generally keep my reps in the 10-15 range. If I dip down to the 6 or less range I just feel it in my joints. If you are in your 20's and juiced to the gills feel free to take every set of every exercise to failure.

Rod crowley

Rod crowley

Dec 1, 2012
To failure no.After 35 years of hitting the iron ive discovered long ago that's not necessary.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic