Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Joannafit

Center Knurl or Not For General Weightlifting?

rumbletumble

rumbletumble

Feb 25, 2012
I'm going to be purchasing a new WL Bar & I don't know if I need a center knurl for squatting, benching, & dead lifting? I'm not into powerlifting just weightlifting at home, what's y'all's opinion? Thanks-rt...

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Helps for front and back squats by if you are looking an all purpose bar for your home gym and the price between the two that you are looking for is a large difference, it shouldn't matter.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
In a word.... YES! You need center knurling on your bar if you plan on squatting. With benching and pulling you don't, but you do when it comes time to squat.

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
Helps for front and back squats by if you are looking an all purpose bar for your home gym and the price between the two that you are looking for is a large difference, it shouldn't matter.

In a word.... YES! You need center knurling on your bar if you plan on squatting. With benching and pulling you don't, but you do when it comes time to squat.

These guys just summed it up for you.

What you need is a general purpose bar.

Last edited:
FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Agree with BI: Center knurl is a must if you're going to be using it for squats.

For deads and bench it doesn't matter.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
I agree with BI - a good Texas bar or something similar is fine for general stuff..... get the center knurling so you can squat with it.

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
for home use then get a good 45 oly bar and be done... I recommend some sort of used sporting goods store or craigslist...

rumbletumble

rumbletumble

Feb 25, 2012
Great feedback brothers, I know what I need now; your help & knowledge are greatly appreciated! rt...

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Knurling is not required for anything . It is said it helps keep bar centered on squats but really you can do that on your own . We have become a society of people looking for shortcuts and easy way . Get what ever had a better price as it really makes no difference at all. You make the differences , never forget that !

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic