What's New?

Buying clothes

• Thread starter cockswole_gentleman
  • Start Date
cockswole_gentleman

cockswole_gentleman

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2023
As my now 12 year journey has been losing weight and getting into better shape through weight training and diet, I've always just gotten by with clothes that weren't real expensive, and would fit for a while. Thrift stores and Walmart were my go-to's.

I'm now to a place where I want to have some nice clothes, that fit well, and highlight my body, not cover it up. Problem is, now it's hard to find shit that fits. Everything is made for the shlumpy ass body.

I still don't want to spend a fortune, but I'm willing to pay more for something that looks good and fits! I went into men's wearhouse expecting to pay a couple hundred dollars for some shirts that fit. I was pleasantly surprised that they pointed me to the clearance racks. Lots of slim fit XL, XXL shirts on those racks. I am not affiliated with mens wearhouse, but I have become a fan. Three of the shirts I walked out with were 4.97. I'd suggest checking them out if you're struggling finding shit that fits.

Thrawn

Thrawn

MuscleHead
Jun 12, 2023
Not many slim XL and XXL people lol, men's Warehouse at Jos a Bank clearance website are my go to's. Jos a. Went down hill after mens warehouse buyout

Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
k&g men's warehouse if you have one local has amazing prices on all kinds of men's clothing. Most of their stuff is name brands but I bought full suits for under $100. They close the one where I live and the closest one to me now is in Dallas but they have some very highly fashionable clothes at about a third of most department store prices.

cockswole_gentleman

cockswole_gentleman

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2023
Not many slim XL and XXL people lol, men's Warehouse at Jos a Bank clearance website are my go to's. Jos a. Went down hill after mens warehouse buyout
I was thinking that exact thing! I picked up a bartending job over the winter where the clientele is about 60 percent female. Bitches be throwing money at me in these clothes

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
I always look for athletic fit, slim fit… anything else thats not a classic fat man fit. You can find some good finds for Apt 9 at Kohls, Macys or Calvin Klein outlet, or Hurley. Sam’s club also has good finds. I typically try to never buy clothes unless I have no other choice.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
I am lucky in that being retired I still have access to the PX. I complain about the prices and catering to 18-19 year olds all the time, but one thing I cannot complain about is their dress clothes. I pay a fraction of the price of retail for some pretty good stuff. I picked up a Calvin Klein slim fit suit that retails for $1300 for $179. I ended up buying one in black, gray, silver, royal blue and dark blue. Still can't find a decent shirt though. I buy my dress shirts from Tailored out of the UK. I think I spend $65-70, but it is based off my measurements, so it is as close to going to an actual tailor as you can get. I did pick up some nice sport coats at the Haggard outlet for like $50 each.

ValeTudo8080

ValeTudo8080

VIP Member
Aug 31, 2011
thanks I will have to check them out....i stopped paying high $$$ for clothes last year.

Rock Diesel

Rock Diesel

Mar 16, 2022
Men's Warehouse and Jos A Bank have done me well from time to time. There some outlet stores near me and I've been able to find some good options there. Sucks most bigger size clothes are made for the typical out of shape guy. I've found some pretty good buys at the Buckle here and there. I feel like I'm old for that store lol. There's quite a bit in there that would probably look ridiculous on me, but I'll occasionally come across some stuff that looks good and nicely fitted.

cockswole_gentleman

cockswole_gentleman

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2023
I went to another men's wearhouse as I was traveling, and checked out the clearance items. Bought several shirts and I saw a nice suit coat for 39.99. The bitch fit me nicely, and there was a pair of pants with it too. I said to the gal working there, "are you really selling me this jacket and pants for 40 bucks"? Yep, good deal she said.

When I checked out it scanned as a Joseph abboud custom 499.99. Clearance price 39.99. Someone had literally ordered that suit to their liking and never followed through with it. The pants aren't even hemmed yet. I went home a happy man, with one nice ass suit!

A

AlphaMale!

VIP Member
Dec 11, 2022
As my now 12 year journey has been losing weight and getting into better shape through weight training and diet, I've always just gotten by with clothes that weren't real expensive, and would fit for a while. Thrift stores and Walmart were my go-to's.

I'm now to a place where I want to have some nice clothes, that fit well, and highlight my body, not cover it up. Problem is, now it's hard to find shit that fits. Everything is made for the shlumpy ass body.

I still don't want to spend a fortune, but I'm willing to pay more for something that looks good and fits! I went into men's wearhouse expecting to pay a couple hundred dollars for some shirts that fit. I was pleasantly surprised that they pointed me to the clearance racks. Lots of slim fit XL, XXL shirts on those racks. I am not affiliated with mens wearhouse, but I have become a fan. Three of the shirts I walked out with were 4.97. I'd suggest checking them out if you're struggling finding shit that fits.
I have low bf

I have low bf but still need to buy XL or XXL shirts and it’s so frustrating to find a shirt that fits a well proportioned upper body.
Once you start getting up into the XL sizes, I’ve discovered that the “XL” part of it really just goes to increasing the waist size of the shirt.
So, I end up with a lot of shirts that fit properly across my chest and shoulders but are all flowing in the wind with extra material around my waist.
It’s like the clothing manufacturers know that most XL Americans aren’t fit XL’s but more like fat XL’s instead and so they market to that demographic.
It’s frustrating and so o do t shop for clothes very often.
I always go to the clothing store with high hopes and then walk out feeling dejected and clutching a pair of socks I bought instead.

genetic freak

genetic freak

VIP Member
Dec 28, 2015
The local dry cleaners has an old Korean lady who comes in a couple days a week. The lady can work some magic on alterations, so I really don't even care how it fits in the waist anymore. I just make sure my shirt fits in the neck, chest and arms and pants fit around my thighs then bring it in to her. She makes them look even better than they do on the models and that is not easy considering my chest to waist is a 17 inch difference and my waist to thighs is only a 4 inch difference. She charges $15 for most items and $20 for items where she needs to make a seem.

A

AlphaMale!

VIP Member
Dec 11, 2022
The local dry cleaners has an old Korean lady who comes in a couple days a week. The lady can work some magic on alterations, so I really don't even care how it fits in the waist anymore. I just make sure my shirt fits in the neck, chest and arms and pants fit around my thighs then bring it in to her. She makes them look even better than they do on the models and that is not easy considering my chest to waist is a 17 inch difference and my waist to thighs is only a 4 inch difference. She charges $15 for most items and $20 for items where she needs to make a seem.
I need to pay a visit to your Korean lady. I live in a small town and there just isn’t that kind of service available around here.
We used to have some tailor shops but they catered to the military and when they switched over from pressed to wash and wear uniforms, all of the local dry cleaners went out of business.
You can’t find a shoe repair shop around here anymore since the service members don’t polish their boots these days either.
I’m likely 100 miles from the nearest tailor.
Would be easier for me just to get fat.
We have plenty of fast food options here but few healthy alternatives.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic