Threads
Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh
PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
The easiest advice I can give to someone who is considering cutting weight to compete in a lower weight class is simply this:

Don’t

Here at Strength First, we don’t typically provide nutrition plans because frankly there are people that are much better at it then I. I won’t pretend to be an expert in a subject and when that knowledge is needed I have the network to back me up. My ego will never cause my clients to fall short.

But what I will do in the case of an athlete approaching a meet is keep a close eye on their weight. If large fluctuations are occurring or they are greater than 10 pounds over competition weight I will start asking for a log of their meals and all snacks. From there we will simply cut calories. That 10 pound threshold is what I have found to be manageable within days of the meet.

I will never in any case ever recommend or condone the use of drugs for cutting water. I have no problem working with clients who use performance enhancing drugs as I believe it is a personal choice. However, I draw the line at the inclusion of drugs such as Lasix. The possibility for something to go wrong and have serious negative health consequences is simply too much to risk in my opinion. If you require drugs to cut weight so rapidly then you should live with the consequences of your failure to control your diet and compete in the higher weight class than you desired.

You prepare to compete by training your lifts. You should be prepared come weigh-in as well.

It is highly recommended that if a 24 hour weigh-in is offered you take advantage. This can be the difference between attempting to compete slightly dehydrated and cramping up versus completing your lifts without doing the strained hammy dance. So in the case of a 24 hour weigh in here is what I recommend to a client who is within 10 pounds of their weight class:

7 days out – salt your food, bring water intake to 1 gallon per day minimum 1.5 gallons maximum.
4 days out – decrease salt intake, keep water intake at 1 gallon per day minimum.
3 days out – Eliminate salt in food, continue drinking 1 gallon of water minimum
2 days out (day before weigh in) – Continue no salt added foods, hydrate upon waking, as of noon small sips of water throughout the day. Drop carbohydrate intake to 50g per day. Prior to bed, 2 cups of black tea with no sugar or dairy. Up to 4 cups if not stimulant sensitive. Avoid disrupting sleep.
1 day out (day of weigh-in) – Upon waking begin consuming black tea, double bagged. Drink throughout the day until one hour prior to weigh in. No food at this time.

Throughout the night and day you will urinate a significant amount. I have lost 12 pounds using this exact method. Once you weigh in you will begin the process of rehydrating. To rehydrate yourself adequately:

Fill a gallon jug with a 50/50 mixture of pedialyte and water and consume this through the day. You should finish this off within a few hours. Once consumed, just begin drinking water. You should immediately begin eating as well. Be sure to eat a minimum of 60% carbohydrate, however I tend to go well above the 60%.

If there is no 24 hour weigh-in, may God save your soul!

Seriously though if you have to weigh in the morning of the meet, then I recommend you stay within 4 to 6 pounds of your desired weight. In this case the dehydration process is a bit simpler:

7 days out – salt all foods, consume 1 gallon of water per day
3 days out – eliminate salt, continue 1 gallon of water per day, decrease carbohydrate intake to 100g per day
Night before weigh in – consume 2 cups black tea prior to bed
Day of weigh in – begin consuming black tea and try to eat two small meals with 40% carbohydrate and some fruit by weigh in time.

Immediately after weigh in begin drinking the 50/50 mix of pedialyte and water and start pushing carbohydrates down your throat.

In closing I would also add one other DO NOT to this brief article. Do not take a laxative! There is a huge difference in performance when you expel water through urine versus expelling the entire contents of your bowels. Ever had a bout of diarrhea before? How did you feel energy wise after? Taking a laxative prior to a powerlifting meet or any other event requiring your best performance is bad practice.

I'm curious to hear from some of the bodybuilders on here... Nobody knows how to drop water like a bodybuilder. I do question the effect it may have on performance though. I suppose however, if you rehydrate prior the meet things should work out just fine. So give us some insight from the BB world Mike_RN tommyguns2

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
I wanna try this out for a meet just to experiment. Would be dope to weigh 275 and balloon back to my normal weight!

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I wanna try this out for a meet just to experiment. Would be dope to weigh 275 and balloon back to my normal weight!
Well give it a try sometime leading up to a ME deadlift day. You will get an idea of how well it works for you and see that it won't effect your performance.

Joliver

Joliver

MuscleHead
Jan 19, 2014
I think laxatives have a place in cutting weight. A large man can have close to 30 foot of intestine that are holding waste at one stage or another. It isn't a terrible idea to remove that. A single dose of a hyperosmotic laxative can drop as much as 4-6 lbs in a few hours with little to no decrease in performance.

It isn't a beginner technique because altering your level of hydration requires a deep knowledge of how to balance your own electrolytes. Anyone dropping water without knowing how to pick it back up doesn't need to cut weight.

I don't really give out the cutting advice I used to after one stupid lifter salt poisoned himself. But it can be done.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
This is really cool POB!!! I guess I'm about to find out since I'm in process and now 7 weeks out from my contest.

As far a strength...my performance is steadily dropping with my weight.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I think laxatives have a place in cutting weight. A large man can have close to 30 foot of intestine that are holding waste at one stage or another. It isn't a terrible idea to remove that. A single dose of a hyperosmotic laxative can drop as much as 4-6 lbs in a few hours with little to no decrease in performance.

It isn't a beginner technique because altering your level of hydration requires a deep knowledge of how to balance your own electrolytes. Anyone dropping water without knowing how to pick it back up doesn't need to cut weight.

I don't really give out the cutting advice I used to after one stupid lifter salt poisoned himself. But it can be done.

Yeah that's why I'm not keen on drugs to make weight.

What's the most you've dropped for a weigh in and what were you able to put back on? You and I have talked about this somewhat extensively in the past. I think you have some good knowledge on this subject. Mine isn't as extensive because like I said I try to just stay within 10lbs of making weight. I'm just a proponent of competing at training weight. Doesn't necessarily make me right. Just a preference is all.

Joliver

Joliver

MuscleHead
Jan 19, 2014
Yeah that's why I'm not keen on drugs to make weight.

What's the most you've dropped for a weigh in and what were you able to put back on? You and I have talked about this somewhat extensively in the past. I think you have some good knowledge on this subject. Mine isn't as extensive because like I said I try to just stay within 10lbs of making weight. I'm just a proponent of competing at training weight. Doesn't necessarily make me right. Just a preference is all.

I believe in competing at training weight as well. It's all about finding a few hours before the meet that allows you to do that--in a class that doesn't reflect what you really weigh.

Everyone is likely to ask the weight cutting question. I suppose the answer to that question is "how much sense does it make?" If you have a new 215 guy @26% body fat that is likely to bench 255, the answer is "lift in the class you weigh in at." Cutting massive amounts of weight is for guys that have maximized their training and are looking for any possible edge that may be out there.

I've never successfully competed when I've lost more than 24lbs. It's important to remember that if you can't put it back on, don't take it off. I also tell people that he sure it's all water. Don't cut calories and get smaller and have "a different body" to squat/bench/deadlift in...makes no sense. And if you are a suited guy, heaven help you if you can't put the weight back on. You'll just be getting crushed in weird clothes.

Without going into serious details, you can safely use thiazides. The reason I recommend them is because they are essentially the first step in blood pressure control. Just keep taking them. You'll drop the water....and survive your meet "supplementation." If you aren't in need of BP control, don't take them.

The laxative I would recommend is good for colon health as well. So good can be found in both of these recommendations.

Unfortunately, the "more is better" mentality exists. "I lost 6 lbs when I drank this salt water....maybe I can lose 12 if I..." And salt poisoning for the genius. Salt poisoning is no joke. It can Kill. It used to be the preferred method of suicide in some cultures. It doesn't take a lot. Plus, there are many different types of laxatives. Each work differently.

So how much weight can you cut? Start with how much you can lose by fasting in a day (4-6lbs) and work your way up from there. There are guys that can easily do it....some guys suffer. Results aren't guaranteed.

Most of the upper echelon guys cut under the supervision of medical professionals and a nutritionist.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I've seen guys do a water drop using lasix and other script diuretics and after they step off the scale they get an iv bag put in by the gf or friend who happens to be a nurse. I think aldactone is a better choice then lasix b/c it's milder. I think someone can cut 5% of their bodyweight safely and then put it back on during the 24hours. Remember though many will get the shits when they drop so be prepared. Also remember cramping can and a lot of times does happen. Do a couple trial runs before you ever try to do something at a meet.

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
Couple of things to add/subtract. Performance is not as much of an issue for us (BBers) so my methods of pulling water might hurt a PLer's meet...bad! In the case of the night before/24hr weigh-ins, we are all able to do some damage control/repairs before hitting the stage or platform. In no specific order:

Diuretics: Can be used quite effectively with little impact on posing/muscle contraction. That said, my $0.02:

Aldactone is a no-no. It works as an anti-androgen and is counterproductive as a mild diuretic even for women especially when aggression/hardness is crucial. Topical Aldactone/Spironolactone is actually used for hair loss because of its anti-androgenic effects.
Lasix is too strong for this type of application. It is a potassium excreting drug and can cause cramping at best and cardiac arrhythmias at worst.

Therefore I'd recommend Diazide for both of our "sports" requirements. Diazide is combo of Triamterene & HCTZ so it is both sparing and excreting potassium. This helps keep a balance and when used sparingly does a great job with no electrolyte issues. Diazide does not interfere with DHT the way Aldactone does.

Pedialyte is a godsend to all athletes and is a staple on show day. Unlike the PLer we still gotta stay "dry" for the day and night after weigh-ins. So for our application, the half water half Pedialyte jug is out. Instead I will have my people (or me) taking small sips throughout the day. Food is consumed dry with just enough water to swish and swallow after eating.

Laxatives aren't gonna do much since the last few weeks are so ****ing clean (diet wise) you ain't holding anything to shit out :)

For pulling water show/meet week: PoB's outline is very close to mine.

7 days out - Salt your food, water intake would already be at least 1 gallon per day for weeks prior.
4 days out - Decrease salt intake, keep water intake at 1 gallon per day minimum.
3 days out - Eliminate salt in food, continue drinking 1 gallon of water minimum.
2 days out - Half your water
1 day out - 1/4 your water stop drinking at 6pm (begin Diazide taper if needed)

Tricks for cramping: Old school trick 1 packet of yellow mustard (easier than tryna swallow vinegar). Or small sips of Pedialyte and Liquid Aminos (lean beef work well).

Joliver

Joliver

MuscleHead
Jan 19, 2014
I have rarely taken lasix. If I use a thiazide, it's usually hydrochlorothiazide. But before I get there, I will take indapamide to reduce my sodium retention. I usually drop the water as a consequence.

alpha

alpha

VIP Member
May 1, 2012
I've found that 1 gallon/day loading phase is no where near enough for me. I've cut upwards of 22 pounds in 24 hours before with no noticeable strength loss using this method below.
5-7 days out minimum of 3 gallons a day salting as much as possible, even soy sauce by the tbsp.
2 days out - cut down to 2 gallons a day
36 hours before weigh ins - cut water intake in half
24 hours before weigh ins - completely cut out all water until after weigh ins.

Depending on how much weight I need to cut, I'll allow myself a few hours of sauna time just in case. If i'm traveling for competition and cannot find a sauna I will just use a hot epsom salt bath the night before weigh ins and sometimes even the morning of. With just water loading, i've cut 14 pounds without any sauna time using this method.

I've honeslty found most diuretics to be a waste of time and not necessary if you properly water load and flush. Magnesium citrate is the easiest to come by if you want to try one and its very effective. A lot of competitors I train with use diazide and have good results with it. I'm just not looking to mess my pants up trying to move a ton of weight

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic