Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
angelarbatt
What's New?

Cardio on an empty stomach (what it really means)

S

simonjpa

Sep 10, 2010
A lot of people are confused about this topic, and rightly so. While the idea behind fasted cardio is quite reasonable, like everything in bodybuilding it's been bastardized and taken to extremes.

What cardio on an empty stomach really means is "Cardio done while insulin and blood-suger levels are low". The science behind this is spot on, as insulin blunts fat burning, and the body will burn glucose in the bloodstream if it's present.

Somehow, this got turned into "Don't eat anything 8 hours prior to cardio". All you really need to do is not eat anything(especially with carbs) an hour or two before cardio. That gives time for insulin levels to return to normal, and blood glucose levels return to normal.

As for cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.....well, lets do a little math. Most bodybuilders take some form of casein protein before bed(if you don't, I suggest you start) Whether it's in the form of powder, milk, of cottage cheese doesn't really matter, as long as you get a decent amount.

"In contrast the casein condition displayed a slow increase in aa concentrations which remained elevated above baseline after 300 minutes."

For those of you that still count on your fingers, 300 minutes is 5 hours. That means that your body is still in an anabolic state 5 hours after you go to sleep. Now, if you're like the average person who gets 8 hours of sleep a night, that means by the time you wake up to do cardio, you've been without food for, at the most, 3 hours Dear god, your muscles must be wasting away to nothing. Lets look at a best case scenario. We've all heard that casein can take up to 7 hours to digest, so what if you only get 6 hours of sleep? That would mean you'd wake up with food still in your stomach........read that last part again......I'll wait..........

If that isn't enough for you to sleep at night, then do yourself a favor and buy some BCAA's, or take half a scoop of protein with water 1/2 an hour before cardio in the morning. If you do your cardio in the afternoon, don't eat anything with carbs 2 hours before hand.

Rampage

Rampage

MuscleHead
Oct 26, 2011
very nice post, you answered my questions without me even having to ask!

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
Cardio 1st thing in the am is best for fat burning and weight loss. Also prior to bed is another good time. Both times will give you the best benefit.

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010
best time for carido is after u eat 2 woppers and a milk shake...dw

Physique Photos

Physique Photos

Apr 2, 2012
I find it hard to do cardio in the morning on an empty stomach - I can't work as hard without getting tired out and sometimes get dizzy. Is there anything I can do to stop this?

jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011
even after a full nights sleep glycogen stores will not be completely depleted - however iit will be significantly reduced in cells, and your body will focus on lipolizing fat.....

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
The way I look at it, eating one hour before cardio would not be considered fasted.

Personally, I don't want to use what's left in my stomach for fuel.

H

TheWig

TheWig

Dec 13, 2014
Well put!
Totally agree that things like this get blown way out of proportion. Fasted cardio has its benefits, but you don't need to suffer to benefit from it.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic