Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Do you have Anxiety?

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
I see mine coming a mile and a half away but it is like an avalanche and won't slow or stop till it is out of steam...... just went to VA this morn and got medication for the first time, I feel like a loser/druggy but I gotta do something.
Pm LG

It takes practice. It can take years to get good at it. I see a therapist monthly who turned me on to the book minding the body mending the mind. She was astonished at the effects I was reporting within the first week.

I spend 20 minutes a day in a designated spot in my home. My mind is clear.

The trick to stopping a panic attack is to take Control of your breathing. Force your breathing into your stomach and slow it. You can't control what causes the panic attack, so instead you control it's devastating effects and their pathways. Breathing is the silver bullet

^^Spot on POB. I've been battling this for over 20 years. At that time they just though you were nuts, I think it's good everyone is talking about it so we don't feel alone or nuttz. I found a Doc years after my 1st episode and he taught me that very exercise, it helps immensely. With time and experience you get a handle on it. I find now major stress events bring it on but usually a day or so after the stress. Good stuff to share

I get severe panic attacks... I wouldn't wish them on my worse enemy.. fkn scary as hell...the 10 min it takes for the Xanax to kick in and squash it when im having one is like an eternity....I take Effexor 75mg on a daily basis which helps...But there no joke... like losing control of your mind for 30 min..if you've ever had severe attacks you know what im talking about...
I know exactly what you mean kid. Racing mind, thoughts all over, can't breathe, racing heart. They put me on those but I couldn't take it . You have to wean yourself off that stuff brother. It's bad stuff, with time and practice you can get a handle on it.

I think a big part in this stuff starting comes around the time we realize our mortality, it helped me come to grip with the fact we're all here only for a short time, all of us. Not to be morbid guys but it really helped me to realize this and enjoy the time we have

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Thanks for the insight G man. I'm always trying to rationalize thoughts with myself. I like to try tips that others suggest like the one you mentioned.

I'm scared to talk about this to too many people. I kinda feel like I get put in the looney category. Or people look down on me, so I choose carefully who I tell about it.

Plus I'm embarrassed to talk about to be honest. I feel like a burden and I have guilty thoughts all the time. Thanks to everyone who mentioned some anxiety books. I'm going to look into getting them.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Thanks for the insight G man. I'm always trying to rationalize thoughts with myself. I like to try tips that others suggest like the one you mentioned.

I'm scared to talk about this to too many people. I kinda feel like I get put in the looney category. Or people look down on me, so I choose carefully who I tell about it.

Plus I'm embarrassed to talk about to be honest. I feel like a burden and I have guilty thoughts all the time. Thanks to everyone who mentioned some anxiety books. I'm going to look into getting them.

Hey Turbo. Most of us have one issue or another. Very few don't have any. I have mild depression most of the time and some minor anxiety (nothing on the scale of what you guys have been describing). I walk around feeling kind of sad about anything I happen to be unhappy about at the moment, and sometimes feeling hopeless, and when I feel anxious, I get so I have to leave the room (hyperventillating,feel like I am going to pee my pants) and sometimes I just freeze and my mind goes blank. Luckily the anxiety / panic attacks are rare and I avoid things that can trigger them.

I also spent a lot of time walking around feeling guilty. Eventually I just decided guilt is a useless emotion, so I worked hard to stop feeling guilty and to fix the underlying behaviors. My counselor helped me with that too. Now I don't feel nearly so guilty all the time.

The real question is whether you can manage the problem. And managing it sometimes requires outside help / perspective, thus counsellors can and do play a good role, but also talking about it with family and friends (the ones you can trust) can help too.

Last edited:
PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011

Nothing to be embarrassed about. Once you start talking about it, as you can see in this very thread more and more people start saying hey I have that too!!!

We all have something to over come in life. Some of us don't know why, some of us have had horrible traumatic things happen to us. It all adds up to what we are.

The only thing I would ever be embarrassed about would be if I was doing nothing to overcome. If I just sat around feeling sorry for myself and continued treating people around me like shit because I can't control my emotions.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Thanks man. Just talking about it and hearing others experiences helps. I guess because you know you're not the only one.

I actually feel better after re reading this thread and airing my past experiences.

Thanks everyone for sharing.

D

Divorce

MuscleHead
Aug 11, 2011
So I posted this thread a couple of years ago (almost).

I know this isn't a therapy board or anything of the sort but it would be nice to see how everyone is doing with it, hopefully some will have made progress and have advice for others who haven't.

fattytophatty

fattytophatty

TID Lady Member
Dec 26, 2014
Used to as a kid. As an adult the anxiety turned more into OCD type behavior (still an anxiety issue). I rejected meds for it and instead learned how to recognize when I'm having those feelings and how to deal with it (sleep and staying on top of things is key for me). Very mild, non debilitating. Just annoying to everyone else lol. I don't worry about shit like I used to or worry about shit I can't change. If something or someone is causing me anxiety, I fix it (ie you're getting dumped, lol).

Last edited:
TheSpectre

TheSpectre

MuscleHead
May 4, 2013
My severe anxiety started in 2nd Grade when I was eight years old. It's never improved on its own. I currently take 2mg twice daily of Klonopin (clonazepam) just to function. I was taking an MAOI called Nardil (phenelzine) years ago and other than benzodiazepines, it's the only real medication that helped. If I don't take my Klonopin I can't even eat breakfast. I feel like someone who ate 6 No-Doz and 50mg ephedrine HCL all day. It's a crippling disease. My brother suffers from it almost identically.

fattytophatty

fattytophatty

TID Lady Member
Dec 26, 2014
My severe anxiety started in 2nd Grade when I was eight years old. It's never improved on its own. I currently take 2mg twice daily of Klonopin (clonazepam) just to function. I was taking an MAOI called Nardil (phenelzine) years ago and other than benzodiazepines, it's the only real medication that helped. If I don't take my Klonopin I can't even eat breakfast. I feel like someone who ate 6 No-Doz and 50mg ephedrine HCL all day. It's a crippling disease. My brother suffers from it almost identically.

Thanks for sharing. I really feel for you. My niece has anxiety similar to what you describe and it is debilitating for her to the point she can't function away from my sister.

TheSpectre

TheSpectre

MuscleHead
May 4, 2013
You bet. How old is your niece? I wish my parents had taken me to a psychiatrist at least by middle school. My life would be so much different, for the better. I would have tried harder in school, played football, just been a more outgoing sociable person.

It's kinda crazy that when I was 16 my older brother gave me some Mexican Rohypnol. I took two and felt at ease. I could talk to anyone. A year later (1999) I started to self medicate with Xanax and Valium. GHB as well for short term social situations.

I've tried every SSRI, SNRI, tricyclic, etc... Not one did a damn thing to lower my anxiety levels.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
So I posted this thread a couple of years ago (almost).

I know this isn't a therapy board or anything of the sort but it would be nice to see how everyone is doing with it, hopefully some will have made progress and have advice for others who haven't.

I was fortunate to find a therapist that is working with me on meditation, and mindfulness. He's trying to help me reprogram my thinking patterns. Still struggle daily though, but meditation is nice, and seems to help. The past couple weeks my anxiety levels have been really high, and I don't know the reason. He told me sometimes it just happens and there isn't something you can pin point.

Still am not able to work a real job, but I hope in the future that I am able to be around other people for longer periods of time without discomfort. Dealing with chronic anger and irritation is exhausting.

Also, I've been dealing with severe anger and irritation issues for a couple months now. I think this comes from frustration and wanting to be able to do more, but not being able to.

I'm usually not this open to anyone except parents, and Dr's or therapist. But I consider a lot of people on here to be my close personal friends and know that they don't and won't judge me, but continue to be supportive.

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic