Members
Latest Member
Joannafit

Dead Lift Speed

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
When you're dead lifting, warm ups, working sets, max outs, should your speed be as fast as you can pull without losing your form?

I've been noticing that when I get down to the bar I want to pull it off the floor as fast as I can, but I still try to focus on cues like keeping my back straight, and tightening up.

Is this the right approach, or should I slow it down?

From the guys that I have watched, they pull pretty much fast, and looks like almost as fast as they can.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
In a word.... YES

You should pull 135 as fast as you pull 531+. You never pull the bar slowly.

alpha

alpha

VIP Member
May 1, 2012
Bar speed is the key to having real power in your lifts. Why train your body to lift 315 slowly just because its light? Train your body to explode and transfer real force through the bar no matter what the weight is.

TenaciousA

TenaciousA

TID Lady Member
Mar 31, 2013
What BI said.
Lift heavy weights like they are light and lift light weights like they are heavy.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
In a word.... YES

You should pull 135 as fast as you pull 531+. You never pull the bar slowly.

I pulled 500 kind of slow...should I drop down to 450 and do more reps at the right speed or...?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I pulled 500 kind of slow...should I drop down to 450 and do more reps at the right speed or...?

The bar moving slowly isn't the same as you pulling slowly. Bar speed will decrease as the weight rises... especially when you get closer to max weight.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Ok that makes me feel like I'm on the right track!

Thank you girls and guys for chyming in!

Gonna try to keep the bar speed moving faster.

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
As a bodybuilder, I slow it down for a 6 week period every 30 weeks or so. I try to rehearse and retrain my movement patterns. Not sure how this comes into play as a power lifter but, I have to believe that slowing it down on occasion, just to rehearse the firing order and check your form, should be beneficial in theory.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
As a bodybuilder, I slow it down for a 6 week period every 30 weeks or so. I try to rehearse and retrain my movement patterns. Not sure how this comes into play as a power lifter but, I have to believe that slowing it down on occasion, just to rehearse the firing order and check your form, should be beneficial in theory.

Actually, if you train your body to move slow you'll have a hard time getting it to fire fast when you need to it. Slow isn't the way to go with PLing or Oly lifting.

Gotta build those neural pathways and get your body to fire those muscles as fast as possible to generate the most force output... remember, force = mass x acceleration.

Want2lift

Want2lift

Jun 12, 2012
I disagree with the above. Warm up your body doing something other then dead lifts. Skipping, box jumps, the defranco agile 8. When you go to dead lift, each rep, including the lighter weight build up sets, should be performed as explosively as possible. Your trying to train your body to be explosive, to recruit as many muscle fibers as possible all at once. Your body should be warm and ready to go before you put your hands on the bar.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3B-3Khbht5s

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic