Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism

Center Knurl or Not For General Weightlifting?

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
I think kets is simply referring to center knurling... and if thats the case he is right... whens the last time you did a big bench or pulled a heavy dead from the center???? the only time I really "use" the center knurling is to get my grip accurate on close grip... other than that it has no use.

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
I think kets is simply referring to center knurling... and if thats the case he is right... whens the last time you did a big bench or pulled a heavy dead from the center???? the only time I really "use" the center knurling is to get my grip accurate on close grip... other than that it has no use.

Used for squats only IMO, center knurl that is.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011

He stated it keeps the bar centered (referring to squatting) which is not the case. The knurling on the bar keeps the bar on your back. It digs into your back and grips itself to you. Have you ever tried squatting with a bar with shitty knurling? It's damn difficult to keep the bar in it's place on your back. Now, think about how hard it would be if there was no knurling.

He also said it doesn't make a difference.... We all beg to differ b/c we know a quality bar w/ nasty knurling will make the lifter safer since he/she can get it set for squatting better, can grip the bar for pulls better, etc... I mean hell, if we go by his thought process we should just go and buy some 50 dollar bar from Walmart. Who cares if it bends, breaks, etc...

That's not hardcore, that's stupid.

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
He stated it keeps the bar centered (referring to squatting) which is not the case. The knurling on the bar keeps the bar on your back. It digs into your back and grips itself to you. Have you ever tried squatting with a bar with shitty knurling? It's damn difficult to keep the bar in it's place on your back. Now, think about how hard it would be if there was no knurling. He also said it doesn't make a difference.... We all beg to differ b/c we know a quality bar w/ nasty knurling will make the lifter safer since he/she can get it set for squatting better, can grip the bar for pulls better, etc... I mean hell, if we go by his thought process we should just go and buy some 50 dollar bar from Walmart. Who cares if it bends, breaks, etc...That's not hardcore, that's stupid.
I dont diasgree... but the OP didnt question for powerlifting... he said "Center knurl or Not for General Weight Lifting"... I highly doubt someone asking this question will be bending the bar anytime soon ;)

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
He stated it keeps the bar centered (referring to squatting) which is not the case. The knurling on the bar keeps the bar on your back. It digs into your back and grips itself to you. Have you ever tried squatting with a bar with shitty knurling? It's damn difficult to keep the bar in it's place on your back. Now, think about how hard it would be if there was no knurling.

He also said it doesn't make a difference.... We all beg to differ b/c we know a quality bar w/ nasty knurling will make the lifter safer since he/she can get it set for squatting better, can grip the bar for pulls better, etc... I mean hell, if we go by his thought process we should just go and buy some 50 dollar bar from Walmart. Who cares if it bends, breaks, etc...

That's not hardcore, that's stupid.
Our best squat bar is by far the Iron Wolf.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Our best squat bar is by far the Iron Wolf.

Never used one but it'd be interesting squatting with a 65lbs bar. There's one for sale (used) for 500 I saw. I have a Texas Squat Bar and bench with a Texas Bench Bar. Just need to pick up a DL bar.

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
Never used one but it'd be interesting squatting with a 65lbs bar. There's one for sale (used) for 500 I saw. I have a Texas Squat Bar and bench with a Texas Bench Bar. Just need to pick up a DL bar.

Nice, we were founded in 2008 and have accumulated a lot over time.

We just replaced our 2 deadlift platforms this weekend with 2 from Rogue.

We have a shit ton of bars, I use the Texas for meet prep because that's what is going to be used at my next meet.

They used the Wolf at the Arnold so the lifter on our team that lifted prepped with the Wolf.

Texas deadlift and bench bars are awesome and the Jesup bar is a good all purposed bar.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
Man I've been squatting without the center knurling for a while now. Only reason I don't use the ones with the center because those are high speed bearing bars
and when lifters turn them in the racks, they slowly wear down the knurling for snatching. We definitely need a good squat bar with center knurling. Helps for sure.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Man I've been squatting without the center knurling for a while now. Only reason I don't use the ones with the center because those are high speed bearing bars
and when lifters turn them in the racks, they slowly wear down the knurling for snatching. We definitely need a good squat bar with center knurling. Helps for sure.

Just admit it's because they use broomsticks for bars in crossfit....

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
The iron wolf will make you bleed. Wish I could afford one

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Good luck trying to pull a decent deadlift without any knurling on the bar.

Been doing it for 32 years numb nuts . My grip is like a vice . No wraps no nothing the body adjusts

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic