Latest Member
Joannafit
What's New?

Big Cat

Big Cat

Big Cat

RIP
Dec 11, 2011
Hi, my name is Peter, but since year and day I’ve gone by the moniker Big Cat in the online bodybuilding community. I started on bodybuilding.com in the late 90’s and helped that site grow to what it is today. At some point around 2002-2003 It got to the point that so much of the content and the forum involvement came from me, that people thought it was my site. We got it up to some 2 million unique hits a day in that time, and seeing where it is now, I only wish it was my site :p I was head moderator there for a long time after. Back then my interest was very broad, but in the late ‘90’s I was fresh out of high school. 2 Masters degrees (Biochem and molecular bio) later, my interest was somewhat narrowed and it became increasingly harder to write pieces that explained the science of things in layman’s terms, the pieces that had somewhat paved my way in the online community. Around that time I met Karl Hoffman (Nandi) @cuttingedgemuscle and he was a driving factor in my continued involvement and expanding my horizons in regard to biochemistry and the reason Type I nuclear receptor Physiology became my primary field of research. The highlight came when Matt Boldt asked Nandi to make a compendium of ergogenics, and nandi brought me on board to help him write it. Sadly only months later nandi succumbed to complication of a genetic affliction at a much too young age (50) and I lost my friend and mentor.

That was the first blow that made me rethink things, the second came not too long after when my girlfriend at the time got pregnant. Fatherhood and family life rapidly rewrote my priorities, as did joining the work force. My decreased Involvement at BB.com wasn’t warmy received, nor did I receive much support from my supposed friends there (I have to add that I was also somewhat a figure of some controversy, which had something to do with it. I take my research seriously) and before long I was no longer a moderator there. Along with the strong shift that site was taking to be more mainstream, my involvement with the forum ended completely and abruptl y shortly after. Aside from CEM, where I became co-admin after nandi’s untimely passing, I got picked up by some old friends from the BB.com era, Gimp and raybravo, who had started another project, Muscle and science. Unfortunately it was hard for me to stay actively involved. With all I had going on and my ADHD it is very hard for me to keep up with things these days unless I get ample feedback and motivation. My involvement faded to next to nothing at both sites and I think I’ve been all but absent from the online bodybuilding community since. At that time I got dealt another major blow when I found out that my fiancée and the mother of my two children had been cheating on me for a month, since our youngest was only 8 weeks old. I got into a dark period in my life then, that I barely survived, but as the cliché would have it I came out stronger. I’ve since met someone new and not three years later we bought a house together, have plans to get married, and there may even be a third baby in my future, god willing, even though I said two was more than enough after the second was born :p I changed jobs to be able to see my kids more and all seems to be settling down right now again. For the first time in my life I seem to have found some peace of mind.
Despite my absence from the public eye, my research went on unabated, although its now mostly in the service of other researching students in various fields who are looking to make sport, bodybuilding or ergogenics their field, or part of their field of study. I try to help who I can, which has been very feasible, since I now only deal with questions from the few people who still know my reputation from back then AND were able to find my contact data, amouinting to maybe ten mails a week as opposed to the overwhelming 250 mails a day I was trying to struggle through in college in ’04 and ’05. Since 2001 I have also been very involved in training athletes of all calibers, assisting them in every aspect of their training : exercise, nutrition, ergogenics, mental acuity and rest. I’ve helped athletes win national, European and world titles. I still train athletes to some extent, but not as intensively in the past. Since ’06, when I started working at an environmental company some ways from home, I invested in a home gym, due to lack of time, and that also took away my ability to be in the gym with my athletes to a large degree. I suppose you could say my role has gone much more from being a trainer to being a consultant.

I’m hoping to get more active again, and hope to find some role for myself in which I can be of continuing help to the worldwide bodybuilding community, without taking away from my day to day responsibilities. I’ve heard a few good things about this board, and I look forward to giving it a shot !

captaincaveman

captaincaveman

TID Board Of Directors
Oct 17, 2010
Welcome aboard Big Cat. Glad to have you. Plenty to keep your attention here brother.

Best,
-CC-

Halo

Halo

VIP Member
Jul 5, 2011
Really glad you chose TID to pop in on BC! I've read many of your articles as I'm sure others have as well. Great to have you here, hope you find this is the place to make home base! Welcome back!

mugzy

mugzy

TID Board Of Directors
Aug 11, 2010
Great to have another experienced long time veteran on TID, Welcome.

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010
welcome over bro...u will see this board is put together very well....also to mention many old vets come here along with mods from other boards come here and join inn....deadweight

ajdos

Friends Remembered
Sep 8, 2010
Hey BigCat its good to see you again, I was part of MaS and I remember when you came over from bb.com. I remember reading your AAS profiles on bb.com when I was still a fledgling.
Welcome to TID.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
welcome to the iron den Big Cat! it is wonderful to have such a great scientific mind join us! im excited to read what you have to say and learn from all your experience! thanks for joining us! admin here is second to none! :D

Rein

Rein

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2010
I remember when I was all new to the steroid stuff like 5 years ago. I wouldn't stop reading your articles on bb! It's great to have you here now! :)

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
Great story Big Cat, well except for the wife part. Welcome to TID, look forward to reading.

Stumpy

Stumpy

Olé, Olé, Olé VIP
Sep 29, 2010
Welcome aboard, great to have you here.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic