Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Bulking/weight gain help

B

Buntsnasty

Aug 8, 2015
Hey guys i need some help, Ive been trying to put on weight for powerlifting for a couple months now with a goal of getting to 205 and have stalled out at 177, do you guys have any advice on what to do?

I have be eating this daily

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 1 cup egg whites, 1 cup of oatmeal (measured uncooked)

meal 2: 6-8 oz of lean ground beef, 1.5 cup brown rice

meal 3: 6-8 oz of chicken, 1.5 cups brown rice

meal 4: 6-8 oz of cod, 1 cup brown rice

meal 5: 1.25 cups egg whites, 1/2 cup oatmeal (measured uncooked), 1 cup cottage cheese

thanks in advance!

sityslicker1

sityslicker1

TID Board Of Directors
Oct 6, 2010
eat the whole egg instead of just the whites

and add more healthy fats

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
What slick said, you need a lot more fat in your macros there. Your current diet is cleaner than my contest prep...loosen up a little to grow. Quick fix:

Add a tablespoon of natty almond or PB to the a.m. oats.
Eat 1 Avocado thru the day, 1/2 with Chicken meal, 1/2 with cod or something
1/4 cup of raw or roasted almonds pre-bed with cottage cheese or a Blended Protein shake like Trutein or Syntrax Matrix 5.0.

You can also beef up calories with condiments (you ain't bodybuilding so why eat so clean). BBQ sauce with Beef meal, a pat of butter with the cod and maybe a little cheese on them eggs.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Hey guys i need some help, Ive been trying to put on weight for powerlifting for a couple months now with a goal of getting to 205 and have stalled out at 177, do you guys have any advice on what to do?

I have be eating this daily

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 1 cup egg whites, 1 cup of oatmeal (measured uncooked)

meal 2: 6-8 oz of lean ground beef, 1.5 cup brown rice

meal 3: 6-8 oz of chicken, 1.5 cups brown rice

meal 4: 6-8 oz of cod, 1 cup brown rice

meal 5: 1.25 cups egg whites, 1/2 cup oatmeal (measured uncooked), 1 cup cottage cheese

thanks in advance!

What the ****? You're eating like you're cutting for a bodybuilding comp man? Where is the burritos? Where are the poptarts? Carb up until your face hurts. And don't give me that I don't want to get fat nonsense. Eating carbs isn't going to make you fat. Switch this up to a very high carb, low fat and moderate protein diet. 60% carbs, 30% protein 10% fat. And don't be afraid to eat some junk.

If you're stalled out at 177 it means one thing. YOU ARE NOT EATING ENOUGH. It's truly that simple. Eat more. Eating "clean" like you are is not necessary. Keep your training volume up and you won't turn into a fat shit.

I would ****ing kill myself if I had to eat like that. Here is a typical day for me.

Breakfast:
A bunch of eggs
A pile of toast

Snack time
Poptarts

Lunch
Burrito at qdoba preferably or chipotle - double meat (just how your mom likes it)

Snack
Poptarts

Dinner
Slab o' meat - usually pork or beef
A few cups of rice or a couple potatoes

Snack
Frozen Yogurt or ice cream (usually fro yo for the non-fat thing)

Simple but those kinds of foods pack calories in.

T

tanu

Oct 16, 2015
Agree with above you need to gain some fat with muscle (thus the cutting cycle/period to hold the muscle and lose the fat) too difficult trying to do both, if even possible for many. Live a little, the fat helps avoid injuries when lifting heavy anyway.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
I wanted to get huge. I was told to go to youtube and type in:

Dave Tate weight gain

A vid will come up with him and John Meadows. Dave describes how he did it by eating multi mcDonald's breakfast sandwiches, followed by another meal or meals of Chinese food followed by multi large pizzas.

I did that and it worked. Then I did a check in with the doc and got holy hell.

In the middle stands virtue.

Meaning: your diet is extremely clean. Add some delicious cheat foods and add them especially in the morning and also pre and post workout.

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
Your current plan looks like a cutting diet. Here's a few tips from my bulking days:
in the morning, while you cook your eggs, make three peanut butter sandwiches. Pack these in your back pack, pocket, purse whatever.
get yourself a good quality hydro whey or similar in a fruity flavor. Mix 4-5 scoops with a gallon of water. Refrigerate.
go to Costco and get a case of snickers bars
put a pound of beef jerky in your car.

whenever you leave the house, take the gallon with you, drink copiously.
whenever you have downtime, commute, smoke break, whatever, eat a bp sandwich
snack on jerky while driving.
drink half and half in your coffee
eat a snickers p w o, in addition to whatever else you are eating, drinking.
you have just added 700-1000 calls to your day.

oh yeah, squat.

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
Lol i agree with a lot of the above posts. You need a lot more carbs and many different sources of carbs. If you are wanting to put on weight, no need for sticking to the brown rice. Definitely add in some healthy fats as well. As slick said, eat the whole eggs. I understand why you're splitting them up, but just go with the whole eggs.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
It all depends what you mean by "gain weight". If that means 'get fat' then by all means just pig out. If you want to maximize lean mass gain there are different rules for natural guys or guys on aas. (although the rules change for both depending on how advanced in training you are.

Natural training, all you need is a good consistent surplus daily. 250 cal is about ideal. This has you gaining a lb every 2 weeks. Depending on how far along you are in your training, this can be mostly muscle or as you approach 3-5 years in the gym, most the gains are fat and you are lucky to squeeze 2-3 lbs LBM out of a 5 month surplus after dieting back down.

For guys on AAS....especially guys well under their NATURAL genetic potential (meaning they started AAS long before they peaked naturally), they can safely eat 1000 cal surpluses and still gain mostly LBM with minimal fat. This soon goes away though as they approach later cycles and once again, if cals are not dialed back, most of the gain will be fat.

There is no secret to "gaining weight".....just simply eat more. The more time under the bar you have, the more critical how fast you gain the weight will be and the less margin of error there will be in your daily cals. AAS can help this, but in the end, eating will drive your progress even on drugs. AAS will not overcome a sub-optimal diet. (either nutritionally or total calories).

In closing, it all comes down to meeting minimum protein requirements along with fat and then the rest with carbs. From a compositional standpoint, you wont look much different if you get your carbs from table sugar or oatmeal.....or your fats from organic coconut oil, or KFC. (that is not to say there are not health differences).

Jasthace

Jasthace

MuscleHead
May 29, 2011
Add a sweet snack at the end of every meal. Chocolate is the best but you can use anything , cookies or cake etc.
You don't need much, just a row of chocolate{5 pieces} or a few cookies

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic