Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Blood pressure medicine ACE or ARB's

Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
I've always had higher blood pressure than normal. When I tried to join the Air Force when I was 17 they booted me because my blood pressure at that point was in the low 130 over 80. Has time has gone by over the years that it's crept up and up and up now my average is anywhere from 145 to 153 over 82 to 86.

I know that AAS definitely has something to do with it. I donate blood several times a year I try and do it every 2 months or so which makes me feel better and I'm sure my blood pressure is down a little bit afterwards or at least I feel like it. I take some supplements that's supposed to help with blood pressure but they are no longer of much help so I guess my next option is some type of blood pressure medicine. I don't want beta blockers because of the side effects. ARB's and ACE inhibitors work very close to the same but ARB seem to have less side effects.

Who here is on blood pressure medicine and what do you take? What are your thoughts on which route to go? I have a doctor's appointment and a couple of weeks but I always like to be informed just in case the doctor is not.

I'm looking at losartan (ARB)

Or

Trandolaprol (ACE)

I've read a lot on every drug and these seem to be the most effective with the least amount of side effects. Anybody take either one of these?? I don't want to end up stroking out and having continuous blood pressure close to 150 is definitely not good and it's time I make some

My diet is good my weight is solid for my size I do cardio pretty much every day I just genetically have high blood pressure.

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
Just had this discussion with my imaging cardiologist. I have HCM, non-obstructive, mild and stable. Just had a cardiac MRI this week. I take 20 mg of propranolol in the am and 30 pm for essential tremor and 10 mg lisinopril pm. Along with cardio and lifting (light anymore) I stay in the 120's/70's (non stressed). After discussing my MRI, we talked about BP and he said the ARBs are better for BP control than ACEi. I told him I had tried telmisartan (ARB) but the ACEi worked better. I think it depends on the subject, like PEDs and everything else, we all respond differently. I think the best approach is to try one, monitor BP daily and give it some time, everything else consistent (PEDs, diet and training), then switch to the other and give it time. See which one works better and has less sides. ACEi and ARBs are the least likely of all the BP meds to cause common sides or affect performance. Plus ANGII is one key pathway to adverse cardiac remodeling with androgens, thus ACEi or ARBs are protective in theory.

I

Iron1

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2021
Blood pressure meds are usually trial and error to see what your body responds to. Not all blood pressure issues have the same root cause so there's no magic bullet that will treat all of them.

I've tried a number over the years, beta blockers, ACE inhibitors but I'm getting the best results with my current regiment of Valsartan HCTZ which is an ARB + Thiazide diuretic combination.

Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
Thank you both for the solid answers from the research I've read on and based on everything that I can put together I'm coming up with the same conclusion as you guys one may be better for me but the opposite one may be better for someone

I've tried Thiazide diuretic and it does lower blood pressure a little bit but the side effect is almost 100% ED. That's why I'm looking at the ACE inhibitors and arbs they're less likely to cause that issue.

This has been an ongoing issue for decades just genetics I guess but now that it's getting into the high 140s low 150s I really need to get serious about lowering it I just always been against taking prescriptions but my herbal supplements are not quite cutting it anymore.

Thank you very very much

Like Quote

beefnewton

beefnewton

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2022
ACE's work fantastically for me, but be aware a common quality-of-life killing side effect called "ACE cough." Unfortunately, it happens to me, so I can't take them. It's such a horrible cough. It will wake you up all night long, and it takes weeks to go away once you stop taking the medicine. If you don't get the cough, you're lucky. I wish I didn't because they work so well (for me).

I had no results with CCB's and don't like beta blockers for obvious reasons. ARB's were mixed, but I found that Diovan worked well for me. However, over the longer term (6+ months), it seemed to start impacting my heartrate and cardio performance. I weaned off (not sure that's even necessary) and am fine now. My blood pressure is great when I eat clean.

W

Wilson6

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2019
With diuretics there is the issue of hemoconcentration, so if you're already high (Hct) that might be pushing the viscosity and clotting issue a little too much, plus that lowers cardiac output and work capacity.

Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
So a quick follow-up. I started on Losacar 25mg last night was my 4th dose. My blood pressure is down from normally 145/155 over 85/95 and I check it very regularly at the same time each day. Today M y blood pressure was 127/79, 131/83, 127/71. I do three tests in a row and average them.

I am actually taken aback by this being so..... normal? I have always had elevated BP. It actually kept me from being able to join the Airforce back when I was almost 18.

Is this a normal thing to adjust BP that quickly? Should I be alarmed or relieved?

Thrawn

Thrawn

MuscleHead
Jun 12, 2023
So a quick follow-up. I started on Losacar 25mg last night was my 4th dose. My blood pressure is down from normally 145/155 over 85/95 and I check it very regularly at the same time each day. Today M y blood pressure was 127/79, 131/83, 127/71. I do three tests in a row and average them.

I am actually taken aback by this being so..... normal? I have always had elevated BP. It actually kept me from being able to join the Airforce back when I was almost 18.

Is this a normal thing to adjust BP that quickly? Should I be alarmed or relieved?
It is normal to adjust quickly. Losacar works within an hr, with full benefit 3 to 4 wks of being on.

Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
It is normal to adjust quickly. Losacar works within an hr, with full benefit 3 to 4 wks of being on.
Thank you very much. I figured it would take much more time. I actually feel calmer than I have recently. I don't know if my higher PB was making me more anxious or just pressure causing other issues but I feel extremely good.

Warhead14

Warhead14

TID Board Of Directors
Jul 23, 2011
I take losartan. I have used, Benicar and Diovan. They work great for me. Tried an ACE, got short of breathe..

beefnewton

beefnewton

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2022
I tried many across all classifications, aside from beta blockers. Hardly anything worked, but Diovan worked well for me. But since getting off orals, I no longer have a problem with my blood pressure. Who would have thought taking Anavar for over three years straight would have been a problem? Proviron, too... but I thought that was supposed to be relatively safe.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic