Members
Latest Member
SDUBUBLACK
What's New?

Deadlift grip??

pumpitall

pumpitall

Oct 30, 2010
Hey guys just wondering what grip you use when deadlifting, I use a cross grip (left hand over - right hand under) I never change that grip. I'm noticing that my right lat is bigger then my left, is it because I always use the same grip? I tried changing to opposite cross grip but can't lift no where near as much!

What should I do? Maybe just use an over hand grip on both sides?
Or should I start switching up my cross grip with a lighter weight until I can build up strength with my opposite cross grip.

I appreciate any help and feedback

Thank
PIA

D

Danny diamond

Jan 17, 2012
You've pretty much answered your own question there, I'd recommend changing your grip between sets, ie: one set left under right over then your next set left over right under,

remember to drive through with the glutes finishing each lift and to keep your back straight with your hips knees and toes all facing forward, keep the weight the same for each set if you need to lower the weight in order to get your regular grip the same as your opposite, otherwise you won't fix the problem.

So that means if your lifting 100kg with the grip you always use but only 70kg with the reverse grip bring your normal grip down to 70kg as well. Do not comprimise form for strength, it's better to do one rep correctly than 10 incorrectly

Hope this helps

MrJJ

MrJJ

Jan 15, 2012
On my lighter dead lift or shrugs for that matter I always use overhand for as many sets as possible when I do have to have an alternate grip I swap on each set of reps which is over and which is underhand, it's a good practice to get into.

JJ

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Try using a hook grip. It will take time to get accustomed to it though.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
what other back exercises are you doing? and how often are you doing deads?

i use an alternating grip, dominate hand over, less dominate under. it is very common to use an alternating grip. i would think that there are other things at play here other than just dead grip. unless all you are doing for your back is deads. you should be able to keep everything equal by using your other back exercises. start doing db rows on the lagging side. im sure there are other ways to bring up the lagging lat without compromising your deads!

ajdos

Friends Remembered
Sep 8, 2010
Been using double overhand for years, never made much sense to do the alternated grip, there isnt one other exercise you use an freaky alternated grip for, all it took was seeing a buddy from the gym tear a bicep with the arm that was using a supine grip and I was sold permanently on dbl overhand...I guess at the end of the day its about getting into your groove and comfort spot with lifts, but just from my perspective the over/under seemed unnatural to me.

Tiny

Tiny

Dec 12, 2011
I switched to double overhand awhile ago. I also moved my hands in a little bit on the bar. Feels better to me, much more natural.

I do switch between UH and OH grip on BB rows.

ajdos

Friends Remembered
Sep 8, 2010
I switched to double overhand awhile ago. I also moved my hands in a little bit on the bar. Feels better to me, much more natural.

I do switch between UH and OH grip on BB rows.
Same here, changing BOTH hands on the grip, could you imagine trying to row with an alternated grip lol.

Overhand rows are meant to hit more upper back rhomboids and traps, while underhand was a bread and butter movement for Dorian Yates for years for lower lat development, that is until he tore his bicep.

MightyMouse719

MightyMouse719

National Champion & VIP Member
Jul 8, 2011
Double overhand hook grip. It (seems) the distance on the pull is shorter and more efficient for me.

gunslinger

gunslinger

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2010
I only use a double overhand grip for deads.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic