jacobss
What's New?

Day Trading or Long term?

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
Thanks JR that helps a ton!

I like the idea of meeting up with different advisors.

Thanks a lot man.

Ctj, can you pm me your YouTube channel?

Any time Bro!

I think you also said in another thread that you were between jobs right now? You can roll old 401ks from old employers into an IRA at a firm as well. You'd have a better selection of investments to put the $ in - literally thousands of investment choices rather than just the 1 or 2 dozen employers' 401k plans typically have.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Yea no job right now. I have a thread going that is titled "working from home" just click my user name and click on latest started threads and you will see it.

2ez

VIP Member
Feb 25, 2012
I do/have done....scalp, day, swing, invest

series 7, 63, 24, 55 here.

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
I do/have done....scalp, day, swing, invest

series 7, 63, 24, 55 here.

The hardest exam of all for me was the 66 with all its legalese - I studied my ass off and made an 80. My state life and health insurance exam was no joke either - that material is dry as hell and hard to stay motivated to study.

The 7 and other largely quantitative exams were pretty easy for me.

2ez

VIP Member
Feb 25, 2012
The hardest exam of all for me was the 66 with all its legalese - I studied my ass off and made an 80. My state life and health insurance exam was no joke either - that material is dry as hell and hard to stay motivated to study.

The 7 and other largely quantitative exams were pretty easy for me.

I didn't think the 7 was a quant exam. its general securities and no more than the 66 when I checked the study material. my job told us you fail, your fired. fresh out of college, 2wks to study. I felt and heard my heart beating when the results were calculated at the end. I opted to prepare for the CFA....only completed the first exam. IMO.....the CFA is a monster which I believe no NASD/Finra exam can compare to. the 7 seems more memorization....CFA you have to interpret, analyze and apply.

any of you young cats looking to get your CFA......you can make a darn good living with it. assuming your other ducks are in order. my motivating factor was that I got my mentors monthly pay check by accident. we got paid monthly. his gross was $62,500 for the month. this was $750k salary not incl bonus. and he wasn't a partner. he was 2-3yrs out of Wharton....so yea...I prepared from the CFA. lolololol

Last edited:
JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
The 6 was only 2 hours. The 7 was 6 hours.

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
Dude, the Series 66 is a legal securities exam. Legalese. Lots of words. Not really quantitative - and I use the word "quantitative" in the general sense - pertaining to numbers, quantities, etc.

The Series 6 is a general securities exam.

The Series 7 is also basically a general securities exam, but is much longer and much broader AND more detailed. Very quantitative in that there is a good bit on things like options, which is a highly quantitative subject to master (again in the general sense of the word).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantitative

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/quantitative

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
And the 66 was also fairly short - like 2 hours IIRC.

2ez

VIP Member
Feb 25, 2012
gotcha my friend. I didn't understand your series 6 and the 2hr time, when we were talking the other exams.

from what my old azz can recall, the questions on stock options were identify a strategy, intrinsic value, out of money, breakeven. maybe a handful of calcs, but nothing more than a couple of steps. Remember we had different exams as in no two exams are the same. maybe I received the less quant questions.

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
Well just comparing the 7 to the 66, they are totally different.

The 6 and 7 are basically similar in that they cover much of the same material, but again the 7 is much more detailed and broader in scope as well. I took both in the past. The 7 has stocks, options, etc. I remember on the 7 there were many questions where you had spreads, straddles, etc that had to be calculated, etc.

The 66 is basically combining the 63 and 65, and allows one to be a registered "Investment Advisor", charge a management fee, do managed / "wrap" accounts, etc. In fact, an investor who is not giving their $ to a hedge fund who likes to trade more frequently and who has at least 6 figures to invest would be better served with a "managed account" at an institution than a traditional "transactional" account that charges a fee for every trade. This would probably even be better than a discount brokerage account for the bigger money client who is either not quite accredited or not going to an unregistered hedge fund, because the client would only be charged a flat management fee (usually 1% at the big firms) for the ability to make unlimited buys and sells of stocks, mutual funds (institutional share classes), bonds, etc without getting hit with transactional fees left and right, and they would also get the benefit of having an advisor to guide them, share research info from the firm, etc.

This type of account does not work so well for the smaller investor / trader with 5 figures or less though because of the way the fees are structured. Smaller investors with 5 figures who are willing to take on at least a little short term risk and who will not need the $ anytime soon should probably consider investing that $ in something such as C-share mutual funds, which I think can still be sold after a year without a penalty. They also charge typically around 1% per year generally, but their advantage over the more traditional "A-share" is that you don't have to pony up a hefty 5%+ upfront fee - so you are investing more $ right away with a C-share, and you can also sell all or some of the shares off in a year or 2 or 3 without having wasted that $ on an upfront fee on something you eventually chose to scale out of.

The smaller investor can also purchase stocks, but one thing I've learned is that most people (not everybody, of course) don't pick stocks or other investments very well. The average person doesn't have the time or aptitude, even though some may have the desire and passion for it. It often comes down to the emotions - fear, greed, ego. They buy what they "like", or what their drinking buddy or barber tells them to buy. They don't diversify - they buy one or 2 stocks they "like", or load up on company stock in their 401ks or whatever - and therefore subject themselves to a huge amount of risk. Nobody would have thought 10 years ago that General Motors (or Merrill Lynch, Bear Stearns, Lehman, etc) would have gone bankrupt, and their stock and bonds would be worthless. But it does happen. Of course such concentration CAN make one wealthy, but the risk is far greater.

To me, the average person who is unsophisticated / unaccredited (and even many more sophisticated investors who want to minimize risk) who is willing to take on at least a little risk (but minimize that risk!) and is not needing to liquidate their $ any time soon would be much better off spreading out their $ among several investments like these rather than try to pick their own stocks:

http://quotes.morningstar.com/fund/f?t=BRUFX&region=USA

http://quotes.morningstar.com/fund/f?t=YAFFX&region=USA

http://quotes.morningstar.com/fund/f?t=SGIIX&region=USA

http://quotes.morningstar.com/fund/f?t=OSFDX&region=USA

http://quotes.morningstar.com/fund/f?t=PRPFX&region=USA

http://quotes.morningstar.com/fund/f?t=TGBAX&region=USA

http://quotes.morningstar.com/fund/f?t=MALOX&region=USA

http://quotes.morningstar.com/fund/f?t=FPACX&region=USA

Most of these funds have averaged at least low double figures over time, and have done far, far better than the market. They've also exposed their investors to far less risk than the overall markets. While the Dow, S&P, etc were down 37-38% in '08, these funds were down FAR less, and one or two even made a little $ in '08. These funds are also mostly unrestrained (with the exception of the bond fund, which does not invest in equities) in that they can allocate $ however they choose (stocks, bonds, cash, alternatives, commodities, etc) and invest anywhere and everywhere. I have much of my retirement account $ in most of those funds and a few others, while I have separate larger accounts I invest my other $ and client $ in where I invest in individual securities myself. But I'd recommend any novice investor (and even most typical experienced investors) put their $ in those funds before they'd "trade" or otherwize haphazardly invest any of their $ based upon their (or their friends' or relatives') limited knowledge and experience.

There are other funds that are even more aggressive and tend to do even better than most of these in bull markets, but they also tend to do worse in bear markets.

EDIT: I do agree with a point you made previously about options not being for the novice investor. If an investor doesn't understand them, or doesn't have at least a million dollars (or both), they probably don't need to have any of their $ in options.

Last edited:

2ez

VIP Member
Feb 25, 2012
Please understand no disrespect ever intended and thanks for keeping it civil. my old azz just doesn't have the energy to bicker, nor do I want to rub another the wrong way. Life is to short for this. You are more involved with the investment advisory than I. I purposely stayed away, because people are not the nicest when it comes to their life savings you are managing. I only want to handle the behind the scene stuff, that the advisors would present to their clients.

Yes we all learned a little about everything...and for a minute I was all caught up in that life....but luckily I snapped out of it.

By January 2015 I need to find a place to park my licenses or else they will be lost and I will have to retake. any suggestions appreciated. I did get an offer from one company in NY but I would have to commit to a part time position and come into the office at least 2 days per week.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic