Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Crossfit and Bodybuilding

M

MatthewC

MuscleHead
Dec 7, 2011
I actually don't do cross-fit because I've made fun of my buddy so long for doing it. I believe he's a certified trainer....I guess he had to video tape himself?

Not that I'm against the workout, but just the culture seems douchee (no offense). I see kipping and I can't relate. He said I'd be great at it and I was offended. I have to ask; why can't CF's bench worth a damn....I mean seriously. Benching is awesome. I've never heard anyone say "how much can you kip?"

I also see a focus on power OLY lifts (through youtube videos). I thought the mechanic was to catch the bar at the lowest point in the front squat and snatch squat position. Power clean/snatch for high reps is something that I'd call poor form if not using training full range of motion ever. I guess if the goal is high reps, maybe it's safer? I also don't know if the full clean and snatch's are being trained. I don't recall ever going beyond triples unless warming up.

I do respect all those that do it though. I tried a workout (1/2) and it's a new level of exhaustion. You get fit. I'd rather stay chubby, look like I can lift somewhat heavy and actually do it.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Do you know the point of performing a squat clean or snatch? You receive the bar in the squat position b/c you are unable to pull the bar any higher so you wind up pulling yourself under and receiving it in the squat position. If you don't need to squat below parallel to receive the bar why would you do it? The answer... you wouldn't. You "drop" lower and lower as the weight gets heavier and heavier. That allows you to pull yourself under and receive the bar.

Watch many of the top Oly lifters... they begin with a muscle clean and as it gets heavier they perform a power clean and as it gets even heavier they perform a squat clean so they can complete the lift.

Talking about full ROM makes no sense in the context you're trying to use it when speaking about Oly lifts.

M

MatthewC

MuscleHead
Dec 7, 2011
I apologize for using the full ROM when referring to power clean vs squat clean; it was the best way I could explain it. How would you explain it? I understand the point of catching at the lowest point; it's what I think is the most important part of the mechanic of the clean and jerk and snatch.

My point was I don't see it in cross-fit as a focus. I see power clean, than a squat. Even at the Crossfit games (elite cross-fitters); they're dropping cleans because they can't power them up (vast minority, but still). They shouldn't be dropping power cleans, they should be dropping squat cleans. The jerks are worse. Catching at the lowest point is what I was trained; you were catching ass to the grass whether or not you can power clean them. We did work power cleans and hang cleans with lower weights for warm-ups. More rare with snatches (drop snatches with the bar was more common with warmups).

CTJ chime in here; these are my observations on cross-fit (which are limited). I'm guessing fatigue drives the form not being at the lowest point; which is why I think it can be dangerous doing these motions timed and fatigued. Another observation; why do so many hockey players do cross-fit?

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
I don't know, Matt. Can you post videos of advanced or elite crossfitters doing this? If it's a squat clean, you catch it in a squat, usually ass to grass.

M

MatthewC

MuscleHead
Dec 7, 2011
All I did was youtube and just picked some things after minute 7:00 min (had to grab something to eat)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx-iLHmAsGUl

13:20; letty was brutal.

Matt Chan behind Barto looks great. He clean as much as he can front squat. And he drops great on his jerk. Doesn't look like he had a oly back ground. He be the opposite of the point I was making about cross-fit.

Barto muscles his clean, but he is strong. He doesn't drop very well for jerk; then again it's 345 lbs.

23:20 Baily drops power clean; watched 10 elite guys and 2 of them dropped because they can't squat clean worth anything. I think Bailey was on a video on this thread where goes 1-20 dead/bench/clean; he power cleans then squats.

32:00 Lucas Parker great clean and jerk. I think he had a oly background before crossfit (reddit). Doesn't count.

CTJ- Do you have a link to you doing clean and jerks or a snatch? I don't know if you said you were advanced or elite. I'm going to throw a wild guess out there that you can power clean more than you can squat clean. Of the cross-fitters I know (2 men, 2 women) this is the case. Please take this call out with a grain of salt because I don't think I could squat clean a broom handle.

I just watched over 30 minutes of cross-fit; I feel like I need to go 1 rep max something and wear loose clothes.

D

Drobboz

Jul 23, 2014
I do 4 days of lifting and 2 days of cross fit with a coach and dropped from 17% BF to 13.5% BF and all my arms , legs , rump back got bigger , gained muscle , dead lift improved , front squat form is second to none , strict pull ups are easy , before CF I couldn't do 2 , now do 4 sets of 10 , no kip, and my cardio has improved times 10 from two WOD are week , I love lifting and I love cross fit , I don't have to do any frigging run/walk for cardio which is boring as shit , can't knock it

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
I do 4 days of lifting and 2 days of cross fit with a coach and dropped from 17% BF to 13.5% BF and all my arms , legs , rump back got bigger , gained muscle , dead lift improved , front squat form is second to none , strict pull ups are easy , before CF I couldn't do 2 , now do 4 sets of 10 , no kip, and my cardio has improved times 10 from two WOD are week , I love lifting and I love cross fit , I don't have to do any frigging run/walk for cardio which is boring as shit , can't knock it

^Exactly! That's what I'm saying haha

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic