Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Damn hips!

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
I have been fighting leg/hip issues now for months. I had an IT Band issue and that resolved. Then severe tightness in my vastus medialis (tear drop) but I always had tenderness in my hip/glute area. I used to have pain after a 30 min ride in the car but that just got better. Had a cortisone shot, stretch 6x/wk, foam roll it, done the voodoo bands and even begged the wife for a deep tissue massage.

Here's what sucks! I'm squatting bench weight now and it's a pride hit. I don't train with anyone so no one sees the fall I took but it's hard to swallow when it's this bad. Maybe this is the new norm when we get older?

Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole

Jul 31, 2023
Not really uh….maybe, well….kinda sorta.

I’ve had a couple of injuries which is bad enough but when ya finally find out that the older ya get, the harder it is to heal up is when one finds a good place to store one’s ego before lifting any substantial weight.
To be truthful, 6 days a week I’m shooting for hypertrophy so I really do not need a lot of weight but one day a week when I go for full body is when I lift a lot heavier and have to watch the ego meter.

I have a friend who is an octogenarian weight lifter and he just lifts now to stay in the game albeit now and then he’ll do an ego squat or dead lift just to prove to himself that he can do it but always with a spotter or two.

The way he explains it, he would rather lift lighter (350-400 lbs) as a general run to avoid any kind of injuries no matter how small, because at his age, an injury will stay with him for the rest of his life.

Thrawn

Thrawn

MuscleHead
Jun 12, 2023
I have gum set up at home and have a squat rack I can't use anymore because my hips, I feel your frustration.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
I have an apt. with an Ortho Sports Dr tomorrow. I want some answers to something I can't figure out on my own. Probably wont get them from an Dr. as much as the help I will get from a PT.

IF I do the PT, it's going to be 2 visits. I have all the equipment to do any kind of movements and I don't need someone to stretch me out. Damn co-pay is $40! Show me what I don't know and wish me luck.

Thrawn

Thrawn

MuscleHead
Jun 12, 2023
I have an apt. with an Ortho Sports Dr tomorrow. I want some answers to something I can't figure out on my own. Probably wont get them from an Dr. as much as the help I will get from a PT.

IF I do the PT, it's going to be 2 visits. I have all the equipment to do any kind of movements and I don't need someone to stretch me out. Damn co-pay is $40! Show me what I don't know and wish me luck.
Only thing PT was good for me was traction on my hips. Everything else could be done at home.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
Only thing PT was good for me was traction on my hips. Everything else could be done at home.
Honestly, I have a good Chiropractor but he's a 45 min drive one way. He's family so maybe I get special attention but damn, he works me over. It was somewhat painful but felt young again, for about an hr or so.

Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole

Jul 31, 2023
Honestly, I have a good Chiropractor but he's a 45 min drive one way. He's family so maybe I get special attention but damn, he works me over. It was somewhat painful but felt young again, for about an hr or so.
Yeah, I go to the chiro a couple times a month just to keep things aligned correctly and maybe do some repair jobs if they pop up.
My insurance covers it so I just figure that as long as they’re happy with it, I’m happy to go.

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
Hey TOS, sorry to hear all this.
Regarding hips/knees, you know how things go and just because those are acting up doesn't mean these are the root cause. Have you looked down the leg further at feet/shoes? Lots of times the foot/shoes will reveal issues further up the leg and including lower back. Just wanted to give the full picture here.
For instance, my ankles have been really, really tight, causing my form to suffer on squats and thusly tightening up other things and my knee aches. What a mess lol. But have been working on stretching and movements and have improved.

Good luck at the doc and also PT. Yea PT knows more than doc when it comes to this stuff.

Thrawn

Thrawn

MuscleHead
Jun 12, 2023
Hey TOS, sorry to hear all this.
Regarding hips/knees, you know how things go and just because those are acting up doesn't mean these are the root cause. Have you looked down the leg further at feet/shoes? Lots of times the foot/shoes will reveal issues further up the leg and including lower back. Just wanted to give the full picture here.
For instance, my ankles have been really, really tight, causing my form to suffer on squats and thusly tightening up other things and my knee aches. What a mess lol. But have been working on stretching and movements and have improved.

Good luck at the doc and also PT. Yea PT knows more than doc when it comes to this stuff.
Good points, I'll add one that's often overlooked by doctors, labral tears. Mostly seen but not always in trauma or impact. Signs and symptoms groin pain, hip pain, popping, clicking, grinding, constantly uncomfortable or dull pain, possible stability issues. Temporary respite with pressure or traction. Surgery only way to fix.

The other Snake

The other Snake

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2016
I have been using an inversion table for a few years now 5 days a week. I can only handle a few min. hanging upside down.

jipped genes

jipped genes

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2022
Bro I feel your pain. I got 2 cortisone shots a year in the hips and a few in the sacrum, super tight IT, glutes and hams. This is pure anecdote, you may have a mechanical injury or bone spur or such. I did PT for a while years ago and started feeling better, of course I stopped and it got worse. Went back to PT and started feeling better again and they said you have to keep doing it, forever! I have a fusion of L5/S1 and horizontally fractured my sacrum training many moons ago and have SI probs but even those are minimal now.

I get up and spend 10 minutes every morning doing stretches and exercises for my hips, glutes, legs lower back and core. (Especially IT bands which are so tight they feel like bone. My pain level is now 70% -80% lower after years of doing my routine. Just look online I use youtube. I found some of the stuff the PT recommended did nothing so I ditched it. I found some on youtube that were awesome and still do those. Look online and pick 2 you like. Try them for 2-3 weeks. If you feel 10% better, keep them and add two more and so one. Drop ones you do not "feel" and you will have a nice regimen that may just help you a lot like me.

I have not had cortisone shot in 8-10 years, it is 100% due to work I am telling you about. It's free other than time and it may just improve your quality of life bro.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic