Latest Member
angelarbatt
What's New?

Deload: What Do You Do?

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
A good friend of mine wrote this short summary on the practice of deloading. It's a pretty concise yet informative look at the reasons for and the dfferent ways to deload.

Do YOU deload? If so, what approach do you take and why? For me, I used to use 50% of my working weight about every 8 weeks. But it was so mind-numbing at that weight that I eventually moved to a total week off every 10-12 weeks. However you do it, I strongly believe in the need for some type of deload within your program. Usually (unless you're just a freak), if you dont voluntarily take time off, you will end up involuntarily doing it through injury. IMO the best way to do it is to figure out the right schedule for yourself (everyone is different, but not vastly) and stick to it. Don't wait until your body starts complaining. Try to stay one step ahead.

There are countless posts on the best way to train biceps, the optimum split for getting huge, how to bench press properly, or any of a million other questions on how to become bigger, leaner, or break through plateaus.

But one technique that helps achieve all of these goals is very seldom discussed: De-Loading. A de-load is a planned reduction in volume or intensity (usually for one week, or one cycle of your training split), whose purpose is to allow the body to dissipate accumulated fatigue, allow you to fully recover, and prepare you for further gains. Also, remember that weight training does not just tax your muscles. It also puts stress on your joints, ligaments, connective tissues, and central nervous system.

Why should you De-Load:

• To allow your joints, tendons, ligaments, and other supporting tissues to repair.
  • To allow your central nervous system (CNS) to recover
  • To give yourself a mental break from the intensity of heavy lifting
  • To reduce the risk of under-recovery (overtraining)
  • To prepare you for greater gains
Experienced lifters know that you can't go 100% all out in the gym all the time. Your body can't take it, and you can't keep up that mental intensity forever. If you try to, you often wind up getting injured, start just "going through the motions" in your workouts, stall out in your progression, and perhaps even give up completely.

If you de-load at regular intervals, you will find that over time you will make better progress, reduce your injuries, and keep yourself in the game mentally.

When to De-Load:

This depends on your experience & intensity level, your age & recovery ability, the program you are following, and many other factors. If you are new to lifting, you lack the ability to overtax your CNS, muscles, and connective tissues as much as a very experienced lifter, so you may only need to deload once every couple of months. If you are older and have a reduced ability to recover from weight training, then you may need to deload as often as every couple of weeks. In general, you need to set your frequency of deloading according to how hard you train and how quickly you recover. Somewhere in the range of every 4-8 weeks will work well for most people.

Signs that a de-load may be in order:

• You feel tired, persistently fatigued, have a decreased desire to train, or other symptoms of under-recovery (overtraining).
  • Your weight progression is stalling and you can't seem to increase most lifts
  • You are experiencing aches, sprains, tendinitis, etc.
  • You train regularly
Note that last point again: If you train regularly, then you should de-load regularly as well. In fact, a regularly scheduled de-load should come before you start exhibiting any of these symptoms.

How to De-Load:

A de-load is a planned reduction in either volume or intensity, usually a week long (or one training cycle of your split). How you do it is up to you. The main thing is to back off your total effort to about 50-60% of what you would do during a normal training week. A few examples of how to train during a de-load week:

• Do your normal routine and normal volume (sets & reps) but reduce the weight you use to about 50-60% of what you normally work out with for each exercise.
  • Use the same weight as you normally would, but drop your number of total volume (sets x reps) to 50-60% of your normal volume. (Note that you should stick to an 8+ rep scheme here.)
  • Train muscle groups that normally don't get a lot of attention
  • Use light weight and focus on refining your form and technique
  • Decrease your lifting and increase your cardio

... or any combination of the above. The main thing is to make sure that at the end of the workout you still have a decent amount of "gas in the tank". Personally, I prefer to de-load by dropping my weights to 50-60% of what I normally use, stick with the same volume, and focus on refining my form, technique, and mind-muscle connection.

If you want, you can even just take a week off entirely. If you know you are going to be on vacation, for example, just plan your training around it so that you can use that time as a de-load period. You'll be training smart and not feel the need to try to find some way to work out when the rest of your family is relaxing.

Summary:

The goal of a de-load is to allow you to become stronger, faster, and bigger, by incorporating a planned "active recovery" phase into your normal workout program. If you do it correctly, you should be able to make more gains that you would without de-loading, reduce your risk of injury, give yourself a mental break, preemptively address hidden recovery issues.

Last edited:
jandj0821

jandj0821

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2011
great post II. I personally go every 4 weeks while on 5/3/1 but when i did the Flood and Destoy I hated the last 3 weeks not doing a deload. I felt every tendon and muscle crying. lol

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
Great post! Deloading is something ive never planned, but am taking it more seriously now... Currently taking the week of but would of rather planned it and just worked with 50%. Can't wait to get back in there..... Very tempting to cut my break short.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Great post! Deloading is something ive never planned, but am taking it more seriously now... Currently taking the week of but would of rather planned it and just worked with 50%. Can't wait to get back in there..... Very tempting to cut my break short.

That's the way you should feel... but don't do it. Stick with the plan.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
I have a love/hate relationship with deload week.It is so neccessary though.Especially if you are getting in that category of an "older" lifter. I used to train 120% in the gym and never stop .It caught up with me eventually. I was losing pounds on lifts and the mental frustration was driving me crazy.I take every 4th week off now.I do no weight lifting .It seems assanine to me to go in and lift light.Instead I do endurance work all week. My training partners are opposite they still lift but at much lower percentages.

400Lb Gorilla

400Lb Gorilla

MuscleHead
Jul 27, 2011
lmao i recognize this! excellent post II. yeah i tended to take a complete week off when i deloaded in the past. with 5/3/1 it dictates to take a lighter weight week off but... yeah i take one when i start getting some early signs that i need to(usually stuff like hips getting tighter or wrists ache from pressing, etc.)

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
3 hard ass weeks in a row and deload the 4th usually with just taking 2 days off which ends up to about 5.

Say you train M/T/T/F so is Saturday Sunday, Wednesday are already off and you take Monday and Tuesday this is 5 off and plenty. Or just do light assistance work and don't hit the main movements for the week or a combo of both.

The bottom line is your resting your CNS not you muscles the muscle feel weak because your CNS is shot!

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
Great post, and while most PLers deload you will find that few bbers do. Few ego's can take backing off and today's bbing split of training a body part 1x EW does not constitute the need in many cases (too low of a frequency so they fully recover for the most part).

I train using a conjugate patterned routine training a body part 2XEW and at the end of 6 wks. I am toast. So, I deload for 2 weeks keeps wts around 80% of normal and take weekends off completely which cuts down my frequency. At the end of the deload I am itching to go.

I will say this, it can be tuff on the ego to go to the gym and use lighter wts than you know you can handle, yet the results are worth it.

Hawk

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
Great post, and while most PLers deload you will find that few bbers do. Few ego's can take backing off and today's bbing split of training a body part 1x EW does not constitute the need in many cases (too low of a frequency so they fully recover for the most part).

I train using a conjugate patterned routine training a body part 2XEW and at the end of 6 wks. I am toast. So, I deload for 2 weeks keeps wts around 80% of normal and take weekends off completely which cuts down my frequency. At the end of the deload I am itching to go.

I will say this, it can be tuff on the ego to go to the gym and use lighter wts than you know you can handle, yet the results are worth it.

Hawk

Smart BBer's take an entire week off even from cardio every 6 or 9 or 12 weeks depending on personal recovery.

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
I must not know any smart ones LOL

Hawk

I have a friend that never takes time off Scott Hoss Cartwright he says rest is for the weak and pussies lol and he is a GREAT PRO POWERLIFTER but bro not everyone is Hoss Strong and have his recovery.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic