Latest Member
BluueWater_Hunter
What's New?

can I mix these in the same bag?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
The bit about eggs is debatable, the FDA recommends 145 degrees internally held for 15 seconds, whites set at between 144 and 149f and yolk sets between 149 and 158f, they are pasteurized at 140f when held at that temp for 3 and a half minutes, this means your egg may very well still have a non set yolk and still be safe by FDA standard. Statistics say your conventionally produced egg has a 1 in 10,000 (CDC stat) to 1 in 30,000 (Risk Analysis journal) chance of being considered contaminated with salmonella. Free range eggs have a lower risk and overall more nutrient dense eggs. I's say there is a risk to almost anything (much like my medium rare steak) but the size of the risk in this case is small not big.

The FDA food danger zone is 41 F - 135 F, others consider this zone to be 40 F - 140 F, The Food handler cert course here in canada says 4C and 60C and to keep food at 4C or below (39.2 F). Not allowing food to be in the danger zone for more than 2 hours (some places say 4). I keep my fridge at 38 F and most commercial kitchens I have seen use between 35 and 38 F. The EPA says 37 F but IMO they arent real important.

Couple references you would probably enjoy... www.foodprotect.org is the conference for food protection. This is where Industry/Regulators work on issues for incorporation into the food code. Its a pretty interesting process and sometimes when you're trying to figure out why the hell something is considered "safe" at this variable versus that, you may find the scientific arguments here. And in some cases you see where regulators just plain cave to industry pressure. Cool process though.

Otherwise, in the back of all editions of the FDA Food Code (not law mind you) the annex has a section called "Public Health Reasons." Sometimes thats good for a quick hit of info.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic