What's New?

Calories

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
So I know how to eat for diet but for strength I don't
I'm not asking for macro breakdowns just a very general answer
How many cals per pound of bw do you take in ?
Do you use lean body mass or weight in total ?

GreatGunz

GreatGunz

VIP
Jun 10, 2011
I believe it is 30 calories per pound of lean body weight

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
That's alot of food !

GreatGunz

GreatGunz

VIP
Jun 10, 2011
I've used it and yeah ur not starving, Now this isn't gonna stand up in court but I'm pretty sure I'm right.
Or I'm high but if its clean food .....

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
It gives me a bit of an idea. I'm am a fatty and can always do with less Food . This puts me at around 5850 for cals. Ill shoot for 4000 and see how my body reacts. Burning some serious fat but I also know I'm not eating enough right now

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
RR best I've been able to figure out is to bracket the training with the majority of your cals for the day. Carb up prior to training and replenish after training. Have one big cheat meal per week if you are feeling run down. Sip Gatorade while you train

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Rr this is what I'm trying now and I'm having good results.

1g protein per pound of body weight

1g carbohydrate per pound of body weight

.25g fat per pound of body weight.

It's reay easy to follow. Download My Fitness Pal also, it's great at tracking everything.

I've modified mine for my weight loss.

Now I'm doing about .75g - 1g protein per pound

.50g carbohydrate per pound

.25g per pound.

Once I'm back in the gym, the carbohydrates will go up.

You have to play with it to find your numbers.

jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011
I don't ever really eat for strength (i eat and train for max hypertrophy, size and do heavy compound lifts in off season) so discount my formula if you will but I like 1.75g protein per lb, 2.25g per lb carbohydrates, and .5-.65g fats per lb, an for bulkin I like to be around 1kcal above maintenance... That puts me around 3800 and I try to use the most calorically dense foods like steel cut oats etc

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
This is something I need to get back to doing and that's following my diet. I've always had good success with rotations where I rotate carbs, proteins, and fat amounts based on what I'd be doing that given day. I never had a no carb day. I preferred to do a High, Med, and Low day.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
"how many"? It will be different for all. Estimates are just that....estimates. RR, I am not sure of your stats...but 4000 cals a day is A LOT of food. Many people throw around numbers of cals and have no concept of what it truly means to eat that amount DAILY and consistently. How many of these guys that say they eat 4000 cal per day actually own a food scale and know how to use it? ( I am sure a few guys that are 250+ and not just fat do...but lots of guys out there much smaller claim very high intakes)

I can share with you this. I have a decent LBM and good strength. (5'9 210 aprox 12%bf) I "bulk" at 3600 cals daily. When I am eating at a slight surplus at aprox 3200. I "diet" at 2800 daily cals.

I have spent over two years tracking and planning macros (through deficits and surpluses) and I am well aware of the impact upon strength. (currently taking a break from tracking)

What I have found is strength is most connected with adequate carbs AND total cals. As small a surplus as 200 cal will allow the body to make continual strength gains. I have been able to stay in that small surplus for as long as 4-5 months while only gaining minimal fat and making tremendous strength gains.

I guess the key is, overeating in any amount will allow you to perform maximally in strength. But if excessive fat gain is a concern, then you want to eat as little of an excess as you can. I find I can not do this without close tracking. That will provide you the answer to your question. Anything else is just a guess.

sootywooty

sootywooty

MuscleHead
Sep 12, 2013
Hi! I think it also depends alot on your body type, and the condition you are in at present i believe, also the type of look you are aiming for, i use to keep around 12% BF all the time, now i have this diabetes i am at 8% BF, because of the low carbs i have to consume now to keep my blood sugars low.

But before i use to experiment alot with training and diet, mainly with different types of foods, I found i gained best, with good carbs and a good high protein diet, also never much more than about 3000 calories each day, i would recommend nearly double that for ectomorphic body types though.

This is for natural BB btw, i know before i got this diabetes i took my arms up to just short of 17 1/2 which is good for me as i was 12% BF at the time.

I think with the training part to aid the diet, it is best to work each body part well, whether with high reps or low reps, remember the joints, i was allways taught to train dont strain, look how a simple exercise like concentration curls can peak those biceps in time.

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic