Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Cardio/ training in the heat

Ogre717

Ogre717

TID Official Lab Rat
Jul 22, 2011
Do you burn more calories training or doing cardio in excessively hot conditions like 100+ degrees farenheit than you would under much more comfortable tempretures?

Where I am currently living/working the tempreture gets well over 100 degrees daily (140 is the worst so far). I am really trying to lean out as much as I can while slightly increasing or at least maintaining the muscle mass that I have. I see so many runners here that are LEAN. I know that your body burns calories trying to maintain its core temp, but how much more would you burn if you were doing the same amount of work just in the hotter enviroment? Obviously Im not going to go for a run when it is 140 out, but if when its say only 100, would it really be worth it?

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
I thought it was the other way around, train in the cold so your body burns more calories trying to stay warm.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I'm pretty sure LK is right. I don't think you can cause thermogenic fat burning by being in a hot area. You'll just lose water weight.

Ogre717

Ogre717

TID Official Lab Rat
Jul 22, 2011
so it doesnt work both ways? i thought that was the whole argument behind the idea of a sauna. sure you loose waterweight through sweating. but doesnt your body have to work extra hard to sweat and try to keep your body cool?

Project

Project

Jun 22, 2011
i would have to think that while being in a hot environment may not burn as many calories as being in a cold one that the energy expenditure would have to be greater than that of a controlled environment

Ogre717

Ogre717

TID Official Lab Rat
Jul 22, 2011
so the benefits most likely do not out weigh the cost, or risks associated. thanks guys

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
Are we talking about running at the same % of your MHR in the heat? If so you will burn the same amount of calories in the heat as a normal temp.

As for the other way around the only way you burn more in cold weather is if you're shivering, otherwise that same cal expenditure that makes you sweat in the heat is enough to keep you warm in the cold (hence you aren't shivering). In some cases their is a very slight increase in cals burned from rewarming of the lungs etc. but it is going to be slight and I'd theorize less prominent in those whose abilities to regulate temp are efficient (such as athletes).

C

cawiau

Aug 7, 2011
I would have to agree, it is no different then people coming to the gym with 2 shirts and sweats to do cardio.
All they are doing is losing water weight, no actual extra fat.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I would have to agree, it is no different then people coming to the gym with 2 shirts and sweats to do cardio.
All they are doing is losing water weight, no actual extra fat.

Don't forget they are also stinking up the joint and sliming up all the equipment... I hate those people >:-(

W

Wolf

MuscleHead
Dec 25, 2010
It would be detrimental to your conditioning actually.

Ogre717

Ogre717

TID Official Lab Rat
Jul 22, 2011
Thanks for the input. I do enjoy the half assed air conditioning in the gym over satans hairdryer.

B

bigrecon

May 5, 2013
I've always like to do cardio in the heat, but I think it's more of a mental game than anything...

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic