Members
Latest Member
Rolanalon
What's New?

Birth control options: the pill vs IUD

G

Geisha

May 4, 2014
Ever consider using over the counter BC like the sponge or spermicidal injections? Been using it for years in addition to the pull out method with much success.
Sidenote: My body had really bad side effects to pill/depo/patch/nuvaring/and the pill. So I am anti any BC method being put into my body that can dissolve overnight

DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
Ever consider using over the counter BC like the sponge or spermicidal injections? Been using it for years in addition to the pull out method with much success.
Sidenote: My body had really bad side effects to pill/depo/patch/nuvaring/and the pill. So I am anti any BC method being put into my body that can dissolve overnight

If you're going to use the sponge, you need to find a sponge-worthy guy, which proved to be a problem for Elaine.

K

Kitty Kat

Sep 19, 2014
I've been wondering for a while if my higher fat and limited gains were thanks to my depo, but it's been over a decade and only recently has started to become a query and now a growing annoyance. Looked into iuds, seems like a good 10 to 15 in 100 fall out of place especially if you haven't had kids, and though I'm over 30 I keep being told I will change my mind and they don't terribly want to give me one.. I see no bleeding mentioned here. From my reading that is more common with hormonal iuds.. Copper seems more likely to give one the opposite bleed like a stuck pig side effect instead. I'm still reading.. But am starting to think there is no really great option.

Donny Berger

Donny Berger

Oct 4, 2013
my gf has the copper iud. shes far less crazy than when she was on the pill which is cool but it makes her periods longer and messier. I also feel it poking me every once in a while

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
I've been wondering for a while if my higher fat and limited gains were thanks to my depo, but it's been over a decade and only recently has started to become a query and now a growing annoyance. Looked into iuds, seems like a good 10 to 15 in 100 fall out of place especially if you haven't had kids, and though I'm over 30 I keep being told I will change my mind and they don't terribly want to give me one.. I see no bleeding mentioned here. From my reading that is more common with hormonal iuds.. Copper seems more likely to give one the opposite bleed like a stuck pig side effect instead. I'm still reading.. But am starting to think there is no really great option.

A Mirena - has a very small dose slow-release dose of progest in it that helps a lot w/ the bleeding typically experienced on a copper IUD. As you noted, most OB/GYNs will discourage you from getting involved in an IUD if you are of childbearing age. When I got my first one, I was in my early 40s and they had to submit the request as a "special study" or some such thing to get it. However it was covered by my insurance (I was reimbursed later). I also had nearly no bleeding and my period reduced significantly.

Otherwise (I didn't read this whole thread), previous to the Mirena, I've used a Nuvaring as well as very-low dose estro/progest pills that had very little impact on my natural fat depositing tendencies. At a min, I'd suggest working w/ your OB/GYN to find the right solution for you, or find one that will support you in a request for an IUD.

B

BleezyF

Jul 18, 2014
I switched from the pill to Mirena 6 months ago - BEST DECISION I HAVE EVER MADE. Now, I can't say the same for everyone, but I absolutely love it.
I was miserable and crazy on the pill - since Mirena I have felt fantastic. I spot a little every month now - not a full blown "period". The hormones are low enough I don't even notice them. After coming off the pill and doing a low dose cycle I am super happy with my physique, and find that the leanness is much more maintainable than it was on the pill.

My BF can definitely feel it sometimes though - I went back in and got the strings cut as short as they could, helped for the most part but he still gets jabbed occasionally ;-)

Vikingquest

Vikingquest

Dec 30, 2013
My girl was "on the pill" twice when we had kids. She either forgot or intentionally didn't take the pills. She now has the iud and it's not horrible uncomfortable but I can feel it when we have sex. The longer you have sex, the more it rubs.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic