Latest Member
severedthumbz
What's New?

Customs reveals steroid abuse is skyrocketing

Hanniballickedher

Hanniballickedher

MuscleHead
Dec 12, 2010
STEROID abuse by everyday gym users is skyrocketing with thousands of people caught trying to import the drugs each year.

The amount of steroids being smuggled into the country at airports and through the postal system has more than doubled in the past five years, according to Customs figures, reported The Daily Telegraph.

Customs made 2695 seizures of steroids and growth hormones in the year to July 2010, a 155 per cent increase on the 1054 seizures made in 2004-05.

An explosion of websites selling the drugs with claims of "discrete (sic) shipping" and "no customs" is behind the rise as amateur body builders seek to exploit countries with lax drug regulations.

"The majority of performance-enhancing drugs are detected at the international mail gateways and are generally from internet sites located in overseas jurisdictions which do not exercise the same controls as Australia," a Customs spokesperson said.

Most of the drugs seized are being imported from the US, Thailand, Hong Kong, Bulgaria, China and the UK, Customs said.

The revelation comes after the death of 22-year-old Australian bodybuilder and online celebrity Aziz "Zyzz" Sergeyevich Shavershian, who died of an undiagnosed heart defect in a Thai sauna last week.

His brother Said, 25, was found in possession of an anabolic steroid during a police raid last month. The Fitness First personal trainer pleaded guilty and was fined $479.

Zyzz denied using steroids despite talking about riding "bicycles" - gym slang for using a cycle of steroids - on Facebook.

St Vincent's Hospital hormone expert Katherine Samaras said a dangerous culture had formed in the past decade in which more and more young men felt the need to have the perfect body.

"Many men don't have that body and feel quite pressured to use anabolic steroids to achieve that look which is just not possible without them," Ms Samaras said.

Men are doing irreversible damage to their bodies by using steroids, with some even injecting veterinary steroids and fertility drugs to increase their testosterone levels, she said.

"A lot of men are also using saunas and diuretics to lose weight ," she said. "This can lead to blood mineral disorders which can lead to fatal heart arrhythmia."She said websites promoting steroid use were preying on the insecurities of young men.

Read more: Customs reveals steroid abuse is skyrocketing | News.com.au

babybull34

babybull34

Jul 11, 2011
Let the media frenzy begin.... It is said he passed, no doubt, especially at 22, however his death will really be tragic if it is used as a catalyst for a bunch of soap box standing, agenda totting, talking heads to add fuel to a fire that never should have been lit. RIP Zyzz.

Cut_Throat

Cut_Throat

Aug 11, 2011
Interesting read; thanks for posting this up. I had thought as much as the number of people that I know personally, as well as the number of guys that I can see also using in the gym have seemed to escalate over the last few years. Anyone can hop on the web these days and with a little work find a source in a matter of minutes.

Not the way it used to be and because of this I believe we are going to see abuse continue to escalate, especially with the younger crowd. As unfortunate as the death of this kid is I am sure it will only be the first of many which they will attribute to steroid use simply because the kid happened to be on them; only spells media disaster.

A good reminder as well to get your shit checked regularly; if you have serious heart issues/defects it probably is not in your best interest to use AS.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
Well the article was taken from Australia, so the media frenzy will be there.

Get Some

Get Some

MuscleHead
Sep 9, 2010
Well the article was taken from Australia, so the media frenzy will be there.

Exactly, Australia has always been much tougher on importation of steroids than the US. I see people all the time on these boards begging for a domestic australian source, this is exactly why.

My question is... are they just as successful (or more successful) in seizing other controlled substances such as narcotics. If they are not then they need to take a hard look at where the taxpayer's money is going. It's ok though, they are stopping people in good shape from injecting sterile oils into their muscles with new needles while the junkies use dirty needles to plow black tar heroin into their veins....makes sense right?

babybull34

babybull34

Jul 11, 2011
Exactly, Australia has always been much tougher on importation of steroids than the US. I see people all the time on these boards begging for a domestic australian source, this is exactly why.

My question is... are they just as successful (or more successful) in seizing other controlled substances such as narcotics. If they are not then they need to take a hard look at where the taxpayer's money is going. It's ok though, they are stopping people in good shape from injecting sterile oils into their muscles with new needles while the junkies use dirty needles to plow black tar heroin into their veins....makes sense right?

Unfortunately, it doesn't but alas that is the way of things. Mixed up world.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
I believe you need to look at that country, because since it's an island they don't have the number of people we have, nor do they have the ports of incoming traffic like we have here. My guess is they probably have just a handful of locations items can arrive.

My guess is the ones that are caught are the ones that stand out because the shipper didn't package well, and didn't get creative, same goes for here and every other country too.

But with that rant, I agree with you GS, My question is why do country's waste tax payer dollars on gear when you got junkies and dealers ruining communities and spreading aids and other viruses, but yet they still don't choose to make cleaning up these streets a priority. Makes total sense to me.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
The part I noticed was it of course mentions how dangerous anabolics are without actually naming the hazards of course but the goes on to state saunas and diuretics are harmful but then at least cites the hazard!

It becomes more and more apparent that the only reason you wind up with a media frenzy from these things is because of ignorance!!!!

Growinboy

Growinboy

MuscleHead
Sep 25, 2010
Ignorant article overall... Highly HIGHLY doubtful his death can be directly attributed to roids... More likely other unhealthy practices... And the comment on young men changing their bodies???? Im sure most of us have seen the guy in the gym who hit a cycle and still didnt train or eat worth a shit and he never changed a fucking thing...

W

Wolf

MuscleHead
Dec 25, 2010
Increased frequency of customs finding anabolics does not correlate to an increase in use or abuse, if anything it reflects their ability to find illegal substances.

Get Some

Get Some

MuscleHead
Sep 9, 2010
Increased frequency of customs finding anabolics does not correlate to an increase in use or abuse, if anything it reflects their ability to find illegal substances.

Good point Wolf, that is very true. And it also mentions an undiagnosed heart condition. That could be any number of things. The people who write these articles are idiots.

T

TheLawnJanitor

An explosion of websites selling the drugs with claims of "discrete (sic) shipping" and "no customs" is behind the rise as amateur body builders seek to exploit countries with lax drug regulations.

Yeah as the community has seen an explosion of boards...is it any surprise theres a correlation?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic