Latest Member
SDUBUBLACK
What's New?

Cable Bill is killing me

any1uno

any1uno

MuscleHead
Dec 22, 2010
I hate our cable bill. So many channels but nothing really on. We're looking at purchasing a Roku (3) and an outdoor HD antennae for local channels. We have Netfilx, Amazon Prime and Hulu Plus. Am looking at Play-on bundle too. I heard that one service is no offering the NFL Streaming Channel. All in all...even paying $99 to $120 a year for each service is way cheaper then cable. Just have to keep internet!!!! (Screw the phone line..pay enough for cell phone service to have a homeline anyway.)

Just my two cents.

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
I'm pretty satisfied with my DirectTv, it's pricey though. Always had pretty good customer service and rarely goes out. I'm hooked on Sunday ticket so I couldn't switch if I wanted to.

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
I'm pretty satisfied with my DirectTv, it's pricey though. Always had pretty good customer service and rarely goes out. I'm hooked on Sunday ticket so I couldn't switch if I wanted to.

You get DirecTv in Pakistan?

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Fuk cable! I'd rather lift, bike, pick weeds, or shovel. There is always sumthin good on outside.....best part is its free

Billthebutcher

Billthebutcher

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2011
I had Timewarner for years JUST got uverse. **** ME its awesome! Picture is much better. I have 450 channels and wireless internet $105 for 12 months and they sent me $100 gift card. TIMEWARNER SUCKS

NDLessPSYcle

NDLessPSYcle

MuscleHead
Apr 1, 2011
I miss Uverse. I got it when it first came out. Awesome. Now I live somewhere I only have access to TW. My bill increases every year for the same service. Admin same deal. I said I'll just drop down to basic cable then (from the next step up) and they told me that actually makes me lose a promotion (not sure how that works as my bill increases) and that it would cost me $9 more a month. I even bought one of those antennas to get local stations and guess I still live in a shithole so that doesn't work either. Grrrrrr.....

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
We have Comcast here.... they f-ing SUCK....

When we first got them the internet was fast and reliable, now it cuts out all the time. Had them out twice to fix problems on their end and they keep trying to bill me for their mistakes.... and the service still sucks.

But, as far as the cable part goes.... we got rid of cable 2 years ago. Most shows are available online, and with the sony version of a Roku box we get everything we'd want on our TV without paying for cable

$80 a month for just internet..... it's a rip off, but still half the price of cable and we get the same thing.

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
Cable co's def have a monopoly and should be broke up like Ma Bell was. Comcast set the bar with their rates and everyone else is not going to be significantly lower. Do like I do, buy HBO when it has a series or something I want to see then cancel it, they usually offer up some bone to stay on but pffft no thanks. I was going to try ATT -UNI but friends complain about glitches in storms etc

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Im in the process of getting rid of cable as we speak.

I realized that my kids dont watch TV like I did. They are very much used to an 'on demand' lifestyle. They use their tablets as much as they do TV. Both kids have Nexus 7 tablets and itouch's.

So I am making the transition now. I just ordered a HD antenna which I will mount on my dish mount outside and route to all the TV's. I should get about 9 local broadcast HD network channels without issue. To this I am using Hulu Plus (which for $8, give you most of popular network TV). I am already an amazon Prime member, so I get their free on demand stuff. I dont think I will miss much of anything really.

I was talking my neighbor into it as well. Only issue for him is that he is a big sports fan. With a PS3 or 4 you can buy the NFL ticket and stream though it....so that solves his only problem.

I just updated with a new Samsung Smart TV. Really nice. I cant believe the content on youtube! I watched Bigger, stronger, faster on it....and a few other things. My kids spend more casting to the tv from their laptops and tablets. (youtube lets you play right to the TV).

There is also the Redbox app as well as several others if you want to rent movies...etc. Netflix as well.

Roku is a great option for non-'smart' tv's. So is Chromecast (which I already have). I am ordering a Roku3 though for our tv in the bedroom as Chromecast wont stream amazon.

The integration with the phones and ease of use is un real. There is TONS of content out there I have never seen. LOTS of popular series that me and wife can watch together.

The only transition is you have to watch with purpose......which I think will make my tv watching less a time killer and more of me searching for things I want to see ahead of time.

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
I got rid of cable a year ago, realized I was wasting my money. I only have internet, then with smart TV and all the other channels like netflix, amazon prime, I'll just pay to watch the new shows I really want to watch that are on cable. I went from 174 a month, to just $19 for cable, then with the subscriptions, it's an additional $20 a month. If you had Hulu in, then its $7 more. Any way you look at it, still cheaper.

Get Some

Get Some

MuscleHead
Sep 9, 2010
Uverse is the best IMO, but they are all way too pricey. It's worth it for me to get most of the movie channels, so I think it's the second package from the top and I pay about $130

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic