Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

ChrisLindsay9's Journal - "Lightweight Strong"

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
Well done Chris , like them 260x6 squats especially do you find that you have an optimum rep range .been doing the 5/3/1 training program ,I have hit my 5 rep max and they totally wipe me out strength wise,but the 3 reps or 1 rep range I can usually add another 1 rep .
Thanks Brian, I think my favorite rep range is a triple. I'll feel more comfortable over-reaching on a triple than a double. Like you mention, I feel like I can go for what I think is a challenging double and seem to find a way to get a third rep out of it. For higher-rep sets, my strategy is to always think of the first three reps as an "easy triple", followed by singles of the remaining reps (this works great with 4-rep and 5-rep sets). In fact, I can usually tell when a higher-rep day is going to be tough when I can't do the first three reps like I feel I should.

UncleAl

UncleAl

MuscleHead
Jun 20, 2012
First of all, belated Happy Anniversary to you and your lady. You are one lucky guy.

Secondly, very impressive sessions for all three lifts. Excellent job on the assistance stuff, too.

Finally, God bless you for caring enough to become a Big Brother. You make the world a better place.

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
TUESDAY - 09/02/15: Bench Press
*Week 4/11 of the “Pursuit of 1000 Total” Program (8 Weeks til 2015 APF Fall Open - Michigan)
**Training Maxes for this program: Sq 335 (belt-only); Bn 205; Dl 425

Supplements
Pre-Workout: Monster Enerzy Zero, couple sips of my wife's C4
Intra Workout: MHP 10x BCAAs, MHP 10xBCAAs w/ Energy, Low-Cal Gatorade (32 oz.)

Warm-Up
Band Shoulder Tornados, Band Pull-Aparts, Wall Angels

Bench Press
Bench Press: 165x4, 170x4 x3 sets (83%) *vids*
2-Board (Foam) Close Grip Bench: 165x6 x3 sets (RPE 8) *vid*
JM Press: 70x10 x3 sets (RPE 7-8) *vid*
Pull-Ups (w/ 20# Vest): 8,8,8 (RPE 9)
60lb. Sandbag P/U: 10 reps per shoulder; 2 sets *vid*
DB Shrugs: 85x25 (RPE 9, suppose to be AMRAP, but grip gave out)
DB Bicep Curl Circuit (1 Set): 5 reps of 25s->20s->15s->10s->5s->5s->10s->15s->20s->25s (3 reps at second 25)

Cool-Down
Band Face Pulls, Band Pull-Aparts, Wall Angels, Elbow/Wrist – Rolling

NOTES
A bit of a slogfest, but still happy with how it went. Had a hard time finding that groove, but technique was still pretty solid (with regards to my progess thus far). I think it was because my lower back felt really tight. I know there are some things mentioned in other posts about loosening up that lower back, but for the life of me, I can't remember. I know from past experience (before I joined the Den) that foam rolling lower back doesn't help. I might put some of the Screamin' Hot Toast on my back next time.

[video]https://youtu.be/jqNr8HuH_tE[/video]
[video]https://youtu.be/WksS6X51yZM[/video]

Last edited:
uphillclimb

uphillclimb

VIP Member
Dec 9, 2011
Happy Anniversary guys!

Chris- your bench: Drive back...look at the plane of which the bar goes. It goes up then back (at the end).

Eclipse73

Eclipse73

MuscleHead
Nov 13, 2014
Chris great work!!!!
Bench press looks very good(competi.pauze)-you pressed smoothly
DL -the same as bench ,and AMRAP was cool bro.All veins on your forearms almost exploded :):)

beng30

beng30

Jan 19, 2012
Nothing worse then having a session when your not feeling it, great work to push through. I find i feel better afterwards but geting there's a pain in the ass.

B

Brianlyndon

Jan 12, 2014
Hi Chris know where you are coming from with lower back stiff/pain ,I found sometimes this may help To ease it ,laying on your back pulling Knees to chest and rolling on floor back forward does help a little bit or rolling a small ball into the lumbar and I .t band insertion does help .had slipped disc ,s and my lumbar sometimes is solid .like your idea of the mind solution to get more reps out,like I say 5 reps kill me

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
THURSDAY - 09/03/15: SQUAT
*Week 4/11 of the “Pursuit of 1000 Total” Program (8 Weeks til 2015 APF Fall Open - Michigan)
**Training Maxes for this program: Sq 335 (belt-only); Bn 205; Dl 425; Bn (w/ Pause) 190

Supplements
Pre-Workout: Monster Zero
Intra Workout: MHP 10x BCAA, MHP 10x BCAA with Energy, Low-Cal Gatorade (32 oz.)

Warm-Up
BW Squats, Band Good Mornings, Adductor/Abductor Machines, tons of reps with bar, 65 pounds, 85 pounds

Training
Squat (belt-only): 285x3 x3 sets; 285x6 AMRAP (85%)
BB Hack Squat: 225x8 x3 sets (RPE 8)
BB Hack Squat (w/ Belt): 315x3 (RPE 9)
Glute Bridge: 235x10 x3 sets (RPE 8)
DB (35lb) Split Squats: 8-reps each leg x2 sets (RPE 8-9)
Floor GHR (w/ 10# plate): 10 reps (RPE 9)

Cool-Down
Back Extensions, Bird Dog, Hamstring Rolling, TFL/IT Band Rolling

Notes
I'm going to be in Florida next week, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to post a detailed log or not. But my plan is to do heavy doubles at 90% with minimal accessory work. I have tentative plans to train at the Gorilla Bench Training Center on Sunday (deadlift day). And I might try to connect with one or two other gyms while I'm down there as well. I'll be checking in to see how everyone else is doing.

UncleAl

UncleAl

MuscleHead
Jun 20, 2012
Strong work, Chris. Did you go straight from 85 to 285 squats!!!

Have a safe and fun trip.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
This was a great leg day Chris!!!

Your squats are really going up!

Have a safe trip and check in when you can!

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
Vacation Training

Last week, my wife and I were in Clearwater, Florida celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary. The vacation was fantastic. A lot of fun and funny stories. As it relates to training, my body was feeling pretty beat up (and I was due for a deload). But I wanted to train at one of the powerlifting gyms down in Clearwater and I wasn't going to just do deload work, so I programmed 3-4 sets of doubles at 90% of my training 1RM and I'd keep the assistance work down to a minimum. I thought that if someone wanted to show me something, I'd do that ... and that's about it.

I ended up training at Gorilla Bench Training twice which was an old-time powerlifting gym in a long storage/garage that had no A/C, but a crap ton of strong people, including someone I follow pretty regularly ... Jenn Rotsinger (one of the strongest pound-for-pound raw woman lifters in the country). The owner, Rich Ficca, is a pretty strong guy as well, and his crew (and Jenn) were very welcoming to both my wife and I.

Sunday - Deadlift: 385x2 x4 sets ... these weren't my best pulls, but under the circumstances, they were rewarding ones.
Tuesday - Bench: 180x2 x4 sets ... got some new cues for me to try and incorporate into my bench.

Because Thursday was my last full day of vacation, we decided to get in the squat training earlier in the day so that we could have fun afterwards. The Gorilla crew trained later in the evenings, so I did my squats at a commercial gym in Clearwater. Owned by a former WWF wrestler. The gym was alright, but the squat rack had a moderate slope, and the guard rails were high (which made going below parallel a challenge). But surprisingly, the squats felt pretty good.

Thursday - Squat: 300x2 x3 sets; 315x1 (belt-only).

<><>

2cy01hg.jpg

Deadlifts: The gym was hot, humid, and I was not feeling it. Three hour flight delay the day previous, ugh. And then training at 9am. But, being around a bunch of people training like me, gave me the spirit to move the weight. Heh!
Bench: Again, hot, humid gym ... nutrition/hydration was a little off going into this workout as well.
Squat: A/C, commercial gym, not one of the best racks for me to squat 90% off of, but the weight felt pretty good. Maybe because I was fully in vacation mode at this point and feeling physically and mentally rested? I was a smidge above parallel, because of the high rails, but I would have had no problem hitting depth the way I was feeling that particular day.

Last edited by a moderator:
ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
WriteUp on my vacation training here<><><>

SUNDAY - 09/13/15: DEADLIFT - Deload

*Week 6/11 of the “Pursuit of 1000 Total” Program (5 Weeks til 2015 APF Fall Open - Michigan)
**Training Maxes for this program: Sq 335 (belt-only); Bn 205; Dl 425

Supplements
Pre-Workout: None
Intra Workout: MHP BCAA 10x (1/2 Scoop), MHP BCAA w/ Energy (1/2 Scoop), Gatorade (32 oz.)

Warm-Up
BW Squats, Band Good Mornings, Band Pull-Aparts, Band Shoulder Tornados

Deload Deadlifts

Deadlift: 275x2 x6 sets (65%) *vid*
Deadlift: 300x1 x3 sets (70%) *vid*
Box Squats: 205x3 x3 sets (RPE 6) *vid*
BB Row: 135x6 x3 sets (RPE 6)

HIIT - Sled Push: 2 Plates - 3 sets; 3 minute break in between

Cool-Down
Treadmill Cardio (20 minutes - target heartrate 115-120), Hamstring Rolling, TFL/IT Band Rolling

Notes
My Texas Squat Bar arrived last Friday. I was able to break it in with some accessory box squats on Sunday. Can't wait to use it again on Thursday.

Videos
Wanted to test out my new squat bar, and also thought I should do a bit more posterior chain work as it relates to my squat depth.
Adding in some HIIT cardio to help blast a bit of the vacation fat away. haha

Last edited by a moderator:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic