Latest Member
arcticranger
What's New?

Clean and Jerk, do you do it?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Anytime. If you have any questions just let me know since I was an Oly lifter before picking up PLing.

You can also look up Glenn Pendlay for vids on how to perform Cleans. Jon has a great series of vids on the snatch.

Reactions: 50k

Aug 2, 2013
Anytime. If you have any questions just let me know since I was an Oly lifter before picking up PLing.

You can also look up Glenn Pendlay for vids on how to perform Cleans. Jon has a great series of vids on the snatch.

Awesome i really appreciate that bro, I'm lurking a lot of the powerlifting threads because I really enjoy it and have been wanting to throw some new stuff into my workouts.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Awesome i really appreciate that bro, I'm lurking a lot of the powerlifting threads because I really enjoy it and have been wanting to throw some new stuff into my workouts.

The Oly assisting lifts are GREAT in getting you faster. You don't have to perform the classical lifts (Clean & Jerk and Snatch). You can do snatch pulls, snatch high pulls, clean pulls, clean high pulls, and others. The assisting lifts are just as effective and the risk of injury is a lot less. In fact many of the top lifters outside the US perform the assisting lifts and put the classical lifts back in 12 weeks out. They can do that though b/c they've performing thousands of reps of the classical lifts but it does show that the assisting lifts keep them fast so it'll make you fast.

Aug 2, 2013
The Oly assisting lifts are GREAT in getting you faster. You don't have to perform the classical lifts (Clean & Jerk and Snatch). You can do snatch pulls, snatch high pulls, clean pulls, clean high pulls, and others. The assisting lifts are just as effective and the risk of injury is a lot less. In fact many of the top lifters outside the US perform the assisting lifts and put the classical lifts back in 12 weeks out. They can do that though b/c they've performing thousands of reps of the classical lifts but it does show that the assisting lifts keep them fast so it'll make you fast.

Ya I'm definitely gonna start using those to get my speed up, I feel learning those first and supplementing them into my routine will help a lot more when I do decide to try my hand with the classical lifts. I could tell today that my form wasn't too good, I keep catching myself wanting to come off my heels, I haven't had that problem in forever and this was light weight lol.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
In my opinion, clean and press is more effective. If you're not an oly lifter the jerk has little benefit.

You aren't wrong but that's absolutely not true either. The operative word being your , " opinion". The jerk has a ton of functional use for certain sports and emphasis on brachairadialis and bicep brachi . It all depend on the individual

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
You aren't wrong but that's absolutely not true either. The operative word being your , " opinion". The jerk has a ton of functional use for certain sports and emphasis on brachairadialis and bicep brachi . It all depend on the individual

How does it's emphasize that? The emphasis is only in getting under the bar as fast as possible and locking your arms before it begins it's desecent. It does work speed in that fact which means it does have a decent amount of carry over... this coming from someone who has been fortaunte enough to train with many world level athletes in many different sports. To simply the Jerk.... it's about getting the bones in alignment as fast as possible to recieve the load of the bar when you lock yourself in position.

Here's a little tidbit I'd like to throw out there just b/c I can.... wait and see more and more Oly lifters and competitors will be competing utilizing the power jerk and no the split jerk like so many do now. You heard it hear first. Why you ask.... b/c it's more efficient use of energy and when 1kg makes the difference between winning and losing you don't want to waste a bit of energy so you can perform the lift with the maximum amount of weight.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Ya I'm definitely gonna start using those to get my speed up, I feel learning those first and supplementing them into my routine will help a lot more when I do decide to try my hand with the classical lifts. I could tell today that my form wasn't too good, I keep catching myself wanting to come off my heels, I haven't had that problem in forever and this was light weight lol.

If you really want to work speed than perform those Oly assisting lifts off blocks or from the hang. That will emphasize you working on speed to perform the lift b/c you take out the first pull of the lift.

We need an Oly lifting section to be able to discuss all of this.

wesleyinman

wesleyinman

MuscleHead
Jan 9, 2014

I'll chime in here as well.

I think the clean and jerk is "more effective" in the world of trying to get the most weight up the "easiest". I think a clean and press requires an athlete to be much "stronger" overall.

I have a huge huge issue with the jerk for one reason. It is now allowed in the sport of strongman on our axles and logs. To me this is BS. Reason why, is because I got into strongman to be strong, not to be an OLY lifter. Granted, some things carry over..but the truth is, they only did this to get bigger numbers and draw even more attention to it. They also allow squat and deadlift suits now...which I also have a problem with..totally different thread though.

What's next letting Powerlifters wear straps on DL?

I would argue that a push press is much harder and requires more strength, while a jerk is speed and technique combined with lesser strength. (my opinion- feel free to argue it) When I was about 50lbs smaller, I was flexible enough to get under the bar, elbows pointed up, and I could clean and press so much more weight "proportionately", let alone clean and jerk..Hell we can even consider the "double dip technique for comparisons sakes, and truthfully that is nothing more then a modified, but less effective "jerk" also.

Also, the clean and jerk requires a degree of flexibility that some athletes cannot obtain. Me for example, I cannot even get the bar to sit on my upper chest, or shoulders and get my hands underneath it. Then, my biceps prevent me from getting my elbows anywhere near pointed up towards the ceiling.

If I could clean and jerk I would argue that I could effectively add 30-50lbs to my overhead press, without adding a single pound of bodyweight to myself.

But clean and jerk has it's place. Oly lifting..Crossfit. Training in general. Just not Strongman in my opinion. However i do not set the rules for Strongman and it has already been granted, so I have to just shut my mouth and watch weaker people beat me in an OH press event from time to time with a clean and jerk.

Hey OP, what is the reason you are doing clean and jerk? Are you going into Oly lifting, crossfit, or do you just want to work on your explosive strength??

Last edited:
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
In terms of technical difficulty it's MUCH more difficult to "properly" jerk a weight than it is to press it.

Also, if you can get your head through in a push press you can perform a push jerk or a power jerk. You just need the proper coaching. Most try to perform the Oly lifts and to be brutally honest their technique is laughable at best. It woudn't get a sympathy pass at a local meet let alone a national one like the American Open or Nat's.

And as for lack in mobility and flexibility in your shoulders, that's something you can work on and fix with time.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
I use push jerk. Almost ten years and I can't split jerk.

Murica

Murica

Aug 2, 2013

You're going to have to give me examples with those claims. As a musculoskeletal professional and former athlete I'm telling you there is no sport specific movement where a jerk is more beneficial than the press. The press requires significantly more pectoral and upper extremity extensor activation. Letting gravity move your body takes very little skill. There is a common trend among the hundreds high school athletes I have trained from beginner to intermediate to advanced skill level. When told to perform the push press or clean and press they will often push jerk to manipulate the exercise and make it less difficult for them.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic