jacobss
What's New?

Destroying and Old Computer

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Ok tech geeks, yes, you again know who you are.

I have an old computer I need to throw out, what do I need to do to it besides take the RAM and Hard drive out??

mugzy

mugzy

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 11, 2010
Thats about it. Likely the motherboard, processor, sound and video cards are outdated and of no value.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
It's an Acer it an 8G hard drive, LOL Not really sure why I still have it to tell you the truth.

MightyMouse719

MightyMouse719

National Champion & VIP Member
Jul 8, 2011
Target practice?
Damn! Mayo beat me to it.

goldy

goldy

Chutzpah VIP
Jan 17, 2011
if you need to be paranoid just get a degausser :D

R

ragamuffin

Sep 10, 2010
More than likely the memory will do you no good if the machine is of any age. An 8 gig hard drive isnt squat anymore, and its probably and IDE anyway. If its SATA, you could always slave it in a new machine for a backup drive I suppose. I saw a hard drive destruction box at a mailbox place today. If your worried about data on the drive, you can always drill holes in the platters, or pass a strong magnetic current over it.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Thanks, not sure of 1/2 the acronyms you used rags, lol

Tin snips do a number on the insides of a computer as an FYI. Drilled about 20 holes through the drive, I think I am all set.

Thanks

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
FYI... magnets and degaussers dont do shit to modern hard drives.. I know this first hand...

However... a sledge hammer will do the trick... also first hand ;)

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
What if you can't physically destroy the computer cause you gotta turn it back in to the employer? What's the best way to erase the hard drive while leaving the computer functional?

slicwilly2000

slicwilly2000

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2010
When I have an old hard drive that I need to get the info off of I use Darik's Boot & Nuke. However that may or may not run on your system in which case I would recommend killdisk. Then after that use a powerful magnet. My favorite kind are the ones they use to keep doors shut at a place of employment. If you don't have one of those use the most powerful one you can find. My boss always found it funny when I did that. That should be sufficient however you can drill holes in it as well and smash it with a hammer.

Slic.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic